Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > (Almost) Anything Goes

Unread 2017-06-16, 10:47 AM   #1
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Default Amazon is buying Whole Foods Market in $13.7-billion deal

A Whole Foods Market on Grand Avenue in downtown Los Angeles in 2015. (Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times)

Amazon.com Inc. is buying Whole Foods Market Inc. in an all-cash deal valued at about $13.7 billion, including the high-end grocery chain’s debt, the companies announced Friday.
Amazon is to pay $42 a share for Whole Foods, a 27% premium over Whole Foods’ Thursday closing price of $33.06.
The grocery chain will still run stores under the Whole Foods brand, keep its headquarters in Austin and retain John Mackey as chief executive, the companies said.
“This partnership presents an opportunity to maximize value for Whole Foods Market’s shareholders, while at the same time extending our mission and bringing the highest quality, experience, convenience and innovation to our customers,” Mackey said in a statement.
The deal is expected to close in the second half of this year. It still needs approval from Whole Foods shareholders and regulators, the companies said.
Whole Foods shares leaped 26.8% to $41.91 in early trading Friday. Amazon shares climbed 3.4% to $996.91.
The acquisition marks Amazon’s biggest foray into groceries — a market in which the e-commerce giant has dabbled for years. It launched its AmazonFresh delivery service in its hometown of Seattle in 2007 and expanded the same-day and early-morning service to Los Angeles in 2013 before tackling other locations nationwide.
Whole Foods, meanwhile, has been rumored as a takeover target in recent years. The company has reported annual sales growth each year for more than a decade, but its profit has been shrinking lately.
The Amazon deal is “maybe what the doctor ordered for Whole Foods,” said Ron Johnston, who publishes the Shelby Report, which tracks the grocery industry. “Amazon is innovative and aggressive and certainly has the capital to infuse and do the kind of things that fit with their management model.”
The grocery market is a place where Amazon’s competitors, such as Target and Wal-Mart, have historically had a leg up.
That could change, said Paul Cuatrecasas, chief executive of corporate finance advisory firm Aquaa Partners. “This deal should leave no doubt that Amazon is deadly serious about dominating all aspects of retail,” he said.
"It is pivotal because the most effective way for traditional companies to fight off disruption, from the likes of Amazon, has been to depend on their industry expertise and physical footprint, while strategically acquiring tech startups to tool themselves up to compete,” Cuatrecasas said. "This deal has dramatically flipped the table on those traditional companies.”
While Amazon may integrate Whole Foods’ business into its sprawling global logistics operation, it would be unwise for the e-commerce giant to vastly and quickly change the in-store shopping experience, analysts said.
“Everybody’s in the [groceries] game, so I think the worst mistake would be to try and reinvent what obviously has been successful for Whole Foods," Johnston said.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-16, 11:42 AM   #2
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Insanity... always thought google was skynet... but it might be amazon.
Ricerking13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-16, 12:16 PM   #3
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1934
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

The truth behind the purchase.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes snm95ls, mild83 liked this post
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-16, 02:37 PM   #4
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 702
Likes (Received): 450
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

here comes the Amazon go Grocery stores with auto checkout
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-16, 02:51 PM   #5
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 927
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 6348
Likes (Received): 2732
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

relevant:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.zdnet...ices-in-store/
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-08-28, 11:59 AM   #6
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Amazon Cuts Whole Foods Prices as Much as 43% on First Day

Amazon Moves Quickly to Show Whole Foods Changes

Amazon.com Inc. spent its first day as the owner of a brick-and-mortar grocery chain cutting prices at Whole Foods Market as much as 43 percent.
At the store on East 57th Street in Manhattan, organic fuji apples were marked down to $1.99 a pound from $3.49 a pound; organic avocados went to $1.99 each from $2.79; organic rotisserie chicken fell to $9.99 each from $13.99, and the price of some bananas was slashed to 49 cents per pound from 79 cents. The marked-down items had orange signs reading “Whole Foods + Amazon.” The signs listed the old price, the new price and “More to come...”.
#lazy-img-317096189:before{padding-top:100.75%;}

The Amazon Echo, a voice-activated electronic assistant, was also for sale at the store for $99.99 -- a sharp pivot into electronics for a company known for kale and quinoa. The Echo Dot, a smaller version, was advertised for $44.99.

The tech giant’s $13.7 billion purchase of Whole Foods has sent shock waves through the already changing $800 billion supermarket industry. The wedding between Amazon and the upscale grocery promises to upend the way customers shop for groceries. Cutting prices at the chain with such an entrenched reputation for high cost that its nickname is Whole Paycheck is a sign that Amazon is serious about taking on competitors such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Kroger Co. and Costco Wholesale Corp.

#lazy-img-317095607:before{padding-top:66.7%;}

Whole Foods Market is lowering their prices. Photographer: David Williams
“Price was the largest barrier to Whole Foods’ customers,” said Mark Baum, a senior vice president at the Food Marketing Institute, an industry group. “Amazon has demonstrated that it is willing to invest to dominate the categories that it decides to compete in. Food retailers of all sizes need to look really hard at their pricing strategies, and maybe find some funding sources to build a war chest.”
Simon Salamon, 60, a regular Whole Foods shopper, said the price drop brought him to the East 57th Street store.
“It reminded me why I shop at Amazon,” he said. “Ninety-nine percent of the time they have the best prices and their return policy is great. With the prices lower, I think we’re more likely to shop here every day.”

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-08-28, 12:17 PM   #7
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 927
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 6348
Likes (Received): 2732
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

I'm really curious to see what Amazon will be able to do with Whole Foods.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-08-28, 02:19 PM   #8
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 366
Likes (Received): 212
Dislikes (Given): 16

The organic market is bullshit, but if you can sell it for the same price as the non-organic food, that's a good start.

Street & Racing Technology
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mild83 liked this post
torqueburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-08-28, 09:46 PM   #9
LTe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 105
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 824
Likes (Received): 289
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 10

While I don't believe organic is bullshit like some people do, because pesticides are so good for you......said no one ever. I did notice today some price drops today when I went grocery shopping which I think is great! Organic shredded cheese was only .50 cents more per package than non-organic which is awesome! Organic tomatoes and other vegetables were cheaper! While it's not a huge impact on the bill overall as I don't buy more than 4 days worth of food but I forgot how much crap vegetables cost at Walmart. Organic just doesn't last as long at home as the junk from other stores, why? Because it's not modified to age slower or sprayed with a bunch of cancer causing chemicals! The chemicals and gmo vegetables do t have the same great flavor as real food does. Organic meats and all kinds of foods tatste better. I realized how bland a lot of food is once our household switched, you don't notice it at first but after a month you do. If you all want to each the other stuff then go ahead but I'll take my organic food any day. The only thing that sucks is I don't get a lot of selection but I can deal with it because I feel better inside.

Personally I think it's a shame that we all don't have access to clean food, they serve people this crap to people and try to tell people it's ok to eat which is bullshit. Then again people are also willing to eat fake ass McDonald's food and people know it's crap so whatever.

They also have amazon lockers which is neat but will not benefit me at all. I hope they go thru the store and really start cutting costs all around but we will see.

Last edited by LTe; 2017-08-28 at 09:58 PM..
LTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-08-29, 08:44 AM   #10
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 366
Likes (Received): 212
Dislikes (Given): 16

I respect your opinion, but it is a VERY misleading industry. There is no scientific evidence supporting them (organics) being more nutritious. Organic farms need 3x more land to produce there food, than conventional farms because they yeild so little. They tell you it's pesticide free. Incorrect. They use "natural" pesticides, and in doing so they have to use 3 times more of it, including copper sulfate which has been proven to cause liver cancer. I read that pyrethrin studies showed a 4 fold increase in leukemia with farmers that used the natural pesticide. Organics are for the rich. That's why, at first, studies seemed to indicate healthier people were linked to organics,but the fact of the matter is, that most organic food is consumed through wealthier people, and wealthier people have better access to medical care than the poor or middle class do. I've said it a hundred times. we are living longer because of advancements in medical science and better understanding of sanitary conditions and living. Most people can't tell the difference in organic and non-organic foods. Meats, yes you can taste the difference, but you're allowing for more pathogens and bacteria to get to free range cows/pigs etc. when you allow them to roam greater distances freely (which takes up more land). Salmonella has been found in LOTS of organic food (all though, very low) due to the fact they use manure. If your looking to live longer or stay healthier than exercise more and cut back on heavily processed foods,and this alone will help you more so than organic food, and it doesn't cost you a arm and a leg. science is what is keeping us alive longer, not the food we're consuming. With that said, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just not worth the extra money and hype. I would be more worried about the clothes I wear, the things I exposed my skin to on a daily basis or just the air I'm breathing in a heavily populated city, more so than the food I eat.
I didn't really touch on cancer in this, but without going into a long post, the probability of you getting cancer from just food related chemicals is pretty low if your eating a balanced "diet". Cancer has a whole host of issues to take into consideration when yrying to determine what the cause is. Age, physical activity, obesity, genetics, environment, smoker, drink alcohol, etc. These all play a roll. Both my parents died from cancer, each before they were 60. my mom didn't live a very healthy lifestyle, but my dad did. Go figure.

Street & Racing Technology

Last edited by torqueburner; 2017-08-29 at 09:16 AM..
torqueburner is offline   Reply With Quote