Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > (Almost) Anything Goes

Unread 2017-10-06, 05:54 PM   #51
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 926
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 6347
Likes (Received): 2732
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
please, without googling, tell me the other very important things that he did.

I'll even help you:
- what battles did he influence as an assistant during the Mexican American war?
- what two states did he help define the boundary between as a surveyor?
- what "uprising" of 22 people did he put down when he showed up after the troops he was supposed to be commanding already had them surrounded before he got there?
- what lasting legacy did he leave during his three years as Superintendant of West Point?

one more hint... you don't fucking know because none of that shit was important except for John Brown and he showed up after they'd been pinned down. the rest of it, he was simply a competent military man who wasn't exceedingly remarkable or influential... his singular major contribution to history was to commit treason in support of a group of racists. there's evidence that he didn't support the Confederacy but rather did it out of duty. yet given who he was being dutiful to and the explicit ends of that group? he's a treasonous, racist piece of shit because unless you were in his circle of family and friends? that's all he did that was meaningful.

but hey, solid trolling to see if you could derail the thread
Yet, he's still widely regarded as one of the greatest military leaders of our country. I say country because he was, prior the Civil War (which he was not a proponent of secession), a Union troop. He was heavily outnumbered/outgunned. While I don't dispute he was a racist, to minimize his brilliance as a military leader is ridiculous.

Hitler was probably one of the worst people to ever walk the Earth, but I wouldn't dispute that he was one of the most influential people of all time.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-06, 07:05 PM   #52
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 156
Thanks (Received): 114
Likes (Given): 375
Likes (Received): 628
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild83 View Post
Yet, he's still widely regarded as one of the greatest military leaders of our country. I say country because he was, prior the Civil War (which he was not a proponent of secession), a Union troop. He was heavily outnumbered/outgunned. While I don't dispute he was a racist, to minimize his brilliance as a military leader is ridiculous.
he was a great tactician and leader of treasonous men, sure. but if we exclude the battles he won by participating in treason that thereby gave him the opportunity to show that off, what would he be known for?

he was admittedly a great tactician whose work as a scout helped Americans secure victory in the Mexican-American war but I'm not sure how many other scouts have military bases, colleges and schools named after them.

after his time as a scout and soldier (not leader) in the Mexican-American War, he was assigned to survey and make maps in Florida. I guess that's the part you're talking about... because who else could've made maps so damn good?

he then ran West Point for three years, making no notable changes that I'm aware of. are you?

he then spent two years as second in command in TX protecting settlers from Indians.

after which time he went home to poorly manage his family's plantation until such time as he actually did command a winning side by putting down John Brown's insurrection of 22 people after they'd been pinned down already and other minor conflicts. that's his military career up to the point that he committed treason and really started to show his talents. but seeing as you're trying to tell me that we shouldn't remember him as simply a traitor whose efforts specifically and directly supported racist pieces of shit... that part doesn't really come into play.

I never said he was stupid, nor have I said he wasn't a great military tactician or leader. I have repeatedly shown (see above and elsewhere) that if you exclude his time as a treasonous asshole who supported people specifically attempting to subjugate an entire race of people, he was almost completely unremarkable. so when you attempt to celebrate him with statues, plaudits and the like, you are celebrating a traitor who anyone is only aware of because he helped to more effectively kill millions of Americans who weren't traitors and whose actions materially and directly helped to enslave millions of Americans based solely on their race (aka at the very least earning a "racist asshole-adjacent" merit badge)...

the best version of your "argument" appears to be:

me: "Robert E Lee was a racist, treasonous piece of shit"
you: "but he was an amazing military mind and leader"
me: "ok, fine... Robert E Lee was a racist, treasonous piece of shit with a brilliant mind who was a great leader of traitors"
you: "see? so much better..."
Hamilton on requiring Congressional supermajorities "...its real operation is to embarrass the administration, to destroy the energy of government, and to substitute the pleasure, caprice, or artifices of an insignificant, turbulent or corrupt junto, to the regular deliberations and decisions of a respectable majority." - Federalist No. 22

Last edited by phreakdna; 2017-10-06 at 07:09 PM..
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-06, 10:46 PM   #53
scoobsmcdoobs

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 86
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 149
Likes (Received): 55
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos64030 View Post
If you aren't aware of what's been going on, here's his post that started the huge s**t storm:

Lol, omg that's comedy
scoobsmcdoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-06, 11:07 PM   #54
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 63

Quote:
just some quick notes on the anthem that is being so 'disrespected':
- it was written by a slave-owning, anti-abolitionist that advocated for sending black people back to Africa as a solution and who openly thought that blacks were an inferior race of people (not uncommon but like Robert E Lee, when his only real contribution was being a racist asshole, its harder to celebrate him)
- but more than focusing on the man, a seemingly relevant fact is that the third verse isn't sung in part because its about celebrating a victory over freed slaves
- the Star Spangled Banner wasn't confirmed as the National Anthem until 1931 after Woodrow Wilson declared it so in 1916 in large part to help out the career of his daughter who had just done a rendition of it to make money.

and for all of the military symbolism that people want to place on the flag and the national anthem, they represent far more than our military, our fallen heroes and our first responders... the flag and the national anthem represent all of us - the best and the worst of us - and the idea that to criticize any part of our nation as part of an effort to challenge it to be better as disrespecting all of it, seems to miss the fact that one of the best things we've done as a nation is strive to get better. to do things the right way and to sacrifice for the greater good. other nations do the same thing but we've historically been better at it which is why we're at the top of the heap. people that have served have my undying gratitude for being willing to do something I wasn't but that doesn't mean they get to take the symbolism of the flag in its entirety. that isn't the bargain that we as a nation make when they serve(d). the flag is far more than that and it kind of pisses me off that people want to reduce it to that.
THANK YOU! It has irratated the hell out of me that people think the flag and anthem only represents those that died fighting the country and freedom, military, police, first responders, etc. It's so God damn ignorant.

Lastly, I have absolutely no issue with people kneeling in protest. I'm not black, but I understand their protest and frustration. The ones that seem most bent out of shape by this are white people that fit a certain demographic. I'll leave it at that.

As for Chad, what a mistake on his part considering his clientele.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-07, 12:44 AM   #55
maynardDRIVESfast

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 269
Dislikes (Received): 4

Quote:
he was a great tactician and leader of treasonous men, sure. but if we exclude the battles he won by participating in treason that thereby gave him the opportunity to show that off, what would he be known for?

he was admittedly a great tactician whose work as a scout helped Americans secure victory in the Mexican-American war but I'm not sure how many other scouts have military bases, colleges and schools named after them.

after his time as a scout and soldier (not leader) in the Mexican-American War, he was assigned to survey and make maps in Florida. I guess that's the part you're talking about... because who else could've made maps so damn good?

he then ran West Point for three years, making no notable changes that I'm aware of. are you?

he then spent two years as second in command in TX protecting settlers from Indians.

after which time he went home to poorly manage his family's plantation until such time as he actually did command a winning side by putting down John Brown's insurrection of 22 people after they'd been pinned down already and other minor conflicts. that's his military career up to the point that he committed treason and really started to show his talents. but seeing as you're trying to tell me that we shouldn't remember him as simply a traitor whose efforts specifically and directly supported racist pieces of shit... that part doesn't really come into play.

I never said he was stupid, nor have I said he wasn't a great military tactician or leader. I have repeatedly shown (see above and elsewhere) that if you exclude his time as a treasonous asshole who supported people specifically attempting to subjugate an entire race of people, he was almost completely unremarkable. so when you attempt to celebrate him with statues, plaudits and the like, you are celebrating a traitor who anyone is only aware of because he helped to more effectively kill millions of Americans who weren't traitors and whose actions materially and directly helped to enslave millions of Americans based solely on their race (aka at the very least earning a "racist asshole-adjacent" merit badge)...

the best version of your "argument" appears to be:

me: "Robert E Lee was a racist, treasonous piece of shit"
you: "but he was an amazing military mind and leader"
me: "ok, fine... Robert E Lee was a racist, treasonous piece of shit with a brilliant mind who was a great leader of traitors"
you: "see? so much better..."
Robert E Lee was my ancestor (seriously). Now you quit talkin bad about my great, great, great grandpappy or I'll shove a confederate flag up your bung hole.
Unread 2017-10-07, 12:35 PM   #56
scoobsmcdoobs

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 86
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 149
Likes (Received): 55
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardDRIVESfast View Post
Robert E Lee was my ancestor (seriously). Now you quit talkin bad about my great, great, great grandpappy or I'll shove a confederate flag up your bung hole.
For real? He was your relative?
Unread 2017-10-07, 12:47 PM   #57
maynardDRIVESfast

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 269
Dislikes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobsmcdoobs View Post
For real? He was your relative?
Yes. My grandmother (who was born a Lee) has the family tree and supporting documents. I've sent her an email to see if she can send me some digital copies.
Unread 2017-10-07, 01:17 PM   #58
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 456
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 3880
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

Quote:
he also refuses to allow any advertising using the American flag to be put up in any bar he's ever managed, won't currently accept shipments of Budweiser with the image of the American flag printed on the boxes and the bottles...

he's a HUGE proponent of 176

he's also very perplexed why everyone that goes to their various churches is so disrespectful of the God(s) they claim to believe in... why everyone that's lived in a monarchy and had the pleasure of meeting their monarch has been so disrespectful...

I'm sorry but this whole thing is just a bunch of made up bullshit to try to distract and divide people. kneeling is an act of honoring and contrition - it literally puts the person in a subservient position that until someone playing a sport did it, was a universal symbol of reverence and obedience.

Do you stand when fabricating the "facts" that you use to make you super special arguments, or do you sit? Just hoping you don't slip and fall into the pile of bull crap you spew forth.

There are no advertisements where I work on the walls, and brotato we don't sell bottled beer other than the occasional special offering.

Having said that, I don't mix politics with work. If a tap handle comes in with a flag on it, I don't consider my workplace to be the proper platform to express my political and religious beliefs.

Sure would be nice if the NFL and its players felt that way too.
Unread 2017-10-07, 11:52 PM   #59
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 482
Likes (Given): 4078
Likes (Received): 4369
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 168

Last I checked bartenders weren't role models, so being that they're in a very public position, it's pretty much normal to see them be vocal about a cause they feel is important.

Don't get so butthurt over a 1 min silent protest before a fucking football game.
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-08, 05:57 AM   #60
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 456
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 3880
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlen View Post
Last I checked bartenders weren't role models, so being that they're in a very public position, it's pretty much normal to see them be vocal about a cause they feel is important.

Don't get so butthurt over a 1 min silent protest before a fucking football game.

Are you drunk posting again?
Unread 2017-10-08, 03:16 PM   #61
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone catch the poorly executed publicity stunt orchestrated by Trump and Pence today at the Colts game? Could not have been more obvious and it's going to backfire on those two.
Unread 2017-10-08, 08:46 PM   #62
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 212
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2480
Likes (Received): 1671
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Pence never intended to stay, based on his agenda. He went to the game with the intent of walking out. Political grandstanding.. yuck.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/run...draising-visit
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-08, 09:11 PM   #63
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Anyone catch the poorly executed publicity stunt orchestrated by Trump and Pence today at the Colts game? Could not have been more obvious and it's going to backfire on those two.
how so?

Oh yeah, where we at on the impeachment?
Unread 2017-10-08, 11:45 PM   #64
Fully-Loaded

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 260
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 1481
Likes (Received): 241
Dislikes (Given): 91
Dislikes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWEETY View Post
We have had a black POTUS. So there are no more excuses about being held down. Stereotypes do exist, and racial tensions flare on those stereotypes. However, if you are going to act like the stereotype.....well..... you are perpetuating the problem. You can do the same thing over and over all you want. Just don't expect a different outcome anytime soon.

I found it actually worth dusting off the old account just to call you a fucking moron.

HAD A BLACK POTUS, RACISM OVER GUYS, GET OVER IT.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Billy Mild, Squeaky192, Keboh liked this post
Fully-Loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-08, 11:58 PM   #65
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
Pence never intended to stay, based on his agenda. He went to the game with the intent of walking out. Political grandstanding.. yuck.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/run...draising-visit
How much did all those flights cost taxpayers? Hmmmmmm.....
Unread 2017-10-09, 12:00 AM   #66
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
how so?

Oh yeah, where we at on the impeachment?
Close.
Unread 2017-10-09, 08:52 AM   #67
carlos64030
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 391
Thanks (Received): 284
Likes (Given): 2785
Likes (Received): 1586
Dislikes (Given): 16
Dislikes (Received): 19

I guess things have gotten REEEEEEALLY bad for Chad. That post of his is no longer a Kansas City thing... it's spiraled out of control and has gone nationwide. His personal Facebook and business pages have been deleted.

One owner, 1997 WS6 Trans Am - Far from stock.
carlos64030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-09, 09:06 AM   #68
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 156
Thanks (Received): 114
Likes (Given): 375
Likes (Received): 628
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 36

Quote:
I guess things have gotten REEEEEEALLY bad for Chad. That post of his is no longer a Kansas City thing... it's spiraled out of control and has gone nationwide. His personal Facebook and business pages have been deleted.
yeah, that sucks.

he had an opinion. its a little fucked (imo) that he tried to organize something based on that opinion to negatively impact others but that should stay a business thing (which was the risk he took when he involved the business/as a business owner) but people suck.

I hope he's able to weather this storm and figure out how to get to the other side of it as quickly as possible.
Hamilton on requiring Congressional supermajorities "...its real operation is to embarrass the administration, to destroy the energy of government, and to substitute the pleasure, caprice, or artifices of an insignificant, turbulent or corrupt junto, to the regular deliberations and decisions of a respectable majority." - Federalist No. 22
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-09, 09:31 AM   #69
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

Someone mentioned his clientele, does he do a lot of stuff for pro athletes?
Unread 2017-10-09, 09:54 AM   #70
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 342
Likes (Received): 3959
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Quote:
This is a bummer to hear, but when someone takes an opinion they hold and uses that opinion and their own personal clout and networking to attempt to elicit an impact on someone, they've stepped outside of the realm of simply having that opinion. They are now trying to oppress or ostracize someone based on something they just didn't like. It had no impact on them....taking it up a notch to the point of trying to impact someone else is where he made a mistake.

Now that comes back on him and unfortunately it can come back much worse.

This is a tale of caution for a lot of us, I think. Having an opinion about something is much different from taking action against another person based on an opinion.
Unread 2017-10-09, 10:17 AM   #71
carlos64030
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 391
Thanks (Received): 284
Likes (Given): 2785
Likes (Received): 1586
Dislikes (Given): 16
Dislikes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
This is a bummer to hear, but when someone takes an opinion they hold and uses that opinion and their own personal clout and networking to attempt to elicit an impact on someone, they've stepped outside of the realm of simply having that opinion. They are now trying to oppress or ostracize someone based on something they just didn't like. It had no impact on them....taking it up a notch to the point of trying to impact someone else is where he made a mistake.

Now that comes back on him and unfortunately it can come back much worse.

This is a tale of caution for a lot of us, I think. Having an opinion about something is much different from taking action against another person based on an opinion.
Totally agree. To make matters even worse, he's now having to have a police escort because of threats on his life. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if his shop becomes a target for radical extremists. Hopefully looting and rioting won't be a concern since people nowadays are looking for any excuse to act out.

One owner, 1997 WS6 Trans Am - Far from stock.
carlos64030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-09, 10:36 AM   #72
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

This story spread fast I noticed on social media

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-09, 11:00 AM   #73
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 260
Thanks (Received): 177
Likes (Given): 2791
Likes (Received): 1318
Dislikes (Given): 141
Dislikes (Received): 64

Quote:
Someone mentioned his clientele, does he do a lot of stuff for pro athletes?
I know I had seen multiple athlete cars he has done.

Things that should have been considered before making a post for some likes and pats on the back from people the support your side.

1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R - Trouble Maker
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-09, 11:07 AM   #74
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 193
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1311
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Totally agree. To make matters even worse, he's now having to have a police escort because of threats on his life. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if his shop becomes a target for radical extremists. Hopefully looting and rioting won't be a concern since people nowadays are looking for any excuse to act out.
No much for Free speech. Anymore, you only get Free speech if you have certain opinions, other opinions are met with violence and hate.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-09, 11:30 AM   #75
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 342
Likes (Received): 3959
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
No much for Free speech. Anymore, you only get Free speech if you have certain opinions, other opinions are met with violence and hate.
Who's freedom of speech was violated and in what way?