Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Bikes

Unread 2015-07-26, 11:20 PM   #1
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 63
Default Got a new ride (road bike)

I figured after about 20 years it was time to retire my 1995 GT Backwoods mountain bike and get back on a road bike. Way back in the day, I use to own a 1989 Schwinn Prelude which I road all over this town in my young teens. Apparently those bikes were the shit and are worth a lot of money now. I owned a few mountain bikes after that but never got into mountain biking. I decided to spend a little bonus money and buy a new road bike, do something I once loved, and get back into shape while doing it. I ended up buying a $500 Motobecane Mirage SLX. It's an aluminum frame, carbon fiber forks, 24 speed, and Shimano STI. It went to Trek and some local shops, but an equivalent bike would have been $800-1,100.

God it's fun riding this. It's so fast and I totally missed the road bike acceleration, handling, feel, position, etc. It fits in the back of the WRX no problem either by just removing a wheel.

Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-07-27, 07:39 AM   #2
TagUndNacht

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 5
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Nice Bike!

Did you buy from a shop selling used bikes, or previous year models, or did you buy from a private seller?

I am currently looking in that price range as well $400-$700 but am finding a lot of the shops are starting at $799 and up to about $1,200 for what I would like.
TagUndNacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-07-27, 09:22 AM   #3
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagUndNacht View Post
Nice Bike!

Did you buy from a shop selling used bikes, or previous year models, or did you buy from a private seller?

I am currently looking in that price range as well $400-$700 but am finding a lot of the shops are starting at $799 and up to about $1,200 for what I would like.
It's a new bike from Bikesdirect.com and it is a model that they've been selling since mid 2014. They sell other brands, but everything they carry is stuff you wouldn't see in a store. Back in the day, Motobecane was a well known bike maker. They ended up going bankrupt, Bikesdirect bought the name and started selling bikes under that name. The Motobecane frames are made in Taiwan and China, just like Trek, Specialized and most all the other bike names. The primary reason the Motobecanes and other bikes Bikesdirect sells are 30-50% cheaper is because you're buying directly from the manufacturer rather than the middle man and you have to assemble the bike a bit (takes maybe 30 minutes). From what I've read, the Motorbecanes are very well built and well suited for the average rider and many triathletes buy them as well. The bikes are typically outfitted with average to above average brand name equipment such as the shifters, derailleurs, brakes, wheels, etc. None of the parts are one off and you can get the bike serviced/repaired anywhere.

The Trek equivalent to this bike would cost me right at $1,000. I wasn't going to risk buying used because I'm tall and finding a bike that would fit me would be difficult plus many of the used road bikes being sold are higher end bikes with $1,000-2,000 asking prices.
Unread 2015-07-27, 10:33 PM   #4
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 111
Thanks (Received): 185
Likes (Given): 528
Likes (Received): 1137

WRX and a Motobecane?!?! :highfive: What's next, you gonna turn that 199X mountain bike into an e-bike?
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump

Last edited by Corners; 2015-07-27 at 10:42 PM..
Corners is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-07-27, 11:05 PM   #5
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Yeah, I've been watching your thread. Amazing stuff.
Unread 2015-07-31, 12:44 PM   #6
Username:*
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 167
Likes (Given): 335
Likes (Received): 997
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 10

Nice bike! I've been looking at mountain bikes on their site a lot lately. I want one to compliment my hybrid, but don't want to spend as much since I don't see me using it nearly as often.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport 6mt
Username:* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-07-31, 08:28 PM   #7
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username:* View Post
Nice bike! I've been looking at mountain bikes on their site a lot lately. I want one to compliment my hybrid, but don't want to spend as much since I don't see me using it nearly as often.
They're good bikes. The only thing "missing" might be some changes in frame technology ( tapered headsets for example). Their frames use proven, traditional construction, which makes servicing and finding parts very easy. You also give up any tune-up support from a bike store, so you're on your own as far as shifting, brake, and wheel truing. But if you enjoy that kind of thing like I do, it can save you a bunch of money. Really, most bicycle serving is pretty easy and you only need a few bicycle specific tools.
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Unread 2015-08-08, 03:23 PM   #8
cseaman

Post Thanks / Like

Time for some clipless pedals, asap.
Unread 2015-08-09, 12:27 PM   #9
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 412
Likes (Received): 401
Dislikes (Given): 2

Well damn, never heard of Motobecane. We just bought Trek bikes this past Spring and probably paid too much for them in comparison.
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-10, 02:40 PM   #10
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
Time for some clipless pedals, asap.
I waivered. I'm sticking with the old school approach LOL. I know it's not as efficient, but it really doesn't bother me. If I really get into cycling, then maybe I'll be able to justify the $150+ for pedals and shoes. Hell, I bought my first helmet a couple of weeks ago. Feels so weird.
Unread 2015-08-13, 09:08 PM   #11
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
I waivered. I'm sticking with the old school approach LOL. I know it's not as efficient, but it really doesn't bother me. If I really get into cycling, then maybe I'll be able to justify the $150+ for pedals and shoes. Hell, I bought my first helmet a couple of weeks ago. Feels so weird.
If you're not a weight weenie and want a dual platform pedal, I bought these last fall.

http://www.amazon.com/XLC-Alloy-Trek...platform+pedal

$24.

And just as a lot of reviews said, the bearings were built WAY too tight from the factory. However, if you take them apart, repack with grease, they're smooth as can be and just as good as the shimano brand I use on another bike. I use these SPD cleated pedals in lieu of the traditional road bike pedal. SPD's are typically used in more mountain bike riding, but I like them because SPD cleated shoes look like normal shoes and you can walk around in them just fine. Road bike shoes suck if you like to get off and walk around.
Unread 2015-08-17, 10:06 AM   #12
Username:*
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 167
Likes (Given): 335
Likes (Received): 997
Dislikes (Given): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

http://www.amazon.com/Venzo-Shimano-...1VFBQA985XVMM7

I've seen these brought up a few times on biking forums I lurk on. Seems like a decent kit for the money and the reviews aren't bad.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport 6mt
Username:* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-23, 02:59 PM   #13
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corners View Post
Road bike shoes suck if you like to get off and walk around.
That's where much of the problem lies. About 50% of my riding will be with my family and we stop, throw rocks in creeks, act like American Ninja Warriors on playground equipment and climb rocks, go restaurants, etc. Riding shoes just don't make a lot of sense for the riding I'll be doing.
Unread 2015-09-29, 07:43 AM   #14
zmenace

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 147
Likes (Received): 15
Dislikes (Received): 1

Have you ever thought of a city shoe? or possibly a mountain bike shoe?
This could work for you.
http://www.rei.com/product/881856/gi...ike-shoes-mens
zmenace is offline   Reply With Quote