Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > (Almost) Anything Goes

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 2017-10-01, 04:14 PM   #51
jasman18
 
jasman18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,669
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 247
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroids View Post
What do you guys think is an acceptable expense ratio for mutual funds and etf? I found something i like. The fundamentals are good but management fee and expense ratio is 5 times the average comparing to similar etf. Thanks
< .05% is good
90% of what I do is less than that.

I wouldn't pay more than .6 % for any other type of mutual fund
jasman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-02, 06:42 AM   #52
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 37,823
Post Thanks / Like
Default

It east everything up if its that high. Its been proven time and time again that almost all funds are the same long term so stick with a cheap one.
__________________
Fast as fuck_________________________Your mom thinks its cool______________Old man bike
Ryan Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-26, 05:46 PM   #53
Stroids
 
Stroids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: olathe,ks
Posts: 1,218
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 76
Dislikes (Given): 13
Dislikes (Received): 11
Default

anyone with updates?
__________________
Why aren`t there any knock knock jokes about america?

because freedom rings!
------------------------------------------------------
1997 Honda Civic dx.
1979 Datsun 280z

Stroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 09:52 AM   #54
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 37,823
Post Thanks / Like
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroids View Post
anyone with updates?
TRU has still been good to me. Although now its more steady growth that I hope continues until I can take capital gains. Phillips 66 was also great, kind of flat now but I got in back in August and their refinery side has done quite well. JNJ is still up for me but is kind of lagging now. Pepsi has still been good to me, although some funky stuff is going on in the shadow with that one. Its price shot up on only slightly better than expected earnings and volume and options has been heavy, someone knows something.

KHC is the best evidence that "advisers" dont know shit. She was pushing that shit hard. Glad i got out and fired her, its been in the toilet. Being said, its about as in the toilet as its going to get, will likely cycle up through the holiday season.
__________________
Fast as fuck_________________________Your mom thinks its cool______________Old man bike
Ryan Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 09:57 AM   #55
impaul4
 
impaul4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MCI
Posts: 7,956
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 154
Likes (Received): 911
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 9
Default

I bought Beacon Roofing supply during the hurricane season and made a ton of other's misery. I bought SQ around $36/ share......debating about how long I want to hold it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPHORIC View Post
I guess people are doing anything for a quick buck these days. If I wanna vacuum my house butt naked while listening to Darude - Sandstorm with the blinds open, I should be able to without people OUTSIDE giving a fuck.
impaul4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 10:04 AM   #56
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 37,823
Post Thanks / Like
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by impaul4 View Post
I bought Beacon Roofing supply during the hurricane season and made a ton of other's misery. I bought SQ around $36/ share......debating about how long I want to hold it.
That is like 90% of my life. Speculating is not popular but its a great way to make a lot of money. And betting on macroeconomic factors seems to be far more reliable and less impacted by internal business practices.
__________________
Fast as fuck_________________________Your mom thinks its cool______________Old man bike
Ryan Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 11:49 AM   #57
impaul4
 
impaul4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MCI
Posts: 7,956
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 154
Likes (Received): 911
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
That is like 90% of my life. Speculating is not popular but its a great way to make a lot of money. And betting on macroeconomic factors seems to be far more reliable and less impacted by internal business practices.
I did LL as well. Not as much, it wasn't lucrative. But the roofing paid off.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPHORIC View Post
I guess people are doing anything for a quick buck these days. If I wanna vacuum my house butt naked while listening to Darude - Sandstorm with the blinds open, I should be able to without people OUTSIDE giving a fuck.
impaul4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-12, 10:52 AM   #58
iwillnot
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 4
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default

Has anyone of you guys thought of investing in real estate? Because stocks are a bit like gambling really though they are quite affordable to start with. But the point is that real estate market is more stable and reliable in general. For example nowadays Greece is trending as a good investment market because the economy's been recovering steadily and prices are incredibly low compared to the rest of Europe. But the potential is promising. If you buy apartment in Athens https://tranio.com/greece/attica/athens/ it will bring around 10% income and they are easy to rent out with AirBnB all the year round, because Athens is a darling of tourists from all over the world. I fell in love with the country myself last year and since then did some constructive thinking about investing in it.
iwillnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-12, 02:53 PM   #59
Dave B
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Creating DaveBisms
Posts: 11,935
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillnot View Post
Has anyone of you guys thought of investing in real estate? Because stocks are a bit like gambling really though they are quite affordable to start with. But the point is that real estate market is more stable and reliable in general. For example nowadays Greece is trending as a good investment market because the economy's been recovering steadily and prices are incredibly low compared to the rest of Europe. But the potential is promising. If you buy apartment in Athens https://tranio.com/greece/attica/athens/ it will bring around 10% income and they are easy to rent out with AirBnB all the year round, because Athens is a darling of tourists from all over the world. I fell in love with the country myself last year and since then did some constructive thinking about investing in it.
For the average investor with a few million or less in assets, I'd shy away from real estate in foreign countries and/or cheap, but questionable US areas. There's certainly a lot that could be made, but there's also a lot that could be lost very quickly. Real estate in Greece is not what I'd consider a low or even moderate risk investment.

I've been in the market since the 1990s. Low cost SP500 index funds with some solid stocks and bond funds, where needed, has worked exceptionally well for me. Even Buffet says this is the best approach for most. If I were to get into real estate, it would be flipping smaller homes in cheap/moderately priced areas that need little minimal upgrades to turn around a decent profit. I have no desire to rent. I know way too many people that got burned doing it and there's a lot of unexpected cost that can go into it.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-12, 04:52 PM   #60
Billy Mild
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pevely, MO
Posts: 6,092
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 115
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 2539
Likes (Received): 581
Dislikes (Given): 84
Dislikes (Received): 32
Default

I would look into Iota or litecoin.
__________________
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-12, 09:18 PM   #61
polock4life
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,931
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 109
Likes (Received): 168
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 15
Default

I agree with Dave about overseas real estate.

I do real estate here... I haven't found as single index fund that can match what I am able to do with houses. Not knocking the market as the last few yrs have been awesome and we continue to fund our Roth and 457.

Yes Dave that's an ideal flip situation but almost impossible to find and don't forget about the nearly 40-50% most flippers pay in taxes.

My real estate is hold and rent.. builds more wealth in my opinion than flipping. You can combine it with a "flip" mindset and really explode someone's brain. My last deal literally has an infinite ROI.

Biggest mistakes are people overpay and don't know market rents. Second biggest mistake is not knowing how to properly screen tenants and to run it like a business. Most people who talk about getting burned make one of those mistakes.

Cash flow, debt paydown,tax breaks, and appreciation are tough to beat.

Last edited by polock4life; 2017-12-12 at 09:27 PM..
polock4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-13, 04:25 PM   #62
jasman18
 
jasman18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,669
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 247
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 18
Default

How many you got now pollock?

I have 5 doors now & My real estate also out performs but I also make sure I'm diversified. Having too much it either is bad.
I'm currently sitting at 30% real estate as total percent of assets. I don't want to get to much higher as it is too illiquid. (The price you pay for higher returns)


To the poster above (Iwillnot), if someone ever tells you that the "stock market is gambling" just smIle kindly and disregard what they are saying because it is obvious they don't know what a share of an established company really means.
I've heard so much from those folks over the years. "Stock market is gambling, buy gold, stoke pile guns, the US is going to collapse.
I don't even waste my time trying to tell them otherwise.
jasman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-13, 09:00 PM   #63
polock4life
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,931
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 109
Likes (Received): 168
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasman18 View Post
How many you got now pollock?

I have 5 doors now & My real estate also out performs but I also make sure I'm diversified. Having too much it either is bad.
I'm currently sitting at 30% real estate as total percent of assets. I don't want to get to much higher as it is too illiquid. (The price you pay for higher returns)
Agree it's good to diversify.

I just have a handful. Nothing to brag about. Hope to have 25k/mo in gross rents when I'm done buying them. Everything we bought this year is on a 20 yr note. My kids will just be getting out of college or close by then. Even if we didn't buy any more and rents don't go up it would be enough to make close to $50k/yr with only a few doors. I doubt I will totally pay them off due to all the tax benefits but I may change my tune with age

Personally I think real estate is far less volatile and easily liquidated in my case. I don't know of any way to sell my stocks without having to pay taxes on thst money. My rental income is basically tax free and can be my entire life with a few options

I only have college rentals or nice homes. I could sell anything quite fast if it was necessary. However I buy with equity built in or with the ability to raise rents or rehab. This way they cash flow from the start and significantly over covers the mortgage. I don't want to get too specific as it will sound conceited.

I kind of fell into this but real estate is where it's at for me. A tangible asset makes more sense for my personality. I don't understand the market well enough so I could never get close to the returns I see with housing. I can leverage much better and at a much lower risk. Even with my index funds getting 20+% this year it doesn't come close to my housing. If I had 500k in my index funds I might feel differently.

Last edited by polock4life; 2017-12-13 at 10:24 PM..
polock4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-13, 11:53 PM   #64
jdne5b
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lee's Summit
Posts: 534
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 59
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polock4life View Post
Agree it's good to diversify.

I just have a handful. Nothing to brag about. Hope to have 25k/mo in gross rents when I'm done buying them. Everything we bought this year is on a 20 yr note. My kids will just be getting out of college or close by then. Even if we didn't buy any more and rents don't go up it would be enough to make close to $50k/yr with only a few doors. I doubt I will totally pay them off due to all the tax benefits but I may change my tune with age

Personally I think real estate is far less volatile and easily liquidated in my case. I don't know of any way to sell my stocks without having to pay taxes on thst money. My rental income is basically tax free and can be my entire life with a few options

I only have college rentals or nice homes. I could sell anything quite fast if it was necessary. However I buy with equity built in or with the ability to raise rents or rehab. This way they cash flow from the start and significantly over covers the mortgage. I don't want to get too specific as it will sound conceited.

I kind of fell into this but real estate is where it's at for me. A tangible asset makes more sense for my personality. I don't understand the market well enough so I could never get close to the returns I see with housing. I can leverage much better and at a much lower risk. Even with my index funds getting 20+% this year it doesn't come close to my housing. If I had 500k in my index funds I might feel differently.
How much equity built in do you shoot for? Are you talking money down or something else?
jdne5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 02:01 PM   #65
polock4life
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,931
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 109
Likes (Received): 168
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 15
Default

My goal is to have as little money invested in the deal as I can.

Last example with rough numbers
Purchase 85k with 10% down
Rehab 40k with 10% down
Total of 125k with out of pocket at 14k with closing

Appraised at 180k. I refinanced at 75%LTV. So my new loan was for 135k. Paid off old note, put money in my pocket tax free, and now own the home at 75% LTV with no money involved.

House rents for 1800/mo.

It's very well this could be the best deal I ever do. I want to be clear they aren't all that way. The goal though is to end up with as much refinanced out as you can with a good monthly cash flow. My opinion is cash flow is what keeps me alive if rents decrease. I hold all my cash flow until i build a comfortable amount of reserves for that property.

Just one way about it. Raising rents works too. Every $100 a month in revenue is worth about $10k in value. Raise rents 400 and you've now raised appraised value around $40k.

All deals are different but my criteria going forward is more strict. It will be to buy, rehab, rent, and refi my monet out of the deal. This method blows away any possible investment strategy in the market that I personally am capable of.

With all that said I still will max our Roth it's via vanguard and put a little money in my 457. I would have more to contribute but they take over 7% of my check for the pension. We could buy a lot more houses if wanted to but I approach houses like I do cars. I will buy nothing at market value.

I also have started 529s for the kids but truthfully the cash flow will be able to pay for college so I don't put a ton in there. They also will have a free place to stay if they go to KU

Last edited by polock4life; Yesterday at 02:09 PM..
polock4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 04:33 PM   #66
jdne5b
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lee's Summit
Posts: 534
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 59
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default

Nice example and solid deal. Thanks.
jdne5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.13.37
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright (c) 1993-2012, KCSR.org