Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Sports and Recreation

Closed Thread
Unread 2019-03-08, 11:01 PM   #276
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 89
Likes (Received): 354
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 20

There’s a good chance the Chiefs will be signing RB Carlos Hyde when he visits tomorrow, per a source. Pending a physical.
Unread 2019-03-09, 04:27 PM   #277
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Carlos Hyde was signed

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
Unread 2019-03-10, 04:07 PM   #278
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Chiefs release veteran linebacker Justin Houston, free up $14 million in cap space

The Chiefs are moving on from veteran linebacker Justin Houston.

Houston, who was drafted by the organization in 2011, has been released, a source told The Star on Sunday.
By parting ways with Houston, the Chiefs will save $14 million in cap space, while still carrying $7.1 million in dead money.

Houston’s future with the team has been in doubt since general manager Brett Veach said the team was engaging in trade talks with teams about the 30-year-old edge rusher at the NFL Combine.

“Justin Houston is a great player,” Veach said in Indianapolis. “Our deal is to obviously acquire and maintain as many great players as you can. I think this time of year I’m no different than any other GM standing on the podium. There’s 32 teams here, and every coach is here, every personnel member is here and we’re staying in the same hotel, so there’s a lot of dialogue.

“I think right now we’re just in the process of collecting information and working with what we have, and then leave here and get together again and discuss and see what we can do to make our team better.”

Ultimately, the Chiefs decided the best way to make the team better was by parting ways with Houston.

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nf...#storylink=cpy

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nf...orylink=cpyThe Chiefs are moving on from veteran linebacker Justin Houston.
Houston, who was drafted by the organization in 2011, has been released, a source told The Star on Sunday.
By parting ways with Houston, the Chiefs will save $14 million in cap space, while still carrying $7.1 million in dead money.
Houston’s future with the team has been in doubt since general manager Brett Veach said the team was engaging in trade talks with teams about the 30-year-old edge rusher at the NFL Combine.
“Justin Houston is a great player,” Veach said in Indianapolis. “Our deal is to obviously acquire and maintain as many great players as you can. I think this time of year I’m no different than any other GM standing on the podium. There’s 32 teams here, and every coach is here, every personnel member is here and we’re staying in the same hotel, so there’s a lot of dialogue.

“I think right now we’re just in the process of collecting information and working with what we have, and then leave here and get together again and discuss and see what we can do to make our team better.”
Ultimately, the Chiefs decided the best way to make the team better was by parting ways with Houston.

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nf...orylink=cpyThe Chiefs are moving on from veteran linebacker Justin Houston.

Unread 2019-03-11, 09:31 PM   #279
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Reports: Chiefs signing safety Tyrann Mathieu to a three-year deal

The Chiefs get the safety help they need in the form of one of the free agency market’s marquee names.

The Kansas City Chiefs are signing former Houston Texans safety Tyrann Mathieu to a three-year deal worth $42 million. That equates to $14 million per year, the same amount of money the Chiefs freed up by releasing linebacker Justin Houston on Sunday.

Friend of the site Terez Paylor speculated about the news a few moments before Schefter’s report.
From another friend of the site, Joel Thorman: “If you’ve read AP in the last 10 years, you know I love me a big free agent signing. This one I love, too. The move comes at a big area of need for the Chiefs, which is the pass defense. That was viewed as the one area that stopped the Chiefs from going to the Super Bowl last year, so credit Brett Veach for hitting on the needs.
“I also love this move because — not to sound like a “football guy” here — the Honey Badger strikes me as someone who loves football. That passion reminds me of Eric Berry. Matthieu is going to be a really easy dude to root for.
“Speaking of, uh, about Eric Berry? My guess is this doesn’t affect Berry in 2019 but, yeah, everyone is wondering about KC’s emotional leader. The money says Berry is probably going to be a Chief next season but three games in the last two years makes you wonder. The money is high but it’s not my money so count me as a fan of this move from the Chiefs.”
Yet one more friend of the site, Kent Babb of the Washington Post and formerly of the KC Star, wrote the piece on the Honey Badger you need to read.

Unread 2019-03-12, 05:53 PM   #280
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

The #Chiefs have agreed to terms with LB Damien Wilson, formerly of the #Cowboys, source said.
Unread 2019-03-12, 08:27 PM   #281
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 163
Likes (Received): 361
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

Bye Dee Ford.....5 year 87.5 to San Fran and we get a 2nd round in 2020....
Unread 2019-03-12, 09:19 PM   #282
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobbes View Post
Bye Dee Ford.....5 year 87.5 to San Fran and we get a 2nd round in 2020....
terrible return... not even a pick in this draft.
Unread 2019-03-13, 08:44 AM   #283
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

Chiefs have tendered three exclusive rights free agents, per source: K Harrison Butker, WR Marcus Kemp and DT Justin Hamilton. Told a longer term extension with Butker remains a possibility.
Unread 2019-03-13, 08:47 AM   #284
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 267
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 1987
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

I'm having a hard time seeing what the Chiefs vision is this season, based on the moves.

Unread 2019-03-13, 10:36 AM   #285
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 488
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 4136
Dislikes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
I'm having a hard time seeing what the Chiefs vision is this season, based on the moves.

Might be time to become a Browns fan.
Unread 2019-03-13, 03:28 PM   #286
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

The Chiefs have released Berry with a post-June 1 designation, a source tells me. Means the Chiefs will save around $9.5m on the cap this year and $5.5m next year.
Unread 2019-03-13, 04:09 PM   #287
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

#Chiefs RFA S Jordan Lucas was tendered at 6th round level.
Unread 2019-03-13, 08:19 PM   #288
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 163
Likes (Received): 361
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecrusher View Post
terrible return... not even a pick in this draft.

Not a bad return at all. the Comp pick wouldn't have happened until after the 3rd round in 2021...I'd rather get a better pick now that we 100% will trade away in April.
Unread 2019-03-13, 08:49 PM   #289
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
Chiefs have to get younger and faster and cheaper on defense.

Ford had one stellar year and 4 subpar years.
Houston had a bloated contract and he wasn't performing to any level for $$
Berry has missed almost all the games in last 2 years with injuries and high $.

New defense they will use requires faster athletes and better LB play and coverage.

All the sacks in the world didn't mean anything against Patriots.
Unread 2019-03-13, 10:19 PM   #290
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

Chiefs did not tender RFA LB Terrance Smith and ERFA TE Alex Ellis.
Unread 2019-03-14, 12:07 AM   #291
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Kansas City Chiefs hosting Ronald Darby on visit, per report

The Kansas City Chiefs are hosting free agent cornerback Ronald Darby on a visit Wednesday evening and could get him under contract before the night is done, according to a report from Ian Rapoport of NFL Media.

Darby, who became an unrestricted free agent at the start of the 2019 league year at 4 p.m. ET Wednesday afternoon, is among the best unsigned players at his position. He's is in the process of recovering from a season-ending torn ACL that occurred in a game against the Dallas Cowboys on November 11, but he's still generating a good amount of attention from the Chiefs, according to Rapoport.
"If all goes well, (Darby) could sign considering the serious interest," Rapoport tweeted.

Darby, 25, joined the NFL in 2015 as a second-round draft pick of the Buffalo Bills out of Florida State. After a standout rookie season that saw him total 68 tackles, 21 passes defensed and two interceptions in 15 starts and a sophomore season where he totaled 69 tackles and 12 passes defensed in 14 starts, Darby was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles in August of 2017 in exchange for wide receiver Jordan Matthews and a third-round draft pick.

The past two seasons for Darby in Philadelphia have been plagued with injuries, first a dislocated ankle that limited him to eight games in 2017 followed by the torn ACL that ended his season after nine games in 2018. When healthy he's been one of Philadelphia's best defensive backs, and both he and the Eagles have expressed an interest in continuing their relationship in the future.

"I love it here. It’s one of the best sports cities, I feel like, in the whole United States," Darby said on a recent edition of NFL Network Insider's Ian Rapoport's "Rap Sheet + Friends" podcast. "I love it here a lot. I won a Super Bowl here. That’s something that’s never been done. Last year we made it to the playoffs, I was hurt by that time, but we made it back to the playoffs, made another strong push. There’s a lot of talent on this team. So, you know, it’d be a blessing to be able to stay here. But, at the end of the day, you gotta do what’s right. I want to be with a team that wants to win, of course. Everything has got to be right financially at the end of the day."

The Chiefs are in the process of overhauling their defense under new coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who took over following the team's decision to fire previous coordinator Bob Sutton after the 2018 season. Multiple key players have already parted ways with the team in pass rushers Dee Ford (traded to San Francisco) and Justin Houston (released), cornerback Steven Nelson (signed with Pittsburgh), and safety Eric Berry (released), while additions have been made with the reported signing of safety Tyrann Mathieu and linebacker Damien Wilson. Darby, if signed, would likely step into a starting spot at cornerback for the Chiefs whenever he becomes healthy.

Unread 2019-03-14, 12:10 AM   #292
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Chiefs tender Harrison Butker, Justin Hamilton, Marcus Kemp

The Kansas City Chiefs according to a report from Matt Derrick of Chiefs Digest have extended tender offers to kicker Harrison Butker, defensive tackle Justin Hamilton, and wide receiver Marcus Kemp, all of whom are exclusive rights free agents heading into the 2019 league year.
The exclusive rights designation is one given to players who have two or fewer years of accrued experience at the NFL level. By rule, these players are not allowed to negotiate with other teams once given a tender by their current club, which means they must either sign their tender or sit out the upcoming season. The tender offers are for one year at a minimum salary.
In other words, the Chiefs' decision to extend tenders to Butker, Hamilton and Kemp basically ensures each one of them will be under contract for 2019. Derrick also reports Butker is a candidate for a long-term extension. Here's a look at each player and where they figure in next season.
* Harrison Butker: Butker, 23, has been one of the most effective additions for the Chiefs under the tenure of general manager Brett Veach. A seventh-round pick of the Carolina Panthers in 2017 out of Georgia Tech, Butker was plucked off the Panthers' practice squad early in his rookie season to replace injured veteran kicker Cairo Santos. Since then, Butker has been one of the league's standout kickers, connecting on 62-of-69 field goal attempts with a long of 54 yards and 93-of-97 extra points. Butker was also perfect during the 2018 postseason, connecting on two-of-two field goals and eight-of-eight extra points.
It would come as no surprise if the Chiefs did extend Butker in the near future, as Derrick reports. The Chiefs have understandably been happy with Butker's performance and likely view him as someone who can hold down the kicking duties for years to come.
* Justin Hamilton: Hamilton, 25, has been around the block in the NFL since joining the league as an undrafted signing of the Buffalo Bills in 2015. Hamilton, who played his college ball at Louisiana Tech, had stints with the Packers, Seahawks and Eagles in addition to the Bills before landing in Kansas City in 2017. He's appeared in eight NFL games (five with Kansas City and three with Philadelphia) and has three tackles and 0.5 sacks. Hamilton will compete throughout the offseason and preseason for a spot as a backup at defensive tackle in 2019.
* Marcus Kemp: Kemp, 23, has been with the Chiefs the past two years after joining the team in 2017 as an undrafted rookie out of Hawaii. Kemp spent most of the 2017 season on the practice squad but played in 16 games last year in a reserve and special teams role (he turned in one of the most impressive Chiefs special teams plays of the year when he saved this punt from reaching the end zone). Kemp has one catch for seven yards and will be in the mix to compete for a roster spot at wide receiver again in 2019.

Unread 2019-03-14, 04:35 PM   #293
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

The Chiefs have signed DE Alex Okafor to a three-year deal worth $18 million, a source tells me. Deal can reach $24 million with incentives.
Unread 2019-03-14, 05:27 PM   #294
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Chiefs Sign LB Damien Wilson

The Kansas City Chiefs announced on Thursday that the club has signed free agent linebacker Damien Wilson.

“We see a lot of potential in Damien,” Chiefs General Manager Brett Veach said. “He was a really good player in Dallas, and as we go through this transition with our defense we were in the market for a young, SAM linebacker. We feel really good about Damien and are excited to have him here in Kansas City.”

Roger Steinman/Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Wilson (6-0, 245) has played in 64 games (22 starts) in four NFL seasons with the Dallas Cowboys (2015-1. His career numbers include 98 tackles (69 solo), 2.5 sacks (-18.0 yards), eight tackles for loss and one forced fumble.

The Gloster, Mississippi, native, originally entered the NFL as a fourth-round selection (127th overall) of the Dallas Cowboys in the 2015 NFL Draft. He played collegiately at the University of Minnesota.

Unread 2019-03-14, 05:29 PM   #295
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The Chiefs have finally found their “catalyst” in Tyrann Mathieu

Mathieu’s introductory press conference revealed just how important he’ll be to this Chiefs defense.

Shanna Lockwood-USA TODAY Sports The Kansas City Chiefs held their introductory press conference for new safety Tyrann Mathieu on Thursday, and we received a better glimpse into how the Chiefs see him fitting into their 2019 roster and beyond.
Chiefs general manager Brett Veach spoke about Mathieu’s versatility that shows up on tape in his introduction of the player:
VEACH: “One of the things that was really interesting when we started this free agency process with coach (Steve) Spagnuolo was him coming down to the office after we gave him a list of safeties to watch — he would go down the list and say strengths and weaknesses. ‘I like this guy and this and that, here’s what he can do, here’s what he can’t do. When he got to Ty he said, ‘I’m struggling to see what he can’t do.’ I said, ‘Coach, say no more; we’re going to get him.’”
Coach Andy Reid described it in even further detail:
REID: “He can play anywhere...he can play corner if you need him to play corner. He’s played inside in the nickel, he’s played up on the ball, he’s played back on the ball. He’s a phenomenal blitzer. He’s sitting next to me — he’s not the biggest guy in the world, but he plays that way, he plays such a physical game and he’s so good toward the line of scrimmage. On the same hand, he’s great on the back end making plays on the ball on the back end. Tremendous amount of flexibility, and I know Spags will use all of it.
Mathieu also spoke to the things he does well when he’s on the field:
MATHIEU: “Playing in this scheme will really allow me to really do what I do best — which is to be a hunter. So I’m excited about that...I love doing it all. I’m a football player. My coach gives me a job, I just try my best to do it. I think any time I can get around the football — or close to it — I just feel like [I have] superpowers, y’know? And any time I’m away from the football, I just feel like my powers are diminishing.”
That quote sounds like a player that is going to do a little bit of everything, particularly in and around the box. Spagnuolo’s excitement for Mathieu relates to some of the things he said during the season last year while doing film breakdowns for NFL Films, as well as his comments during his own introductory press conference.
Spagnuolo has stated multiple times that this offseason away from the game helped him reevaluate himself as a coach and examine the game from afar. He even stated in one of his NFL Films breakdowns last year concerning coverage shells that, “If you’re static, you’re dead.”
Mathieu’s versatility and flexibility will help Spagnuolo implement various pattern-match coverage shells to stop the spread offense. His ability to line up everywhere and do everything will be key to disguising tendencies — something the New England Patriots were able to exploit against former defensive coordinator Bob Sutton. Mathieu is truly the key component of a versatile defensive scheme.
However — that’s not the only essential ingredient in this signing. Veach stated just how vital Mathieu will be not only on the field, but off it as well (emphasis mine):
VEACH: “You can acquire as many great players or talented players as you like, but until you have the catalyst to make it go, things will never work out the way you want them. This was the catalyst that we had to have.
I spoke to the importance of Mathieu as a leader in this locker room in my film breakdown. He walked into a Houston Texans room full of veteran talent and immediately commanded the room. The team fell in lock-step behind Mathieu and adopted his mentality and work ethic on and off the field.
This Chiefs defense has struggled to find an identity for several years now. They’ve lacked a true toughness and edge to them. The consistently good defenses throughout the league are ones that have put fear into offenses, and ones that didn’t roll over when problems arose. They were able to lean on toughness and work ethic to finish the job.
The Chiefs defense — particularly in the past two years — hasn’t been able to do that nearly enough. Now they find themselves without the leaders in the locker room that they’ve looked to during that timespan. Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Justin Houston and Eric Berry are gone — a true end of an era for the modern Chiefs defense.
But Brett Veach, Andy Reid and Steve Spagnuolo believe that this signing changes all of that. The player that was able to command a group of established veterans on day one of a new team is the catalyst for this defense. His versatility, work ethic, and mentality are the new cornerstones of this group — and Mathieu has embraced it already.
That’s part of the reason why I’m here, as well...it’ll be my job to come in here and try to give some direction, try to give guys some motivation and inspiration, and be an everyday factor. I want to be the same guy that I am in the weight room that I am on the football field. That’s what I’m really looking forward to bringing to this team.
This organization recognized the need for a change in mentality. They recognized that the old way of doing things wasn’t going to cut it, and even though those recent leaders were key components to success — and likely future members of the Chiefs Ring of Honor — they needed a new identity.

Unread 2019-03-14, 05:36 PM   #296
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Six Things We Learned From Chiefs’ GM Brett Veach on Thursday

Before the Kansas City Chiefs introduced new safety Tyrann Mathieu at One Arrowhead Drive on Thursday afternoon, General Manager Brett Veach spoke with members of the local media via conference call to discuss the Chiefs’ other moves this offseason.

Here are six things that stood out.

1. Veach began the teleconference with an opening statement discussing the Chiefs’ decision to release safety Eric Berry and linebacker Justin Houston this past week.

“I just want to start off by saying that this time of year is always a bittersweet way to start the season,” Veach said. “On one end, we’re certainly excited about the new players that we’re going to add during this free agency period and the draft is right around the corner. We’re excited to add some new, young players to this organization as well.

“But on the other end, change is inevitable, and it’s always hard to move on from players that have been here. It certainly makes it even more difficult when change involves long-standing members of the community and the locker room, and certainly I’m talking about Eric Berry and Justin Houston. What two guys better exemplify that? As everyone knows, those guys were outstanding players. All of the accomplishments on the field will never be forgotten, but one of the things that [Chiefs Chairman & CEO] Clark [Hunt], [Head Coach] Andy [Reid] and I will always talk about talk about, too, is just the impact that they’ve had in the community. They’ve done great things for the people here in Kansas City. It’s certainly very difficult, but again, change is a part of this process.”

Nine seasons. 440 tackles. 14 interceptions. Thank you, EB. pic.twitter.com/LHmlJbq1Pk
— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) March 13, 2019
Veach also took a moment to recognize the Chiefs’ unrestricted free agents that have signed contracts with other teams in the last 24 hours.

“I’d like to wish the best of luck to [cornerback] Steve Nelson, [center] Mitch Morse and [tight end] Demetrius Harris - all those guys,” Veach said. “I’m really proud of what they were able to do here and I’m really excited for them and their families. All of those guys were integral parts of our success.”

Lastly, Veach thanked linebacker Dee Ford for his contributions over his five seasons in Kansas City. Ford was traded to the San Francisco 49ers this week.

“We were able to reach a trade with San Francisco for a 2020 second-round selection, so I’m excited for Dee and his family,” Veach said. “[49ers General Manager] John Lynch got a great player, and I feel like after the trade went through, both teams were in a good position moving forward.”

2. Veach was then asked what role the salary cap played in the Chiefs’ recent moves.

“Looking at both now and into the future, we have a lot of great young talent,” Veach said. “We have guys like [quarterback] Patrick Mahomes, [defensive lineman] Chris Jones and [wide receiver] Tyreek Hill, and one of the things that we made a strong effort to do when I took over was to make sure that we had good, young talent in the pipeline but also that we’re cap flexible and have draft capital.

“The cap was certainly a big part of these decisions. Where we were, what was going to be utilized in regard to cap space and how we can maneuver ourselves to potentially do long-term extensions with other players [played a role]. I think the fact that we have a [first-round pick] and two [second-round picks] this year and then a [first-round pick] and two [second-round picks] next year puts us in a position to be aggressive from now until the start of the season,” Veach said. “So, I think you start with the cap and, again, they’re tough decisions, but I think it’s something that – looking toward not just next season, but the next two, three, four and five years – if you’re not proactive in your approach, then you’re always chasing your tail and you’re always in a position where you don’t have draft capital or cap space.”

3. Veach went on to explain the importance of that flexibility moving forward, as the process of building a championship-caliber roster never truly ends.

“I think one thing to remember too is everyone, and rightfully so because it is an exciting time here the first week of free agency and the new league year, but it’s a long way until the opening kickoff in September,” Veach said. “There certainly are a lot of headlines this week and we’re going to be able to add two guys here very soon, but it never ends.”

Veach was referring to Mathieu and linebacker Damien Wilson, who also signed on Thursday. He went on to explain how the team-building process continues long after the initial rush of free agency.

“There’s a window here coming up before the draft where things happen, then there’s the draft,” Veach explained. “There are moves made during the draft and then after the draft. I mean, Chicago signed Khalil Mack in late August. I just think that moving forward - when you talk about our options and what we can do - I think any time you have a [first-round pick] and two [second-round picks] this year and a [first-round pick] and two [second-round picks] next year - and cap space, you have the ability to position yourself in a way that will put you in a good position for the upcoming season.

“But then also, the [potential] extensions and to prolong contracts and to keep young guys that we drafted – to keep them here for a long time. I just think that now, having those picks and having this maneuverability, I think now we can certainly think outside the box and be aggressive.”

Veach later summed it all up in three simple words:

“We’re not done.”

4. The roster changes this week will likely mean a larger role for edge rusher Breeland Speaks moving forward. Veach talked about the second-year player on Thursday.

“Breeland was a guy that, coming here last year from Ole Miss, we lined up at the outside linebacker position and we thought, moving forward with Breeland, he could get us some reps there and transition into maybe a five-technique,” Veach explained. “Now, looking ahead in a 4-3 scheme, he’s probably a natural fit as a base end. We’re excited about him.”

Speaks recorded 24 tackles (15 solo), eight quarterback hits, 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble last season for Kansas City. He started four games at outside linebacker from Week 6 through Week 9 when Houston was out with an injury.

“Really, when he got in there in that four-game span when [Justin Houston] was out, he put out some good tape at a position that he probably wasn’t most comfortable with, but I think he still had some good logs, some good playtime and flashed a little,” Veach said. “He certainly didn’t look out of place. Now, having a full offseason in a scheme more conducive to his skillset, I think he should really be able to take the next step.

Matt Starkey

While on the topic of young players, Veach also touched on safeties Armani Watts and Jordan Lucas. Watts flashed in his five games with the Chiefs last year before suffering a season-ending core muscle injury while Lucas impressed in his 16 games of action.

“We are certainly excited about those players,” Veach said “Armani was a guy that came on toward the end of camp. He started to log more and more play time. He certainly had his best game [against] Jacksonville before getting hurt. And then Jordan Lucas was a guy that infused some excitement and some energy in the middle of the season. We certainly like his skillset.”

5. Speaking of the defense, Veach talked about the depth available on defense – and specifically along the defensive front - this year in the draft.

“One thing - and it’s kind of been noted out there the last few weeks and especially at the Combine – is that this is a good defensive draft class,” Veach said. “There’s defensive line depth there. It’s been talked about and it’s real. There’s a lot of intriguing players up there. When you win games, you have to pick at the end of every round, so to do things, you need picks. That’s one end, and there’s also the [players] you draft with other team’s picks [that you’ve acquired].”

6. Finally, Veach was asked if the Chiefs’ roster moves and the hiring of new Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnuolo will bring about a culture change on that side of the ball.

“I’ll say this, there will be a change, but this is a new defensive staff and some guys are younger guys, some guys that are coming back are older, but when the players report officially, everyone is on the same page. This is a brand-new playbook. This is a brand-new scheme,” Veach said. “It’s not like whoever we add in free agency or the Draft is coming into a scheme and coming into a locker room where players have been running something for years and years and years and they are trying to fit in and do different things. I know Steve [Spagnuolo] is excited to get all the players here and introducing them to the playbook and starting from page one.

“The one unique aspect is when you add a rookie this year, or even a guy like Tyrann Mathieu, they are all starting on the same chapter to begin this process with this staff. They are excited about that. I think Ty [Mathieu] is going to be a game changer, too, in regard to him as a person…he is an instant energy and juice guy.”

Stay tuned as the Chiefs continue to build the roster this offseason with championship goals.

Unread 2019-03-14, 05:41 PM   #297
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Five Things to Know About New Chiefs’ Safety Tyrann Mathieu

The Kansas City Chiefs kicked off the new league year with a splash, signing free agent safety Tyrann Mathieu on Thursday.

Here are five things to know about Mathieu.

1. He played for the Houston Texans last season

Mathieu is coming off a strong 2018 campaign in which he tallied a career-high 89 tackles, eight passes defensed, five tackles-for-loss, 3.0 sacks and two interceptions. He compiled a 75.1 overall grade on the year according to the experts at Pro Football Focus - which was the third-best mark of his six-year career – and recorded 30 defensive stops.

He was particularly effective against the run last season, notching the fifth-best run-defense grade (84.6) among all safeties.

Matt Patterson/Matt Patterson

2. Before joining the Texans, Mathieu spent five years with the Arizona Cardinals

A third-round pick in the 2013 Draft, Mathieu quickly developed into one of the NFL’s best defensive backs. In fact, his game-changing ability – not to mention his hustle – was on full display just 13 minutes into his professional career.

In his first-ever regular-season game, St. Louis Rams’ tight end Jared Cook thought he had an easy touchdown over the middle…until he didn’t.

Mathieu went on to earn a First-Team All-Pro nod as a slot cornerback by PFF that season despite missing the Cardinals’ final three games with a knee injury.

He followed his rookie campaign with a solid sophomore season in 2014, but it was Mathieu’s third season that established his arrival as one of the league’s top players. He recorded 89 tackles, 17 passes defensed, 11 tackles-for-loss, five interceptions and a sack on the year, earning a trip to the Pro Bowl and a spot on the AP All-Pro First Team at safety.

Mathieu was ranked as the 26th best player in the league following the year by NFL Network and the No. 10 player overall by PFF, who also ranked him as the top cornerback in the NFL.

Rick Scuteri

He battled injuries the ensuing year but rebounded with a strong season in 2017, starting all of Arizona’s games while deflecting seven passes and hauling in a pair of interceptions.

In total, Mathieu finished his career in the desert with 303 tackles, 41 passes defensed, 28 tackles-for-loss, 11 interceptions, four forced fumbles and 4.0 sacks.

3. He was a star in college for the LSU Tigers

Mathieu took the country by storm as a sophomore at LSU back in 2011, demonstrating his game-changing ability on both defense and special teams while earning his nickname: “the honey badger.”

He recorded 76 tackles, nine passes defensed, six forced fumbles and two interceptions to go along with two punt-return touchdowns that year, earning MVP honors in the SEC Championship Game, the Chuck Bednarik Award as the nation’s top defensive player and a trip to the Heisman Trophy presentation, where he finished fifth.

Gerald Herbert/AP2011

4. Mathieu is a playmaker who can do a little bit of everything

While his stats are impressive enough, Mathieu’s real value is in his ability to play all over the place at an elite level. This breakdown of his snap counts in 2018 really says it all:

Tyrann Mathieu snaps in 2018
Free safety (440)
CB slot left (199)
Left OLB (123)
CB slot right (112)
Right OLB (39)
Right ILB (31)
Left ILB (27)
CB wide left (19)
Left DT (3)
Middle LB (2)
CB wide right (1)
Right DT (1)

He's a swiss army knife.
— Paul Hembekides (@PaulHembo) March 12, 2019
And that’s nothing new. Mathieu has been the definition of versatile throughout his career.

In 2015, he played 540 slot corner snaps, 180 box safety snaps, and 76 free safety snaps.

In 2013, he played 508 slot corner snaps, 105 box safety snaps, and 117 free safety snaps.

In 2018, he played 352 slot corner snaps, 419 box safety snaps, and 301 free safety snaps.
— PFF KC Chiefs (@PFF_Chiefs) March 11, 2019
Simply put, the guy can do it all on the football field. Here’s a bit more from the folks at PFF:

Mathieu played at least 300 snaps each in the box (419), as a slot corner (352), and at free safety (301), and as his overall grade would suggest, he played well enough in all those roles to finish the season in the top 25 percent of all safeties around the league. That kind of positional fluidity will allow the Chiefs to move him around based on situation or matchup – a valuable commodity in today’s NFL.

5. His foundation helps financially disadvantaged children achieve their dreams

Mathieu’s foundation is active in both his hometown of New Orleans and in Phoenix – even after his departure from the Cardinals. In fact, Mathieu opened a “Tech Zone,” chock-full of musical instruments, computers and art supplies, at a Phoenix-area Boys and Girls Club last September.

First Cut.. many more tech zones to come!!! pic.twitter.com/fVDhfyXydR
— Tyrann Mathieu (@Mathieu_Era) September 26, 2018

He’s also organized backpack giveaways and Thanksgiving turkey distributions in addition to supporting students financially through his scholarship program.

The guy is a pretty impressive motivational speaker, too.

The @Chiefs signed @Mathieu_Era today.

Never forget the motivational message he gave the @MarshallBuffs 🏈team.🙏@1MalikH1

(Via @HoustonTexans )

🎥 https://t.co/u0vmvHP29P pic.twitter.com/Wv3bL9j7dL
— MaxPreps (@MaxPreps) March 12, 2019
That energy will be making its way to Arrowhead Stadium soon enough.

Unread 2019-03-15, 02:56 PM   #298
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Unread 2019-03-15, 03:52 PM   #299
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Unread 2019-03-15, 04:52 PM   #300
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

WR Hill under investigation over alleged battery

Kansas City Chiefs star wide receiver Tyreek Hill is being investigated by police over an alleged battery.
In a statement to the Kansas City Star, the Chiefs acknowledged an investigation into Hill is taking place.
"The club is aware of the investigation involving Tyreek Hill," the Chiefs told the Star. "We're in the process of gathering information and have been in contact with the league and local authorities. We'll have no further comment at this time."
According to a police report from the Overland Park Police Department obtained by the Star, an alleged battery took place in which a juvenile was a victim and Hill's fiancée is listed as "others involved." It wasn't immediately clear what Hill's involvement in the alleged incident was or when it took place.
Hill, 25, has not been charged, according to the Star.
While at Oklahoma State, Hill was convicted of domestic assault for an incident in which he was accused of punching and choking his girlfriend. He was given three years of probation and ordered to undergo anger management classes.
He completed probation in 2018 and his conviction was dismissed.

Closed Thread