Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Movies, Music, TV, Books

Unread 2009-09-09, 09:45 AM   #1
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
Default Judge Dredd Reboot Gets a Writer

Finally the movie is progressing! Read on if you want to know the writer chosen...
Perhaps this shouldn't be so much of a surprise, given that Judge Dredd is a project nestling under the wing of Danny Boyle's DNA films. But we're still ludicrously excited by the news, picked up from Twitter by MTV's Splashpage, that Alex Garland is working on a draft of the script.

Garland previously wrote The Beach, 28 Days Later, Sunshine and 28 Months Later for Boyle, and his involvement was confirmed via tweet by British comics artist Mark "Jock" Simpson, who has worked extensively on Dredd strips for 2000AD and has been coming up with concept art for the projected new film. "Working through script visuals for Judge Dredd movie. Alex Garland writes a great script," is the full missive. He is also rumored to be the the script-writer for Halo. Danny Boyle is also rumored to be making a Solomon Grundy movie says imdb.com

JFYI Judge Dredd is about a man who is a law enforcement officer in a violent city of the future where uniformed Judges combine the powers of police, judge, jury and executioner. Dredd and his fellow Judges are empowered to arrest, sentence and even execute criminals on the spot. And for those who don't know, Judge Dredd was adapted into a movie in the year 1995 starring the one-man-killing-machine-who-does-totally-impossible-things-in-movies SYLVESTER STALLONE!!! sadly the movie bombed and got alot of negative reviews, but no matter what they say I still like the movie.

There you go another comic book movie in the making (and sorry if you disagree with me this movie really needs a reboot).

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-11-24, 04:27 PM   #2
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

More Judge Dredd Movie Twitter News

Tweets from Mark Simpson, better known by his pen name as Jock, a British comics artist, mostly known for his work with Andy Diggle in the weekly UK series; 2000 AD.
Jock started his professional comic book career at 2000 AD and has kept working there, mainly on Judge Dredd as well as Lenny Zero, despite getting steady work in the America comic book market, at DC Comics and their Vertigo imprint. He's also better know for The Losers.

Jock has posted some of his own "Judge Dredd" artwork for the adaption online already, if you missed it the first time i'ts up top again altogether.

heres what he said on Twitter:

"On the train, heading home. Dredd meeting went really really well."

Unread 2010-01-29, 01:42 PM   #3
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Judge Dredd Creator Discusses Planned Remake

According to the characters creator, the upcoming movie will be much closer to the comics than the widely panned first film was...
"I have read the script by Alex Garlan (28 Days Later) and seen Jock's (The Losers) visuals," creator John Wagner confirmed to MTV News.

"While I can't go into detail about the content I can say that it's high-octane, edge of the seat stuff, and gives a far truer representation of Dredd than the first movie."

Wagner's went on to say that he's far from being a fan of the 1995 original that starred Sylvester Stallone in the title role, "I hated that plot," he said. "It was Dredd pressed through the Hollywood cliché mill, a dynastic power struggle that had little connection with the character we know from the comic."

So how confident is he that the remake will be a more successful adaptation? "Confident? I will be once I hear they've started filming!

Unread 2010-05-10, 07:40 PM   #4
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Judge Dredd Update
According to Deadline.com, the new(hopefully good!) version of Dredd has found a director, a financier, and will be shopped at the Cannes Film Festival to try to find a distributer..oh, and it'l be 3D too..
As any fan of the Judger Dredd comic knows, Stallone's 1995 effort was ...lacking. Yeah I feel like being nice! So a lot of people were happy when it was announced that we would be seeing a new, more faithful version at some point. But the last we heard of it, the film was kinda stuck in Limbo with no one locked on board to bring it to the screen. Well now according to Mike Flemming over at Deadline thats all changed...

..Andrew Macdonald’s DNA Films has made a deal with India-based Reliance Big Entertainment to finance Judge Dredd, a 3D film that was scripted by Alex Garland, and will be directed by Pete Travis, best known for Vantage Point and Omagh. The film will be shopped at the[Cannes] festival, I hear.This was expected to go through at Fox, so breath a sigh of relief all that think that studio is Satan's office space! Apparently the time to finalize the deal was up and they let it go for whatever reason. Pete Travis has directed 2 movies(Vantage Point and Endgame) and a few tv shows. I have only seen Vantage Point and thought it was meh, but lets hope he does a good job of bringing old stony face to us in a more violent, satirical, faithful manner. Garland's best known for scripting The Beach, but he also wrote the Danny Boyle-directed scifi film Sunshine. Apparently the film will be brought in at a budget of 50 million.

Unread 2010-07-21, 11:32 PM   #5
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Will Karl Urban Be Judge Dredd?

Bleeding Cool have received word that the Star Trek actor and fanboy favorite has been offered the role of Dredd in the upcoming reboot...
News on this movie has been slowly leaking out. We know its going to be a lot darker, grittier and more faithful to the satirical 2000 Ad comic character than the previous Sly Stallone movie was and last week we got a glimpse at the "rumored) plot details which was described as "16 Blocks like", with Dredd and new partner Judge Anderson trying to get from A to B while a riot rages in Mega City 1. Not sure I like the sound of that..anyway...

Well, Bleeding Cool now understands that Karl Urban will be offered the role of Judge Dredd in the new movie. Or at least Judge Dredd’s chin. Because one of the main provisos of the deal is that, just as in the comic, Judge Dredd will not remove his helmet. But of course that chin will now be seen in glorious three dimensions. And, contract willing, Karl Urban is of a mind to accept it.

I hope this is on the level and Urban accepts, he may not have the exaggerated chin of Dredd, but otherwise I think he would do a great job. Urban is best known for playing Eomer in LOTR, and more recently Dr "Bones" McCoy in Star Trek. We will see him next in another CBM, < em="">, opposite Bruce Willis and a whole host of great actors. <>

Unread 2010-07-26, 05:42 PM   #6
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Karl Urban Confirms Judge Dredd Role!

The Star Trek star has confirmed that he'll portray the lead character in Pete Travis's upcoming movie adaptation...
The recently announced reboot will apparently be written by 28 Days Later scribe Alex Garland and will apparently be a closer adaptation of the original comics than Sylvester Stallone's 1995 outing.

Although he recently hinted that he'll play Judge Dresd, Urban made the announcement during an appearance on the New Zealand movie show Reel Late With Kate. "Yes, it's true, I am the law," he said, later adding that he is "thrilled to bits" with the role.

Judge Dredd is scheduled to begin filming in the autumn and will be shot in 3D.

Unread 2010-07-26, 08:42 PM   #7
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

I'm excited... but Stallone 4 lyfe yo
Ricerking13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-07-26, 08:51 PM   #8
Albatross

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 190
Likes (Given): 277
Likes (Received): 1332
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricerking13 View Post
I'm excited... but Stallone 4 lyfe yo
this
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-08-13, 07:46 PM   #9
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

New Details On The Judge Dredd Reboot!

Karl Urban has now been confirmed as Judge Dredd by the film's producers who have also gone into more detail about the R-rated reboot's director and more...
Karl Urban has already said that he'll be playing the character in an upcoming reboot from Vantage Point director Pete Travis. However, the film's producers Andrew MacDonald and Allon Reich have now shared some more details about the movie and confirmed that Urban will indeed be Judge Dredd.

"The main thing about Dredd is that it’s a fantastic comic that was completely messed up 20 years ago. Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Megacity, so we’ve got to get the tone right. He’s not going to take off his helmet. His bike is going to feel real. He’s going to hit people and it’s going to feel real."

"There’s been a change in comic-book movies; they were treated unseriously and now they’re treated seriously. We’ve cast a guy called Karl Urban to play Dredd. We’ll be shooting in Johannesburg, it’s being directed by Pete Travis, we’re shooting with the people who did District 9 – and if we get it right, Alex has a couple of ideas for other stories as well. It’s not based on any one comic, and John Wagner is involved in every decision."

Are you looking forward to this movie? Is Karl Urban the right guy for the job? Share your thoughts in the usual place! Judge Dredd is scheduled to begin filming in the autumn and will be shot in 3D.

Unread 2010-09-03, 12:33 PM   #10
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Olivia Thirlby To Play Cassandra Anderson In Judge Dredd 3D

The actress is set to co-star along Karl Urban in the new film version of the popular comic book character!
By now, we already know that Karl Urban is set to play the iconic comic book character Judge Dredd in the upcoming 3-D movie. Also, the producers of the film confirmed that this version will be a stand alone chapter and it will have nothing to do with the previous film.

Now, Variety reports that another new cast member has been added to the film:

Thirlby, best known for playing the best friend of Ellen Page's preggo character in "Juno," will star opposite Karl Urban's Dredd ("Star Trek," "Doom") in the futuristic action pic. She will play the telepathic rookie who shadows Dredd. DISCLAIMER: This article was submitted by a volunteer contributor who has agreed to our code of conduct. ComicBookMovie.com is protected from liability under "safe harbor" provisions and will disable users who knowingly commit plagiarism, piracy or copyright infringement. For expeditious removal of copyrighted material, contact us HERE.

Unread 2010-09-03, 02:47 PM   #11
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Upcoming Judge Dredd Reboot Gets A New Title And Synopsis!

According to reports, they're going to give the new movie a title that seperates it from the past Judge Dredd and a short synopsis has also been revealed describing it as a "neo-noir action film"...
According to a report over at IGN, the international film sales company "IM Global" (who are currently promoting the upcoming reboot at the Toronto International Film Fest) are referring to the $45 million project with a new title and synopsis!

"DREDD takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot - if necessary. The endlessly inventive mind of writer Alex Garland and the frenetic vision of director Pete Travis bring DREDD to life as a futuristic neo-noir action film that returns the celebrated character to the dark, visceral incarnation from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra's revered comic strip."

Unread 2010-09-17, 06:59 PM   #12
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Karl Urban On Playing Dredd

Urban caught up with Empire magazine to chat about stepping into the mighty boots of Mega City One's toughest Judge, Dredd..
Karl Urban is no stranger to sci fi/fantasy type roles. He made big impacts as Eomer in The Lord Of The Rings Movies and more recently as Dr "Bones" McCoy in Star Trek. Now in about ten weeks Urban will head to South Africa to shoot the new Judge Dredd movie, simply titled: Dredd. Talking exclusively to Empire, the Kiwi actor explains how this new take will differ from the previous Stallone effort..

"I think somewhere along the line Stallone's film was a missed opportunity. As soon as he took his helmet off the enigma was blown. Our film is going to be darker in tone, and we've got the benefit of modern filmmaking and technology to help us."

So with the darker tone, can we expect a bit more of the comics satirical edge?

"I'm hesitant to define it before it's actually been made [but] Alex Garland has done a fantastic job of writing a script that's faithful to the world Wagner created, yet completely fresh in its execution."

And how does he think he will fare going through the entire movie without taking off Dredd's iconic helmet?

"You're taught as an actor that if you take away the eyes you have to think about what you're left with - there's the voice; there's body language. How a character does what he does speaks volumes. So those are the tools I will have to employ."

Garland's plot has been described as a kind of futuristic 16 Blocks. I'm not sure I like that comparison very much! But I'm still very optimistic that Urban will knock it out of the park as old stoney face.

Unread 2010-09-30, 06:34 PM   #13
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Karl Urban Goes Into More Detail About His Role As Judge Dredd!

The actor goes into even more detail about what the character means to him, shares his thoughts on the 1995 version and reveals more about DREDD's plot and tone including the look of the set and more...
On What The Character Means To Him:

"I first started reading Judge Dredd comics when I was probably about 15, working in a pizza parlour. I really responded to the character and the world, so I'm pretty thrilled to be given the opportunity to take this one on."

On How Work On The Movie Is Going So Far:

"Things are going great - we've got a really great script and we're putting together a really fantastic cast. Pete Travis is directing and we're going to start shooting in about eight weeks in South Africa."

On The Movies Plot:

"It is kind of based on an amalgamation of stories. It's a day-in-the-life of Dredd as he gets to put his rookie - Anderson - through her paces. It's going to be hardcore."

On The 1995 Sylvester Stallone Version:

"I read an interview that Stallone had given, and by his own admission, he said that he felt that his Judge Dredd movie was a missed opportunity. It's not really for me to voice my opinion as to what didn't work in the movie for me, but I can say that our version is in no way related to that - it's a different beast."

On How Dredd Will Differ:

"It's going to be much more gritty, much more real - the environment, Mega City One, is going to feel like a real city. It's not going to feel like a Hollywood back-lot. There will be no gold cod-pieces, and we're definitely going to stay faithful to the way that the character was originally conceived and written. He'll keep helmet on."

Unread 2010-11-03, 09:26 AM   #14
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Lionsgate Picks Up The Rights For Dredd

Lionsgate today announced that they have picked up the U.S. distribution rights for IM Global's Dredd, reported by Variety.

Lionsgate films have picked up the distribution rights for the 2000AD comic book character Judge Dredd, titled simply Dredd as well as two other films as yet, not known.

"Dredd starts production on November 12 in Cape Town, South Africa and will be filmed in 3D. It will be directed by Pete Travis and has a budget of $45 million.

The movie takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot - if necessary.

Alex Garland wrote the Dredd script based on John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra's comic strip."

Lionsgate did really well with its recent Stallone release The Expendables and its looking to capitalise on this with Pete Travis' Dredd, Boaz Yakin's Safe and Simon West's Protection.

Unread 2010-11-25, 01:38 PM   #15
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

First Look At Dredd's Mega City 1

Check out the first set pics from Dredd, featuring shots of the lovely, scenic Mega City 1..

The shots from the Cape Town Civic Centre set came in from a scooper over at Bleeding Cool. As you can see, these suggest that this Mega City will be distinctly less sci fi looking than the sprawling metropolis of the Stallone movie, and indeed the comic. But its just a few close up shots of course, and far too early to tell at this point. Does seem to be going all out on that realistic take to me though!. Good or bad thing?

Unread 2010-11-25, 01:44 PM   #16
KC_Si

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 458
Likes (Received): 501
Dislikes (Given): 40
Dislikes (Received): 21

This is going to be awesome.

Even though the other one is kind of corny I like it well enough. This one appears to have the potential to be downright badass though.
Unread 2010-12-06, 02:08 PM   #17
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

More Set Pics From Dredd

Some more shots from the Cape Town set of Dredd. This time featuring our first look at some Mega City One vehicles..

Unread 2010-12-10, 12:21 PM   #18
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

More Pics From The Set Of Dredd

These shots give us another glimpse at the general feel of this film's Mega City one, with posters, graffiti and props. There is also a short description of a typical shooting day..

More shots that suggest director Pete Travis' vision for Mega City One will be far less Blade Runner-esque than the sci-fi metropolis from the 2000 Ad comics. But of coursed, we don't know if these sets will be enhanced in any way in post. The pics were send in by a scooper to Mania, and he also includes a brief description of a scene he saw being shot..

During the day noting is happening on set, they are shooting at night. We went to have a look and took these pictures. A colleague of mine told how his daughter is a stand-in in the movie and he described how he watched them shoot Dredd walking to a closed-off area to look at some bloody bodies. Wish he could have take a picture, but it was not allowed.

Unread 2010-12-11, 04:36 PM   #19
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Dredd Helmet Design!

Hit the jump to see some cool sculpture designs for the helmet being used by Karl Urban in the upcoming Dredd
Here is a sweet new look at Judge Dredd's helmet in sculpture form from the portfolio of the films designer Edmund Woodward:

DREDD takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot – if necessary. The endlessly inventive mind of writer Alex Garland and the frenetic vision of director Peter Travis bring DREDD to life as a futuristic neo-noir action film that returns the celebrated character to the dark, visceral incarnation from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra’s revered comic strip.

Unread 2011-01-11, 07:21 PM   #20
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Lena Headey Lands Villain Role In Dredd

Anyone hoping for Judge Death, or even another take on The Angel gang might be disappointed as the chief villain in Dredd will be "Ma Ma" Madeline Madrigal. Sarah Connor Chronicles' Lena Headey has landed the role..
According to JudgeDreddMovieNews.com..

It hasn't been officially announced but Lena Headey has been cast as the main villian and gang-leader, Madeline Madrigal AKA Ma-Ma. Lena began work on the film last week.
Bleeding Cool also back up the casting. Headey is a fine actress, having already made her way into fanboy's hearts starring as the title character in Terminator spinoff series The Sarah Connor Chronicles and as Queen Gorgo in 300. But what about that character of Ma Ma Madrigal? Well, as far as I know she has never appeared in the comics but then she could be a newer character, I haven't read 200AD in a while! Any of you guys heard of her? I can't find any info online.

Anyway, in the script by Alex Garland she is described as a woman in her late fifties or early sixties with a big scar through her cheek and lip. Lets assume they decided to go a little younger! What do you make of this? Interesting to have a female lead villain at any rate.

Unread 2011-01-21, 04:17 PM   #21
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

New ‘Dredd’ Set Photo Shows Full Costume and Lawmaster Bike

We’ve seen a few photos from Dredd, including one that gave a pretty good idea of how Karl Urban would look wearing the helmet that is a core part of the uniform for the title character. Now here’s a shot that shows a Judge in full costume riding one of the high-tech Lawmaster bikes used by the Judges in Mega-City One.
Dredd is shooting now in South Africa, with Pete Travis directing Karl Urban as Judge Dredd, Olivia Thirlby as Judge Anderson and Lena Headey of The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Game of Thrones as Madeline Madrigal, aka Ma-Ma, aka the leader of a gang who runs one of the blocks in Mega-City One. I’m hoping for good things out of this, as the Alex Garland script has some great elements. I’m still not sold on the visuals we’ve seen, but I’m waiting to see a trailer, to get an indication of how the film will really look after all is said and done.
One good thing about this image is that, while it might just be a stuntman in the suit, the helmet looks better proportioned here than did the one in the early test shot of Karl Urban I linked above. That’s a good sign.

Unread 2011-01-22, 01:19 AM   #22
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 482
Likes (Given): 4078
Likes (Received): 4371
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 169

It's been said a million times, but hollywood really has run out of ideas. Lets ruin another decent movie with a reboot. yaaaaa
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-01-22, 05:35 AM   #23
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlen View Post
It's been said a million times, but hollywood really has run out of ideas. Lets ruin another decent movie with a reboot. yaaaaa
The original wasn't that great vs the comics

Unread 2011-01-22, 10:41 AM   #24
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 482
Likes (Given): 4078
Likes (Received): 4371
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 169

How dare you. lol

We watched a lot of great 80's movies in the barracks. This was a favorite.
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-01-26, 11:50 PM   #25
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Second Look at The Mega-City One Vehicles From The Set of Dredd!

A new shot from the Cape Town set of Dredd with the Mega-City Judge Vehicles but this time at a different angle and you can see the whole sides of the vans...
A better view of the Mega-City vans and buildings too, if their part of the set of course?

LEEE777 - Many thanks to Galactus for the find and there you have it not much but I'm kinda wondering what they are used for... throwing criminals in the back or dogs or even for their bikes?