Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Politics, Religion, Current Events

Unread 2013-04-09, 08:17 AM   #201
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 259
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1954
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Not that I want it to happen, but at this point I am just waiting for NK to pull the trigger. Each day it's just more of I'm going to do it. The next day, it's we're really going to do it. NK's rhetoric is too deep at this point I feel. If they back down no one will ever take them seriously. If they pull the trigger they throw themselves into a war the likely won't win. It's really a lose lose for them at this stage of the game.

The more threats that they issue, the more the closer they will get to trying to go out in a blaze of glory.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-09, 08:24 AM   #202
06g35meister

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 382
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 14

situation."
06g35meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-09, 11:46 AM   #203
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 267
Thanks (Received): 319
Likes (Given): 1963
Likes (Received): 2502
Dislikes (Given): 40
Dislikes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
Not that I want it to happen, but at this point I am just waiting for NK to pull the trigger. Each day it's just more of I'm going to do it. The next day, it's we're really going to do it. NK's rhetoric is too deep at this point I feel. If they back down no one will ever take them seriously. If they pull the trigger they throw themselves into a war the likely won't win. It's really a lose lose for them at this stage of the game.

The more threats that they issue, the more the closer they will get to trying to go out in a blaze of glory.

This is my thinking and I think that it's to the point of "we know if we start something, we are effectively done as a country so let's go big" and they fire the biggest weapon they have. Why not?
uprrman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-09, 12:24 PM   #204
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 941
Thanks (Received): 340
Likes (Given): 6532
Likes (Received): 2790
Dislikes (Given): 133
Dislikes (Received): 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by uprrman23 View Post
This is my thinking and I think that it's to the point of "we know if we start something, we are effectively done as a country so let's go big" and they fire the biggest weapon they have. Why not?
It seems to me that they don't really care what the rest of the world thinks. They just want to control their own citizens. If they back down, I guarantee it will be because the Americans didn't have enough ice drinks to go around to supply the armed forces.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-09, 12:44 PM   #205
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 482
Likes (Given): 4078
Likes (Received): 4371
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 169

I want them to do it. Launch one pud missile that gets intercepted and then we send every bomber on a fun run and send that country back another few hundred years.
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-09, 01:16 PM   #206
TaintedNylon

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 134
Likes (Received): 129
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlen View Post
I want them to do it. Launch one pud missile that gets intercepted and then we send every bomber on a fun run and send that country back another few hundred years.
Yes, because that will ultimately be beneficial to the international community.
TaintedNylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-09, 01:20 PM   #207
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedNylon View Post
You're hilarious if you think NK has any contribution to the "international community."
Unread 2013-04-09, 01:22 PM   #208
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 941
Thanks (Received): 340
Likes (Given): 6532
Likes (Received): 2790
Dislikes (Given): 133
Dislikes (Received): 138

Quote:
My bro, have you learned nothing from the KCSR sensitivity training??
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-09, 01:24 PM   #209
TaintedNylon

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 134
Likes (Received): 129
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 53

Quote:
You're hilarious if you think NK has any contribution to the "international community."
You make ill-considered posts because you are so narrow minded in terms of the scope of causation you look at. The externalities from such a situation would be broad and ferocious and would continue through the long-term; they would not be felt in the short-term only.

Obviously North Korea is an, in essence, worthless state.
TaintedNylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-09, 01:56 PM   #210
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 570
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3831
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 148

Quote:
China, verbally, has already positioned themselves to flat out not give a fuck if NK goes bye bye. Same with Russia.

If they launch a missile and intend for it to hit a populated area, whether it does or not. We should respond by bombing the ever loving fuck out of them and let SK unite the peninsula. Their govt is more than capable of taking over and running the whole country.
FOACAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-09, 10:07 PM   #211
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
You make ill-considered posts because you are so narrow minded in terms of the scope of causation you look at. The externalities from such a situation would be broad and ferocious and would continue through the long-term; they would not be felt in the short-term only.

Obviously North Korea is an, in essence, worthless state.
Have any proof to this?
Unread 2013-04-09, 10:57 PM   #212
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

So I got nosy about NK's nuclear capabilities during my research i found out that the largest test caused a a 4.2 magnitude tremor 240 miles north of Pyongyang.

Estimated yield was less than 1KT (kiloton) (TNT) here's the stats on a 1 KT blast.

1 KT Nuclear Device
Summary of Impact of 1 KT Nuclear Blast

1 KT - Effective Range for Blast Energy
350m LD50 11m/sec - LD50 means 50% mortality (1148.29 feet = 0.2174792 mile)
550m ED50 4.3m/sec - ED50 would affect 50% population (1804.46 feet = 0.3417538 mile)
750m Penetrating Wounds 55m/sec (2460.63 feet = 0.4660284 mile)

1 KT- Blast Energy and Static Overpressure
150m LD50 50psi - LD50 means 50% mortality (492.126 feet = 0.0932057 mile)
300m ED50 20psi - ED50 would affect 50% population (984.252 feet = 0.1864114 mile)
700m Eardrum Rupture 5 psi (2296.59 feet = 0.4349602 mile)

1 KT -Safe Separation Distance for Eye Injuries
Weapon Yield - 1 KT
Detonation Altitude-300 Meters
Personnel Altitude - Sea Level
Daytime Visibility - 46 km (28.5830748 mile)
Retinal Burns - 16.7 km (10.3768989 mile)
Flash Blindness - 5.9 km (3.66609 miles)

1 KT - Effective Range for Thermal Energy Infrared
700m - 7 cal/cm2 (2296.59 feet = 0.4349602 mile)
800m - 4 cal/cm2 (2624.67 feet = 0.4970966 mile)
1200m - 2 cal/cm2 (3937.01 feet = 0.7456458 mile)

Ours are upwards of 475 KT (TNT). I'm just saying.
Unread 2013-04-09, 11:10 PM   #213
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like

I can't decipher the news articles. Is this the closest we have been since they started posturing? (meaning the last few years)

Are we at a point of no return?
Unread 2013-04-10, 04:07 AM   #214
YourWorstNightmare

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 105
Likes (Given): 1036
Likes (Received): 640
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 19

If that fat fucker thinks he even has a chance, he has another thing coming.

LOL.

That's all I'm going to say.

(and I'm in South Korea right now typing this)
Unread 2013-04-10, 08:40 AM   #215
ForcFed93

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 334
Likes (Received): 675
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 29

'Very high' chance North Korea will fire missile, U.S. and South Korea say

U.S. defense officials are "highly confident" that North Korea is planning the imminent launch of a medium-range missile, echoing warnings from South Korea that the probability of Pyongyang carrying out its threat is "very high."

Pentagon officials say they believe the rogue communist state is preparing to fire one or more Musadan missiles from its east coast.

The North has been threatening the United States and its "puppet" South Korea almost daily in recent weeks, and the Commander of U.S. Pacific Command told Congress on Tuesday that he could not recollect a more tense time in the region since the end of the Korean War.

The youngest son of Kim Jong Il succeeded his late father in 2011, becoming the third member of his family to rule the unpredictable and reclusive communist state.

World leaders have shown alarm at the prospects of a conflict.

"According to intelligence obtained by our side and the U.S., the possibility of a missile launch by North Korea is very high,” South Korea’s Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se told a parliamentary hearing in Seoul, according to Reuters.

Musudan missiles could be launched "at any time from now,” he said.

U.S. defense chiefs have echoed that belief, acknowledging that North Korea has placed a Musadan missile -- which has a range of roughly 1,800 to 2,100 miles, with a minimum range of about 400 miles -- on its east coast.

Adm. Sam Locklear told members of the Senate Armed Services Committee that the U.S. is ready to respond to a North Korean missile launch or other threat.

"I am satisfied that we are ready today, yes," Locklear said.

While testifying before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Adm. Samuel Locklear, Commander of the US military's Pacific Command, says he's confident missile defenses are capable of intercepting a ballistic missile launched by North Korea towards the U.S. — or any of its allies.

Asked specifically whether U.S. forces can intercept a missile from North Korea, Locklear said: "I believe we have a credible ability to defend the homeland, to defend Hawaii, defend Guam, to defend our forward-deployed forces and defend our allies."

He went on to say that the U.S. was in a position to intercept a missile even if one were launched imminently.

Meanwhile, Chinese authorities in the northeastern city of Dandong told tour agencies to halt overland tourism into North Korea, local travel agents said Wednesday.

"All (tourist) travel to North Korea has been stopped from today, and I've no idea when it will restart," a travel agent in Dandong told Reuters.

And despite the taunts from North Korea, which include a warning for foreigners to leave the South, State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said no new security warnings were being issued to Americans in South Korea or those planning to travel there.

Japan deploys Patriot missiles and Aegis radar-equipped destroyers in response to reports that North Korea may be preparing a missile launch. NBCNews.com's Dara Brown reports.

"There's no specific information to suggest imminent threat to U.S. citizens or facilities in the Republic of Korea,” he added. “So the U.S. Embassy has not changed its security posture. We have not recommended that U.S. citizens who reside in or plan to visit the Republic of Korea take special security precautions at this time."

Amid the regional tension, South Korea blamed Pyongyang for a cyberattack that shut down tens of thousands of computers and servers at banks last month.

Investigators detected similarities between the March cyberattack and past hacking attributed to the North Korean spy agency, including the recycling of 30 previously used malware programs — out of a total of 76 used in the attack, said Chun Kil-soo, an official at South Korea's Internet security agency.
Unread 2013-04-10, 09:10 AM   #216
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Missiles and Memorial Stones: Figuring Out North Korea and China

BEIJING — Everybody is watching North Korea closely: Will it launch a ballistic missile? Destroy Seoul? Or, on an entirely different note, hold an international marathon in Pyongyang on Sunday to mark the birthday on April 15 of the nation’s founder, Kim Il-sung, as Japan’s NHK World has reported, citing North Korea’s state-run news agency?

But for all the intense focus on the North, perhaps more attention should be paid to China. Attention of a different sort, that is.

Recently, speculation appears to be growing among United States officials that China is shifting its position on supporting North Korea. China has long been the country’s only major ally and relations traditionally were as close as “lips and teeth.”

Yet on the ground – or perhaps in the ground – here in northeast Asia, there are concerns among Koreans that China’s interest may be motivated by something very different: territorial claims. In other words, China is not really interested in aligning itself more closely with the United States on North Korea, because it has its own game plan. All it has to do is ensure that U.S.-North Korean relations remain terrible, as they are, and it increases its influence over the region, politically, economically and strategically.

As the Beijing-based journalist, Francesco Sisci, wrote in a column in the Asia Times Online: “Some Chinese believe the North Korean nuclear test was actually aimed at China, not at South Korea or the U.S. They underscored that for the first time China and the U.S. were informed at the same time about the experiment. In the past, China was informed first.”

Mr. Sisci did not address the issue of territorial claims but wrote: “Pyongyang is tired of being used as a passive pawn in China’s bigger foreign policy plans,” adding, “The ideal situation for Beijing would be a regime in Pyongyang that gives up its nuclear weapons and embraces wider economic reforms.”

For evidence of deep suspicion among Koreans about China, people need look no further than the reported discovery late last year of a memorial stone from the Koguryo, a dynasty that ruled approximately the territory of North Korea (and some of the South) and large parts of China’s northeastern provinces, flourishing for 700 years until 1,300 years ago.

“China conducting closed research into ancient Korean dynasty,” read a headline in the Hankyoreh, a South Korean newspaper. “Observers say work on the Goguryeo stele is an attempt to incorporate it into Chinese history,” the paper said, using an alternative spelling for Koguryo.

The issue is not new. In 2004, China-South Korean relations soured over it. As my colleague James Brooke reported at the time, the tensions were prompted, among other things, by Xinhua, China’s state-run news agency, calling the kingdom a “subordinate state that fell under the jurisdiction of the Chinese dynasties and was under the great influence of China’s politics, culture and other areas.”

That year, too, the Chinese Foreign Ministry deleted references to Koguryo from the Korean history section on its Web site. A Chinese government study group, the Northeast Project, had been set up two years previously, in 2002, to establish the kind of history Beijing was looking for, and issued academic papers bolstering the position that the ancient kingdom was merely a Chinese vassal state.

Protests erupted in South Korea. But North Korea is no less sensitive about China’s claims to the kingdom, which Koreans of all kind see as the forerunner of their nation.

As my colleague in Seoul, Choe Sang-hun, explained back then, two-thirds of Koguryo’s historical territory lies within contemporary China, and Beijing wants to forestall any future Korean claim over its northeastern territory, which is home to large ethnic Korean communities.

At Jilin University, in Jilin province, which borders North Korea, the archaeologist Wei Cuncheng is a key researcher into the bygone dynasty and worked on the Northeast Project, according to the university’s Web site.

Today, Mr. Wei and others are engaged in a research project that began in 2011 and is due to run until 2015, on Koguryo and Bohai culture (Bohai is the name of a sea area off China’s northeast coast). It is a “major project” in the social sciences, the Web site says.

What about the newly discovered memorial stone that has been provoking interest?

The stele, which appears to date to around 414 A.D., was discovered last July in Maxian near Ji’an city in Jilin province, though the discovery was not announced until the beginning of January 2013, the Hankyoreh wrote.

It is the third such object to be discovered in the area, and the same people on the Northeast Project are involved: “The Hankyoreh confirmed that the research team includes a large number of scholars who took part in the Northeast Project, which was controversial for its distortions” of Koguryo history, it wrote.

“Officials in the city of Ji’an in Jilin Province, northeast China,” where the new Koguryo stele was discovered, “assembled a guidance team for protection and study of the gravestone. The research team, according to an announcement posted recently by Ji’an’s Cultural Administration on a local government website, includes Wei Cuncheng, professor at Jilin University,” the Hankyoreh wrote.

Concerns are being raised that China may use the results of the study of the new Koguryo stele to reinforce its argument that Koguryo belongs to China, the newspaper wrote.

So amid all the talk of missiles and marathons, it is worth noting the story of the memorial stone, which points to older, deeper issues at work here in Northeast Asia – and to China’s unique interests in the region.
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-10, 10:40 AM   #217
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like

does anyone else think that if he fires one missile, he'll fire as many as he can since they know what's coming if they do it?

I would die laughing if they tried to fire one at the US and it did a 180 and hit somewhere in China. Then we wouldn't have to get so involved.
Unread 2013-04-10, 11:30 AM   #218
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 3421
Likes (Received): 1009
Dislikes (Given): 187
Dislikes (Received): 144

Quote:

Obviously North Korea is, in essence, a worthless state.
fixt
Unread 2013-04-10, 11:49 AM   #219
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by uprrman23 View Post
does anyone else think that if he fires one missile, he'll fire as many as he can since they know what's coming if they do it?

I would die laughing if they tried to fire one at the US and it did a 180 and hit somewhere in China. Then we wouldn't have to get so involved.
That would be hilarious if it went into china or russia and went off. (Like in a rice paddy with no casualties, not mass casualties.)
Unread 2013-04-10, 12:01 PM   #220
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
That would be hilarious if it went into china or russia and went off. (Like in a rice paddy with no casualties, not mass casualties.)
I have pictured this happening several times, followed by a:

Unread 2013-04-10, 08:45 PM   #221
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Unread 2013-04-10, 09:04 PM   #222
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 136
Likes (Given): 165
Likes (Received): 766
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Unread 2013-04-10, 10:02 PM   #223
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

North Korea Is "ready" to fire a missile at "any minute, any hour."

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/nort...ssile-18927566

Video: North Korea Prepares to Launch Missile

Unread 2013-04-10, 10:09 PM   #224
sr20boy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 904
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 1292
Likes (Received): 192
Dislikes (Given): 435
Dislikes (Received): 89

This is way to hyped up or it is a false flag. Maybe?
sr20boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-10, 10:50 PM   #225
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 699
Likes (Given): 361
Likes (Received): 4001
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

They won't launch. They want someone else to launch first. They are equivalent to that kid in a schoolyard fight that just bounces around yelling hit me but never does anything.

Tags
north korea