Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Sports and Recreation

Unread 2018-02-05, 11:54 PM   #1
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 88
Likes (Received): 354
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 20
Default Kansas City Chiefs 2018

Starting a new thread for all the info on the Chiefs for the 2018 season.
Unread 2018-02-07, 10:41 AM   #2
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Kansas City Chiefs: Backup quarterback options for 2018

(Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

The Kansas City Chiefs need a backup quarterback and there are some decent ones on the free agent market this offseason.

The 2017 NFL season has officially wrapped up and the next big event is the start of free agency next month. The Kansas City Chiefs probably won’t be big participants in the free agent sweepstakes, but they do need a backup quarterback (and a third string guy at that), which they might have to acquire via free agency.

Setting us up for this big moment was the Chiefs trading Alex Smith to Washington, leading the way for Patrick Mahomes to be the starting quarterback in 2018. While that’s fantastic and Chiefs Kingdom couldn’t be more excited, the team now needs a backup in case something happens to Mahomes (knock on wood PLEASE).
There are some decent options in free agency, but it’s definitely worth noting that whoever were to be brought in would be a backup for a reason. They’re either not good enough to be starters or they’re still unproven.
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at some of the best options for the Chiefs at the backup quarterback spot.

(Photo by Chet Strange/Getty Images)

BACKUP QUARTERBACK OPTIONS FOR 2018: NUMBER 5 – DRAFT PICK

Not only do the Kansas City Chiefs have a backup spot open, but they need a third string quarterback as well. A draft pick could be the answer for one of those two spots, but I doubt it’s at the backup spot unless the Chiefs absolutely strike out in free agency.

The Chiefs, as we all know, drafted Patrick Mahomes last year and traded up to tenth overall to do so. That means they probably aren’t adding another quarterback in this year’s draft with their first few picks.
If Kansas City does look to target a quarterback in the draft, it’d be in the later rounds, and even then, that guy probably doesn’t have a legitimate chance to win the backup job. Names to watch for though would be Kyle Lauletta (Richmond), Nic Shimonek (Texas Tech), or even Tanner Lee (Nebraska).
I do think the Chiefs could add a quarterback via the draft, but unless it’s an early round pick (so many other needs), that quarterback isn’t going to be anything more than a third stringer. This is always an option for the Chiefs, as they have drafted quarterbacks late in the past.
Now, let’s get to some names who could be legitimate options as backups in Kansas City.

Kevin Hogan (Photo by: 2017 Nick Cammett/Diamond Images/Getty Images)

BACKUP QUARTERBACK OPTIONS FOR 2018: NUMBER 4 – KEVIN HOGAN

Truth be told, I wouldn’t have even thought of Kevin Hogan had my co-editor Ben Almquist not mentioned him as a backup option in his free agency post earlier this offseason. After he brought up the idea, it honestly made a lot of sense.
Hogan was drafted by the Chiefs in the fifth round of the 2016 NFL Draft and didn’t make it out of preseason, at least not with the Chiefs. He was claimed by the Cleveland Browns and actually appeared in games with them during his two years there.
Hogan has playing experience and has shown he can start a game if need be.

In his limited action as an NFL quarterback (eight games with one start), Hogan threw for 621 yards, four touchdowns, and seven interceptions. He’s also rushed for 176 yards and a score. The stats aren’t great, but Hogan is familiar with the Chiefs system and wouldn’t be a terrible option to have as a backup.
The former Stanford quarterback is an exclusive rights free agent this offseason, according to Spotrac, and that means Hogan will likely be on the market. It’d be tough to see the Browns keeping Hogan on their roster, considering they have the number one and four overall picks, could attempt to sign someone in free agency, and still have DeShone Kizer.
This isn’t a scenario that would excite Chiefs fans, but it wouldn’t be the worst move in the world either. Hogan has playing experience and has shown he can start a game if need be.

Matt Moore (Photo by Adam Glanzman/Getty Images)

BACKUP QUARTERBACK OPTIONS FOR 2018: NUMBER 3 – MATT MOORE

This is another unexciting name, but backup quarterbacks aren’t supposed to be exciting names. Matt Moore is the definition of a “quality” backup, serving as the Dolphins backup signal caller for the last six years.
Moore will be 35 years old by the time the 2018 season begins, but he has stepped in over the past two seasons and helped the Dolphins when called upon. In 2016, he filled in for Ryan Tannehill and threw for 721 yards with eight touchdowns and three picks during his four games (three starts) in the regular season.
Matt Moore is the definition of a “quality” backup.

Moore had 861 yards this past year with more interceptions (five) than touchdowns (four) during his two starts (four games total). While the Dolphins quarterback situation is a bit unknown at the moment, it wouldn’t be shocking if they decided to draft someone and stick with Ryan Tannehill for the next season or two. Moore would be expendable in that situation.

Again, signing Matt Moore wouldn’t be a move that would excite Chiefs fans, but the point of a backup quarterback is being able to take the field and help the team as much as possible should something happen to the starter. Moore would be a serviceable starter for a few games and that’s what backups are meant for.

Ryan Fitzpatrick (Photo by Mark Brown/Getty Images)

BACKUP QUARTERBACK OPTIONS FOR 2018: NUMBER 2 – RYAN FITZPATRICK

Ahhhh, the greatest journeyman in the NFL, Ryan Fitzpatrick! Here’s a guy who has played for seven teams during his 13-year career and could quite possibly add an eighth team in 2018.
It seems like no matter where Fitzpatrick signs on to be a backup at, he somehow ALWAYS ends up starting at least a game. Last year he backed up Jameis Winston in Tampa Bay and started three games, appearing in six.
It’s become glaringly obvious the last few years that Fitzpatrick is more suited for a backup role.

As a Buccaneer, Fitzpatrick threw for 1,103 yards, seven touchdowns, and three interceptions. NFL viewers fall for the “Fitzpatrick jig” almost every year, where it looks like he could be a legitimate starter, but then he looks downright awful the very next week.
It’s become glaringly obvious the last few years that Fitzpatrick is more suited for a backup role and he’d be a nice option to have for a team like the Chiefs. Patrick Mahomes is the unquestioned starter, but if Mahomes couldn’t play for a few weeks, Fitzpatrick could probably go out there and throw for 200+ yards, a few touchdowns, and maybe get picked off once or twice.
As long as Fitzpatrick coming to town doesn’t stir up controversy about him being good enough to start, I’d be onboard with signing the Harvard grad.

Chase Daniel (Photo by Jason Miller/Getty Images)

BACKUP QUARTERBACK OPTIONS FOR 2018: NUMBER 1 – CHASE DANIEL

Last, but not least, we have Chase Daniel, who has played for the KC Chiefs in the past (2013-2015) and started two games. During those two starts, Daniel looked good and had a 1-1 record (should have been 2-0), proving he could step in and lead the offense if called upon.
.theiaPostSlider_nav._lower {display: none !important} Related Story: Chiefs should target Chase Daniel as backup quarterback
Daniel spent last season with the Saints (a team he also had been with earlier in his career) and only appeared in one game. He has zero passing stats from that appearance, but what else should you expect when he’s backing up Drew Brees?
By this point, Daniel knows he’s probably nothing more than a backup, so hopefully he’d consider returning to Kansas City. He attended school just two hours away at the University of Missouri and has a lot of ties to the state.
Daniel knows he’s probably nothing more than a backup, so hopefully he’d consider returning to Kansas City.

I don’t see Daniel re-signing with the Saints mainly because they’ll likely draft a quarterback to take over for Brees when the time comes for him to retire. With a young drafted quarterback on the roster, Daniel will probably seek another option. He’d be the immediate backup signal caller in Kansas City, so it’d make a lot of sense for him to come back.
When looking at the crop of quarterbacks on the free agent market this offseason, Chase Daniel is the one I want to backup Patrick Mahomes the most.

Kansas City Chiefs (Photo By Raymond Boyd/Getty Images)

Backup quarterbacks are going to be popular on the free agent market this year, as we saw just how important having a steady one can be in this year’s Super Bowl.

If the Kansas City Chiefs could have their pick of anyone, I’d want it to be Chase Daniel sitting behind Mahomes on the depth chart. Daniel played for the Chiefs for three seasons and knows the system. He’d be a great option to come back and sit behind Mahomes in case something were to happen.
More from Chiefs Free Agency

Other options could be older free agents like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Moore, or even Derek Anderson (who I didn’t list on here). These three are career backups, like Daniel, but have starting experience on their resumés. Fans would feel okay about them having to start a few games if needed.
Another option would be drafting the backup quarterback, but with so many other needs on the team (mainly on the defensive side), I’d rather this not be the solution. If the Chiefs do add a quarterback through the draft, hopefully that guy goes on to be a third stringer and not the backup.

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-07, 08:25 PM   #3
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

Clark Hunt was never willing to trade Alex Smith to the Denver Broncos
bonecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-08, 11:13 AM   #4
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 947
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Please don't grab Chase Daniels again!
Unread 2018-02-08, 04:03 PM   #5
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidStylez View Post
Please don't grab Chase Daniels again!
agreed, get someone else.
Unread 2018-02-08, 05:32 PM   #6
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

Chiefs cut Darrelle Revis per the NFL’s transaction wire
Unread 2018-02-12, 10:09 AM   #7
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Remember Spencer Ware is coming back to the Chiefs running backs room

Let’s start looking at the Kansas City Chiefs needs heading into the offseason. Up today, the running backs ...

Remember Spencer Ware is coming back to the Chiefs running backs room

Offseason needs: None

The Chiefs could go out today with a lineup of Kareem Hunt, Spencer Ware, Charcandrick West and Anthony Sherman with Akeem Hunt returning kicks and be as good as anyone in the NFL. That said, any of the last three (West, Sherman, A. Hunt) could be candidates to be cut. So, in a sense, the Chiefs could ‘create their own need’ this offseason, but they don’t have to.
Related
Chiefs offseason needs: At quarterback, it’s the backup

Returning: Kareem Hunt and Charcandrick West

The true offensive ROTY, and NFL rushing leader, was arguably the team’s MVP last season. When the offense flowed through him, and he was able to break off big plays, the Chiefs didn’t lose. Hunt showed a rare ability in the passing game and impossible-to-tackle style of play that should make him the focal point of the 2018 offense.
Charcandrick West settled into a third down back role, primarily because of his ability to pass protect. He did see some spot duty and glimpses of production, but he’ll likely be buried on the depth chart if he returns in 2018. The Chiefs could save about $1.7M against the cap by releasing or trading him this offseason if they choose to move on.
Additions: Spencer Ware

This is something we aren’t talking enough about. Without making any other moves, the Chiefs are adding an experienced running back that can catch the ball and absolutely run over people. In 2016 as the Chiefs featured back, Ware racked up 1368 total yards and five TDs. Early in the season, he was the guy who sparked the entire offense when he would break off a long run. His style and Kareem Hunt’s have some similarities, so if both are involved in 2018, they could keep each other fresh and keep the offense rolling. The combination of “thunder and thunder” could keep the pressure off of Mahomes and give the balanced approach this team needs to be dominant.

In case you forgot, here is Ware’s highlight reel from 2016.
Subtractions: Anthony Sherman

“The Sausage” is a free agent, and he carried a cap number of $2.3M this past season. That’s quite a bit for a guy that played only 17.5 percent of the offensive snaps. He has been a mainstay on this team, and a stud on special teams, but the Chiefs will have a decision to make on whether or not to sign him to another substantial contract, or go with a cheap rookie.
Unknown: Akeem Hunt

The “other Hunt” is under contract for 2018, but it’s unclear if he’ll have a role on the team. He didn’t distinguish himself on offense or special teams in 2017. If the rest of the depth chart stays the same, Akeem would have little opportunity to contribute as a running back. So, his chances of staying on the roster depend on how the Chiefs see him as a kick returner.
Compared to 2017

Kareem Hunt made this position group a strength in 2017. The return of Spencer Ware might just put them over the top. Whether West, Sherman and Hunt return, or if they are replaced with comparable players, the Chiefs running backs have an opportunity to be a strength of the team and the best backfield in the NFL.

Unread 2018-02-13, 03:45 PM   #8
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 161
Likes (Received): 360
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

See ya DJ...damn. Hopefully he just retires, or says sign me for league minimum, dude deserves to be only a Chief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar
New aids is still aids.
Mobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-13, 04:56 PM   #9
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Derrick Johnson won’t be back with Chiefs, will become free agent

The speculation is over.

The Kansas City Chiefs officially announced that longtime linebacker Derrick Johnson is set to become a free agent when the league year ends on March 14 and his contract voids.

Johnson, who was drafted by the Chiefs in 2005, played 13 years, all in Kansas City.

“I’ve been blessed to be a part of the Kansas City Chiefs organization my entire career,” Johnson said in a statement released by the Chiefs. “I’d like to thank the Hunt family, my coaches, teammates and the staff for the tremendous amount of support I received over the years. I love Kansas City and this fan base, they’ve always had my back. I’m grateful I had the opportunity to spend 13 years in a place I love.”

The hardest part of the announcement for Chiefs fans will be the fact that Johnson said he intends to continue playing.

“I plan on playing for several more years because I love this game so much,” he added, “but I look forward to retiring as a member of the Kansas City Chiefs when my career is over. I’ll miss my Chiefs teammates – we made a lot of big plays together over the years – and I wish them the best in bringing a championship home to the best and loudest fans in the NFL.”

Johnson leaves the Chiefs as their all-time leader in tackles with 1,262 (993 solo). He played in 182 games (169 starts) with the club, totaling 27.5 sacks, 40 quarterback pressures, 14 interceptions – returning four of those INTs for touchdowns – 23 forced fumbles and eight fumble recoveries.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid worked with Johnson his last five seasons in Kansas City.

“I’m grateful I had the opportunity to coach a player like Derrick,” Reid said. “He’s a passionate football player and a natural leader. I value the amount of quality work he put in every day for us, including teaching our younger players what it means to be a pro. I think he will make an incredible coach when he is done playing the game, if he chooses.”

Johnson was named the club’s Mack Lee Hill Award winner following his rookie season, an award given to the team’s top rookie or first-year player. Johnson also received the Derrick Thomas Award, given to the team’s MVP, in 2011.

“Few players in recent history have meant more to the Chiefs franchise and the Kansas City community than Derrick Johnson,” Chiefs chairman and CEO Clark Hunt said. “His tireless work ethic and passion for the game made him one of the most productive defensive players to ever wear a Chiefs uniform and one of the most respected players both in our locker room and around the league. Over the last 13 seasons, Derrick represented himself and the Chiefs organization with integrity and class, and he will always be a part of our Chiefs family.”

The end of an era in Kansas City

Unread 2018-02-16, 08:33 PM   #10
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

BREAKING: #Chiefs agree to one-year deal with David Amerson worth up to $6M, per @RapSheet. @TerezPaylor has the base salary at $2.25M
Unread 2018-02-23, 01:34 PM   #11
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Report: Chiefs to trade CB Marcus Peters to Rams

Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters (22) signals to the bench that a penalty is against the Tennessee Titans during the first half of an NFL wild-card playoff game in Kansas City, Mo., Saturday, Jan. 6, 2018. (AP Photo/Reed Hoffmann)

KANSAS CITY, KS (KCTV) - The Chiefs are expected to trade cornerback Marcus Peters to the Los Angeles Rams, according to ESPN.
Adam Schefter, NFL Insider for ESPN, reports teams are in final stages of talks and barring an unexpected snag, the trade is expected to be agreed to as early as Friday.
The Chiefs drafted the 25-year-old with the 18th overall pick in the 2015 National Football League Draft.
Since joining the league, Peters leads all players in interceptions with 19.
In his three seasons with Kansas City, the Oakland, CA, native has, along with his 19 picks, five forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries, 130 tackles and three touchdowns.
Peters was named the AFC Rookie of the Year in 2015 after starting all 16 regular-season games, recording eight interceptions, which led the NFL, defending 26 passes, forcing one fumble and making 53 tackles.
The move adds to the Chiefs already busy offseason, which includes a reported trade of quarterback Alex Smith to the Washington Redskins and the option to not resign the team's all-time leading tackler Derrick Johnson.

Unread 2018-02-23, 01:42 PM   #12
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Sooooo nervous on teh Peters trade. Better get some real value.
Unread 2018-02-24, 11:40 PM   #13
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

There must be some major concerns with him. Ballard the GM of the Colts (and former Chiefs higher up) and Dorsey, GM of the Browns didn't want him. The majority of teams did not want to trade for him.

Either someone is getting a contract extension, offset language, or another player is being included.
Unread 2018-02-27, 09:16 AM   #14
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 704
Likes (Received): 455
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

Parker looks to be gone too
Bailey word is he is out the door as well
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-27, 10:59 AM   #15
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyrx8 View Post
Parker looks to be gone too
Bailey word is he is out the door as well
Peters trade seems awful.

But the Parker release, leads me to believe Sutton just wants to gut the whole Defense... I mean we were KILLER two seasons ago, mediocre a season back, and this season AWFUL... so gut the D, and hope you can build it for the future?

Bailey is not a huge loss, but he rarely messes up... just doesn't play a ton of snaps.

I'm trusting Reid/Veach know what they are doing... but fuck this Peters trade has me bummed.
Unread 2018-02-27, 11:12 AM   #16
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 163
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 410
Likes (Received): 637
Dislikes (Received): 36

I just can't believe that he wasn't worth keeping for that price... against AFC West opponents, the QB rating against him was 0.0 (aka almost 40 pts worse that simply spiking the ball instead of actually attempting the throw). that's insane.

he wasn't perfect and could be disruptive to a very buttoned-up franchise but his play cannot be questioned.
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-27, 11:16 AM   #17
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
I just can't believe that he wasn't worth keeping for that price... against AFC West opponents, the QB rating against him was 0.0 (aka almost 40 pts worse that simply spiking the ball instead of actually attempting the throw). that's insane.

he wasn't perfect and could be disruptive to a very buttoned-up franchise but his play cannot be questioned.
He arguably isn't the best CB in the game... but he's unarguably top 3.

There is very little potential the draft picks we got, can match what we lost talent wise.

So you just have to assume that he's more toxic than we know. I can't recall another player leaving a game during the game, without injury, but because they were upset. So I get he fucked up bad... I get the fist raised/protest issue... and I get that he might be too vocal or something in the locker room...

But fuck me, he and Eric Berry give us a top 10 secondary... only consolation, is with Berry out last year and a TERRIBLE secondary... we still made the playoffs.
Unread 2018-02-27, 11:31 AM   #18
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 704
Likes (Received): 455
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricerking13 View Post
He arguably isn't the best CB in the game... but he's unarguably top 3.

There is very little potential the draft picks we got, can match what we lost talent wise.

So you just have to assume that he's more toxic than we know. I can't recall another player leaving a game during the game, without injury, but because they were upset. So I get he fucked up bad... I get the fist raised/protest issue... and I get that he might be too vocal or something in the locker room...

But fuck me, he and Eric Berry give us a top 10 secondary... only consolation, is with Berry out last year and a TERRIBLE secondary... we still made the playoffs.
After listening to Bill Maas on the radio sounds like there was a lot that wasnt presented to the public and media that really described him as locker room cancer. I take that with a grain of salt because its just word of mouth but im sure Bill has some kind of insight on whats going on in the lockerroom.

idk this offseason is really bumming me out, idk what next season holds for us, hopefully a winning one.
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-28, 08:47 PM   #19
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

The chiefs couldn't/wouldn't pay him like a top 10 CB.

He was really good... but was not top 5. He had flashy numbers but also was burned and penalized as well.

I think the Chiefs SHOULD have gotten more... but with 28 of 31 teams not even interested in Peters, it shows you he wasn't highly valued.
Unread 2018-03-12, 12:45 PM   #20
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

Source: the Chiefs have agreed to a new deal with FB Anthony Sherman, as was reported by the Big J journalists on @PardonMyTake.
Unread 2018-03-12, 12:46 PM   #21
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The Chiefs’ purge of veterans continues with release of Tamba Hali. Is he the last one?

Hali is one of the best pass rushers of all time. But at 34 years old, he is clearly out of his prime.

Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports Tamba Hali is one of the greatest players to ever suit up for the Kansas City Chiefs. Unfortunately for him, his time with the only NFL team he’s played for is over. The Chiefs released their longtime linebacker after 12 years with the franchise, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
Since the Chiefs are trying to clear some cap space, they are in the midst of a roster overhaul. They already released Darrelle Revis and safety Ron Parker and announced that linebacker Derrick Johnson will not return. On top of that, Kansas City traded quarterback Alex Smith to Washington. There's also a possibility that Justin Houston could get released, but that wouldn't make sense for Kansas City.
Others like Allen Bailey, Rob Parker, and Daniel Sorensen are players who could be playing in different uniforms in 2018.
Why did the Chiefs release Hali? Hali, 34, started the 2017 season on the Physically Unable to Perform list (PUP) due to an undisclosed injury, which caused him to miss training camp and the preseason. He started practicing in early November, and Kansas City elevated Hali to the active roster on Nov. 4 — a day before the Chiefs' Week 9 matchup against the Dallas Cowboys.
He only registered one tackle in five games. In the past two seasons, he’s had just 3.5 sacks. Hali was once one of the best defensive players in the NFL, but Father Time caught up to him.
The Chiefs are saving $7.7 million by cutting Hali, who carried a $9.4 million cap hit. This was a move the Chiefs had to make.
What's next for the Chiefs? Kansas City will likely acquire a young linebacker to fill Hali's spot.
The only option they have is to let one of their in-house options like Frank Zombo and Dee Ford compete for the job. Zombo, 30, racked up 43 tackles and 1.5 sacks in 2017. Ford, a first-round pick in 2014, battled a back injury last season — which led to him missing 10 games and landing on injured reserve.
What's next for Hali? Hali, a five-time Pro Bowler, still has some gas left in his tank, and he could return to form in 2018. He's a pure pass rusher with 89.5 sacks and 33 forced fumbles in his career.
At this point in his career, he probably wants to sign with a Super Bowl contender. He may not receive a lucrative contract, but a team could throw him a one-year "prove it" deal or a two-year contact. Either way, Hali won't be on the open market for long if he wants to keep playing.
There's also the possibility of retirement. Hali told Terez A. Paylor of the Kansas City Star that he doesn't want to talk about retiring, but he doesn't want to avoid the question.
“I don’t want to say I’m not gonna play, because the way I feel two weeks out of football, I’ll probably be ready to play," Hali said. On the other hand, he said he's "leaning more towards (being with) my family."
Hali has options. But if he wants to call it quits and hang up his cleats, he should be proud of his fantastic career.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes markbrok liked this post
Unread 2018-03-12, 01:40 PM   #22
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Parker cut

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes markbrok liked this post
Unread 2018-03-12, 02:47 PM   #23
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Ron Parker cut
Knew this was coming...

Anybody got input? Here's how I've seen it so far.

https://imgur.com/MGwe9eq
Ricerking13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-03-13, 07:39 AM   #24
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

The #Chiefs are now adding a big weapon on defense: They plan to sign former #Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchens to a deal worth $9M per year, sources tell me and @TomPelissero.
Unread 2018-03-13, 07:40 AM   #25
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

The #Chiefs locked in on WR Sammy Watkins late last night and the deal is expected to be worth roughly $16M per year over 3 years, sources say.