Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Pets, Animals, Nature

Unread 2014-03-11, 03:29 PM   #1
JPage

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 78
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 10
Default Rott / Lab Mix Puppy

First things first : I did read the sticky. I currently have a 6 year old apricot miniature poodle that I love like the son I've never had. He is in fact, my second apricot mini, and although he looks exactly like his predecessor their personalities could not be more polar opposite!

Empress

With that being said, I have a Rottweiler Labrador mix puppy that I need to find a home for. My brother-in-law is going through a divorce and called us up for help taking her to a shelter. His soon-to-be-ex showed up at the house, took one dog, left the other, and turned all the utilities off. In my brother-in-law's defense, he couldn't find anyone to take her, couldn't keep her where he is currently living, and was going to have to spend around $400 for Wayside Waifs to take her. Since my wife and I are greatly opposed to kill shelters we decided to take her in.

We've had her for about a week and she is an absolute sweetheart. Unfortunately, she is also a puppy. My poodle and her don't get along very well. I'm afraid he's finally going to bite her instead of snapping and she IS easily 3 times his size. Added to that, my wife did not realize the unending fountain of energy puppies possess and how much work she would be. My daughter lacks the patience to work with her which leaves me, who cannot spend every waking hour with her.

She loves to lick, think's she is a lap dog, and is highly affectionate. She definitely needs a constant supply of chew toys if you don't want her chewing on your stuff. She listens fairly well when she's not full on in play mode. If she is, you have to corral her and calm her down to get her to listen. She was allowed on the furniture and slept in bed at her previous home but we've not been allowing that. She responds fairly well to a squirt bottle to reiterate NO. (surprising since she's part lab) She will fetch if she's in the mood, but won't drop the stick. She is mostly potty trained. She's peed in the house once and pooped once also, although these were separate occurrences. The poop incident was us not considering the fact that she couldn't hold it through the night like our older dog can. Since then, we have fed her dinner earlier in the day, and pick up any uneaten food around 7pm. My daughter lets her about right before bed and again immediately when she gets up.

So I am looking for a family that is active enough to play with her to her hearts content, and patient enough to train her properly. To my knowledge, she has not had any shots etc. She has not been spayed since she has not had her first menstrual cycle. I don't know whom they bought her from. She still has her full tail and dew claws.

I have a dog bed, a partial big bag of Ol Roy dog food, chew sticks, couple balls, and brush that will go with her.

I have her on CL and have asked for a rehoming fee there to keep the crazies at bay. If I can find a good home through KCSR, I won't be asking for anything. I'll just be happy she's not sitting in a cage hoping she gets adopted.

I'm sure everyone will have questions and comments, so please have at it. I'll try to answer when I can.

Thanks.
JPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-03-11, 03:34 PM   #2
dylanjacobus

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 193
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 3

Thats a sucky situation all around. I wish we could take her, but my wife and I are chock full of animals at the moment. I hope she finds a great home.
dylanjacobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-03-11, 07:38 PM   #3
JPage

Post Thanks / Like

Was able to talk to my brother-in-law this evening about Empress. She came from a farm in the Butler, MO area. Both parents and all her siblings were out door dogs. Wasn't anyone who bred dogs, just someone with a dog that got knocked up.

I've already had 2 responses from Craigslist but I'm still leery of going that route. Hoping someone on here will be interested or know someone. I figure if you're on here, someone else on here probably knows you and can vouch for you etc.
Unread 2014-03-11, 11:31 PM   #4
Prolific

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 446
Thanks (Received): 103
Likes (Given): 3802
Likes (Received): 840
Dislikes (Given): 110
Dislikes (Received): 22

Looks like a sweetheart.
1995 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy has a EK View Post
your just a dumb ass fuck this im done with these dumdasses!.
Prolific is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-03-12, 08:55 AM   #5
hvymtl939

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 209
Likes (Received): 136
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 1

I want her so bad, but I'm not sure she and my pom would get along well. Can you elaborate more on her behavior with the poodle?
hvymtl939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-03-12, 09:33 AM   #6
JPage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymtl939 View Post
I want her so bad, but I'm not sure she and my pom would get along well. Can you elaborate more on her behavior with the poodle?

She wants to play. All the time. So she's always in his face etc. trying to play with him. He can growl or snap at her and she just comes back for more. My brother-in-law said that their other dog and cat had both nipped her and she just backs up, reevaluates, and goes back in. She never bit either of them, nor my dog, but doesn't understand NO means NO.

------

I've had 4 emails through Craigslist for her that I'm going to start responding to today. Inform people of my rehoming fee and desire to meet them at THEIR house so I can see their yard etc. and make sure they're not puppy mills etc.
Unread 2014-03-12, 11:23 AM   #7
hvymtl939

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPage View Post
She wants to play. All the time. So she's always in his face etc. trying to play with him. He can growl or snap at her and she just comes back for more. My brother-in-law said that their other dog and cat had both nipped her and she just backs up, reevaluates, and goes back in. She never bit either of them, nor my dog, but doesn't understand NO means NO.

------
My pom is kind of a grumpy old bastard, and doesn't like anyone interrupting his constant naps, so I don't think they would mesh very well. I really hope you can find her a wonderful home.
Unread 2014-03-12, 07:06 PM   #8
JPage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymtl939 View Post
My pom is kind of a grumpy old bastard, and doesn't like anyone interrupting his constant naps, so I don't think they would mesh very well. I really hope you can find her a wonderful home.
Haven't had any luck so far. Responded to 4 emails through CL today. No responses. Don't know if it was the $75 rehoming fee or my desire to meet them at their house so I can see the yard and living conditions...
Unread 2014-03-12, 07:39 PM   #9
snm95ls

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 394
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 3562
Likes (Received): 2052
Dislikes (Given): 64
Dislikes (Received): 56

What a cute pup. We had a rott for 10 years, and he was absolutely awesome. Being a mix with a lab is even better IMO.

I can't have pets at my current place.

Hope she goes to a great home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
...Because I live on a balanced diet, I have a balanced mind, and as a result I know that animals are like people. Some are for looking at. Some are for loving. Some are for riding. And some need to be shot because they’re a bloody nuisance.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-03-12, 09:33 PM   #10
jdne5b

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 58
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

There are no kill, open intake shelters in the area that dont charge you to drop a dog off.

I would not let someone from CL come to my place. Too much could go wrong. Too many stories of people coming back and stealing the dog and making off with the "rehoming fee"

Not saying thats you, but thats how I would be.

Maybe... have them take pictures of their place with a newspaper or some other easily identifiable marker, but you wont know exactly where their house is?? I would send someone pics of my yard and fence, but thats about it.

Ive adopted 2 dogs from area Shelters. Unleashed and KC Pet Project. I know someone who works at Independence Great Plains SPCA. All of these are free open intake shelters.

My house is full of doghair enough all ready or I would seriously consider your pup. Good luck!
jdne5b is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-03-13, 08:49 AM   #11
JPage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdne5b View Post
There are no kill, open intake shelters in the area that dont charge you to drop a dog off.

I would not let someone from CL come to my place. Too much could go wrong. Too many stories of people coming back and stealing the dog and making off with the "rehoming fee"

Not saying thats you, but thats how I would be.

Maybe... have them take pictures of their place with a newspaper or some other easily identifiable marker, but you wont know exactly where their house is?? I would send someone pics of my yard and fence, but thats about it.

Ive adopted 2 dogs from area Shelters. Unleashed and KC Pet Project. I know someone who works at Independence Great Plains SPCA. All of these are free open intake shelters.

My house is full of doghair enough all ready or I would seriously consider your pup. Good luck!
KC Pet Project will only take dogs if you live in Kansas City city limits. I'll check out Unleashed and Independence Great Plains SPCA.

Thanks!
Unread 2014-03-13, 01:19 PM   #12
JPage

Post Thanks / Like

Spoke with someone at Unleashed. They're full on larger dogs and are actively pulling large dogs out of kill facilities in KC.

Tried calling Great Plains SPCA numerous times and can't even get someone to answer the phone. Not even any information on their website about surrendering dogs that I can find.

I'm at a loss. It's to the point now that I can't let the dogs be together without supervision.
Unread 2014-03-15, 05:14 PM   #13
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 267
Thanks (Received): 319
Likes (Given): 1963
Likes (Received): 2502
Dislikes (Given): 40
Dislikes (Received): 51

Trying to talk my friends into this. They have a rott/lab mix already
uprrman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-03-17, 03:59 PM   #14
jdne5b

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 58
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Have your BIL take the dog to Great Plains.
jdne5b is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-03-26, 01:13 PM   #15
JPage

Post Thanks / Like

Still looking for a home for Empress. Thought I had my wife talked into keeping her, but she just can't handle the added stress on top of working full time, school part time, and being disabled.

Great Plains SPCA is still incapable of answering phones, but from the little I could find on their website, they only take in animals from Independence and unincorporated Jackson County.

My older dog has gotten more use to her, but she's still hyper as all get out. She has been responding well to training with a spray bottle, but it's slow going.

Called today about spaying and some shots and it's going to run $140. Was not expecting THAT.
Unread 2014-04-23, 03:05 PM   #16
JPage

Post Thanks / Like

I need to get rid of Empress ASAP before my wife does me harm.

She has been spayed and has her first 2 "rounds" of shots. (3 more to go)

I'm not looking for anyone to buy her, just provide her a good home.
Unread 2014-04-27, 05:31 PM   #17
JPage

Post Thanks / Like

Found her a home.

Thanks to anyone who asked around for me.
Unread 2014-05-02, 09:44 AM   #18
hvymtl939

Post Thanks / Like

So glad to here she found a good home!
Unread 2014-05-02, 09:57 AM   #19
dylanjacobus

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 193
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 3

Very happy she found a home. I hope its a forever one.
dylanjacobus is offline   Reply With Quote