Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Bikes

Unread 2014-06-19, 05:50 AM   #1
Cree

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 210
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 12
Default Electric Harley

Leaks are everywhere. MoCo may confirm or deny officially later today. Pretty neat idea, wonder how well it will do.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/ne...with-livewire/

Stand and be Counted
13 Harley FXDB - 13 Fusion - 00 4Runner
Cree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-19, 08:04 AM   #2
Justin 05 STi

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 415
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 11
Default electric Harley

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...c7d_story.html

Quote:
MILWAUKEE — Harley-Davidson will unveil its first electric motorcycle next week, and President Matt Levatich said he expects the company known for its big touring bikes and iconic brand to become a leader in developing technology and standards for electric vehicles.
Harley will show handmade demonstration models Monday at an invitation-only event in New York. The company will then take several dozen riders on a 30-city tour to test drive the bikes and provide feedback. Harley will use the information it gathers to continue refining the bike, which might not hit the market for several more years.
The venture is a risk for Harley because there’s currently almost no market for full-size electric motorcycles. The millions of two-wheeled electric vehicles sold each year are almost exclusively scooters and low-powered bikes that appeal to Chinese commuters. But one analyst said investment by a major manufacturer could help create demand, and Levatich emphasized in an interview with The Associated Press that Harley is interested in the long-term potential, regardless of immediate demand.
“We think that the trends in both EV technology and customer openness to EV products, both automotive and motorcycles, is only going to increase, and when you think about sustainability and environmental trends, we just see that being an increasing part of the lifestyle and the requirements of riders,” Levatich said. “So, nobody can predict right now how big that industry will be or how significant it will be.”
At the same time, Levatich and others involved in creating the sleek, futuristic LiveWire predicted it would sell based on performance, not environmental awareness. With no need to shift gears, the slim, sporty bike can go from 0 to 60 mph in about 4 seconds. The engine is silent, but the meshing of gears emits a hum like a jet airplane taking off.
“Some people may get on it thinking, ‘golf cart,’” lead engineer Jeff Richlen said. “And they get off thinking, ‘rocket ship.’”
One hurdle the company has yet to address is the limited range offered by electric motorcycles. The batteries must be recharged after about 130 miles, and that can take 30 minutes to an hour.
San Jose State University police Capt. Alan Cavallo helped his department buy two bikes from Zero Motorcycles, the current top-selling brand, and said officers have been “super happy” with the quiet, environmentally friendly bikes made nearby in Scotts Valley, California. But he said American riders who like to hit the highway would likely lose patience with the technology.
“That’s the deal with the cars; you can’t jump in a Tesla and drive to LA, it won’t make it,” Cavallo said, adding later, “People want the convenience of ‘I pull into a gas station, I pour some gas in my tank and I go.’”
Zero Motorcycles introduced its first full-size motorcycle in 2010 and expects to sell about 2,400 bikes this year, said Scott Harden, the company’s vice president of global marketing. That would give it about half of the global market for full-size, high-powered electric motorcycles.
In comparison, Harley-Davidson alone sold more than 260,000 conventional motorcycles last year. But John Gartner, a research director for the consulting firm Navigant Research, said having large, well-funded companies get into the electric motorcycle market could give it a significant boost. The major automakers helped drive sales for hybrid and electric cars, he noted.
“Their marketing budgets are much larger and they have dealerships set up everywhere, and so it’s much easier for companies like Ford, BMW and Honda to advertise about their electric vehicles,” he said.
Levatich said true growth will require common standards for rapid charging and other features, as well as places for people to plug in. Harley expects to play a key role in developing electric vehicle standards, and its dealership network could provide charging stations to serve all drivers, he said.
“We’ve been very silent up to this point about our investment in EV technology,” Levatich said. “... but now that we’re public, and we’re in this space, we expect to be involved and a part of leading the development of the standards, and the technology and the infrastructure necessary to further the acceptance and the utility of electric vehicles.”
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather as a Force Multiplier: Owning the Weather in 2025
In 2025, US aerospace forces can “own the weather” by capitalizing on emerging technologies and focusing development of those technologies to war-fighting applications.
Justin 05 STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-19, 08:06 AM   #3
BrixDaddy

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 134
Likes (Received): 137
Dislikes (Received): 1

I think it looks sweeeeet. Would ride.
Unread 2014-06-19, 08:46 AM   #4
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 1792
Likes (Received): 1701
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

Awesome! I hope it is all true. I am sure a lot will hate it, but damn, this type of thing is awesome. Keep moving forward. I would love to see more electric bikes come out with longer ranges and lower prices.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-19, 08:49 AM   #5
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 341
Likes (Received): 3959
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdaEX5jh5Lk
Likes snm95ls, 84USNGT, Karlen liked this post
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-19, 08:55 AM   #6
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

merged the 2 threads

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-19, 09:42 AM   #7
hvymtl939

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 209
Likes (Received): 136
Dislikes (Given): 8

Love everything about it besides the fake chrome oil pan thing at the bottom. That frame looks incredible.
hvymtl939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-19, 09:45 AM   #8
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymtl939 View Post
Love everything about it besides the fake chrome oil pan thing at the bottom. That frame looks incredible.
It does look neat. I like the rear fender. Definitely different.
Unread 2014-06-19, 09:50 AM   #9
xXSTi-lynXx

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 212
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 1180
Likes (Received): 988
Dislikes (Given): 67
Dislikes (Received): 81

Im no bike guy but that does look sexy. However, a part of me thinks an electric harley is kind of sacriligious

2005 AW STi Stage 2 w/ E85 -324whp 378wft/lbs - Casper
2002 Toyota tacoma TRD
xXSTi-lynXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-19, 10:11 AM   #10
BrixDaddy

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 134
Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Video
I, for some reason, find this hilarious. Watched it thrice.
Unread 2014-06-19, 10:28 AM   #11
87gn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 126
Likes (Received): 185
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymtl939 View Post
Is that the case for the motor?
Unread 2014-06-19, 02:10 PM   #12
hvymtl939

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 209
Likes (Received): 136
Dislikes (Given): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87gn View Post
Is that the case for the motor?
No clue, but I think it looks tacky and cheapens the look of the rest of the bike.
hvymtl939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-19, 02:55 PM   #13
Moltar

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Have they talked at all about pricing yet?
Moltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-19, 04:35 PM   #14
Cree

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltar View Post
Have they talked at all about pricing yet?
Still just a concept / market test. I think it may be production ready with a couple tweaks, but it's more about seeing what everyone says about it.

Stand and be Counted
Unread 2014-06-20, 07:18 AM   #15
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSTi-lynXx View Post
Im no bike guy but that does look sexy. However, a part of me thinks an electric harley is kind of sacriligious
Guys around here are flipping a shit, youd think they had just moved all production to Mexico.

I love the concept of electric bikes, just not the bikes themselves. Or specifically, the bike you get for the money. The Zeros are awesome bikes but I cant spend $10k on a bike that can ONLY be in the city because of a 78 mile range (if youre nice).

Once they get that same range but be more like 5 I would have one, imagine no gas and almost no heat in Atlanta traffic, sign me the fuck up. I couldnt sell either of my current bikes though, the MV is too awesome and I would still need the Guzzi for road trips.
Unread 2014-06-20, 10:29 AM   #16
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
Guys around here are flipping a shit, youd think they had just moved all production to Mexico.

I love the concept of electric bikes, just not the bikes themselves. Or specifically, the bike you get for the money. The Zeros are awesome bikes but I cant spend $10k on a bike that can ONLY be in the city because of a 78 mile range (if youre nice).

Once they get that same range but be more like 5 I would have one, imagine no gas and almost no heat in Atlanta traffic, sign me the fuck up. I couldnt sell either of my current bikes though, the MV is too awesome and I would still need the Guzzi for road trips.
The new Zero can go up to 170 miles...

They are expensive for what you get at the moment. I think Harley would have a lot better luck if it had the range of 120-170 miles, as 50 is going to be tough to justify. A lot of people enjoy rides that go out of town a little ways, poker runs, etc., and 50 miles will not usually get that done.
Unread 2014-06-20, 10:57 AM   #17
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach351 View Post
The new Zero can go up to 170 miles...
Well, yeah if its kitted out for a whopping $17,500.

You know what else i can get for that kind of money?

This, taxes paid, with a full tank of gas and a new helmet:

I want alternative fuels/electric to work, just right now I dont have the kind of money to spend on something that is only good as a commute to work or to ride to bike night and pose.
Ryan Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-20, 11:02 AM   #18
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

I should say that, if anyone can pull it off now, its Harley. People pay so much for the brand that they are already used to not doing the simple "value for money" shopping, so they would be one of the few groups (outside of hollywood) that could easily be sold on them.
Ryan Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-20, 11:02 AM   #19
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Well, yeah if its kitted out for a whopping $17,500.

You know what else i can get for that kind of money?

This, taxes paid, with a full tank of gas and a new helmet:

I want alternative fuels/electric to work, just right now I dont have the kind of money to spend on something that is only good as a commute to work or to ride to bike night and pose.
I am not a sport bike guy, but that is a good looking bike.

I agree, that right now the electric bike is not real cost effective, but I do think that Zero has an upper hand on the harley with a range that is 3+ times what HD's is. That is the only way to make a bike like that practical.
Unread 2014-06-20, 11:05 AM   #20
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Issue is its really not on them, its the electrical engineers that are going to make it happen. We have to find a way to store more energy cheaply and reliably. You can already get great motors, they fit well into chassis, and you can even mitigate the weight of the batteries.

But nothing can really help that you can only go on a short cruise and then have to stay overnight before you can ride again.
Unread 2014-06-20, 11:08 AM   #21
roman.GSR

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 294
Likes (Received): 391
Dislikes (Given): 52
Dislikes (Received): 54

I can dig it
roman.GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-20, 01:52 PM   #22
Cree

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

....then have to stay overnight before you can ride again.
This is the larger problem that needs to be fixed before electric anything is really a viable alternative. Need an Elec filling station that can drop a charge in something in about 5 min. However, there's other issues there that would need addressed also, like standard plug ins and what not.

It's a neat concept, and I'm impressed they have enough vision to look this far forward, but I think the product as a whole is several years out still.

Stand and be Counted
Unread 2014-06-20, 03:05 PM   #23
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cree View Post
This is the larger problem that needs to be fixed before electric anything is really a viable alternative. Need an Elec filling station that can drop a charge in something in about 5 min. However, there's other issues there that would need addressed also, like standard plug ins and what not.

It's a neat concept, and I'm impressed they have enough vision to look this far forward, but I think the product as a whole is several years out still.
A battery exchange
Unread 2014-06-22, 04:13 PM   #24
BluBeaSSt

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 612
Likes (Received): 651
Dislikes (Given): 33
Dislikes (Received): 29

I dig the hell out of it for multiple reasons.

1. The bike looks light and it's said between 75-80hp.
2. The upside to an electronic motor would be instant torque.
3.It looks pretty damn sick!
4. It sounds like batman's bike.

Now would I buy one? Kinda doubt it, but I'd love to ride it!

I think it's basically Harley flexing their R&D muscles. Showing everyone this isn't the 70s anymore.
BluBeaSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-23, 07:32 AM   #25
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach351 View Post
A battery exchange
They could be more feasable with a bike, since the pack would only be a couple of hundred pounds. But still, its not like you would have little stations every 70 miles along the blue ridge parkway stocking multiple packs for every make and model out there. Everyone would need a standard. And the energy density is shit, so a station that could fill up a few thousand cars from an underground tank would need a huge warehouse to support the same numbers.

Im really hoping hydrogen becomes viable. The energy density is much closer to gasoline, it can be compressed and moved as a fluid and can be as safely stored as gasoline. The big obstacle right now is producing it, creating it from water takes a lot of energy so we make it from natural gas at the moment.