Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Politics, Religion, Current Events

Unread 2013-04-05, 11:31 AM   #176
sr20boy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 904
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 1292
Likes (Received): 192
Dislikes (Given): 435
Dislikes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart_SI View Post
Can't get baked in my field of work

Its sad having an open mind is grounds for being a pot head. Kinda ironic too that free thinkers get labeled that.
I'll just quote some of your other post.

Quote:
Everything in this article makes sense and is happening. Am I being paranoid or is it just common sense at this point?

http://personalliberty.com/2013/02/1...-police-state/

Quote:
they need to stop wasting their time on MJ anyway. its going to be legal everywhere soon. There is so much misinformation out there on it, but im glad people are starting to use common sense and realize that its the single most useful plant on this planet.
lolz

Quote:
Another reason to legalize the real stuff. Especially since the real stuff is healthy for you.
I rest my case.
sr20boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-05, 11:55 AM   #177
CosmosM3

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 182
Likes (Received): 217
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 6

I'm tired of the world hating America on one hand, and then expecting us to be the global peace keeper on the other...

That being said I'm super tired of North Korea too. What will it take for a united Korea, and some sanity over there?
Unread 2013-04-05, 11:59 AM   #178
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosM3 View Post
I'm tired of the world hating America on one hand, and then expecting us to be the global peace keeper on the other...

That being said I'm super tired of North Korea too. What will it take for a united Korea, and some sanity over there?

Sound a little bit like the "kids" in Korea that talk of unity while rioting in the streets of Seoul
Unread 2013-04-05, 12:40 PM   #179
CosmosM3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Sound a little bit like the "kids" in Korea that talk of unity while rioting in the streets of Seoul
Well I ask myself which would suck worse, N. Korea taking this too far and getting the hammer or spending the rest of my life with N.Korea...
Unread 2013-04-05, 12:55 PM   #180
sr20boy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 904
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 1292
Likes (Received): 192
Dislikes (Given): 435
Dislikes (Received): 89

Quote:
Well I ask myself which would suck worse, N. Korea taking this too far and getting the hammer or spending the rest of my life with N.Korea...

People really need to bleed for there own wars, I thank we need to start staying away from other country's problems, I have met older Koreans and younger ones and the older ones were very polite and pleasant to talk to but the young ones tended to seem like they didn't like americans which I can understand why in some ways but I really feel if they don't like us in South Korea we should leave.
sr20boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-05, 01:22 PM   #181
Dart_SI

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 30
Dislikes (Given): 9
Dislikes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20boy View Post
I'll just quote some of your other post.

lolz

I rest my case.

Don't bury your head in the sand
Unread 2013-04-05, 02:44 PM   #182
CosmosM3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20boy View Post
People really need to bleed for there own wars, I thank we need to start staying away from other country's problems, I have met older Koreans and younger ones and the older ones were very polite and pleasant to talk to but the young ones tended to seem like they didn't like americans which I can understand why in some ways but I really feel if they don't like us in South Korea we should leave.
I'm saying this purely from the viewpoint of our own self-interests... there are places in the world we cannot stay out of because to do so would jeopardize our own safety and interests. N.Korea has nuclear weapons and has been trying to develop the means to send them long distance. I would rather have a military conflict with them before they gather the means to send their weapons to the continental US.

I think we need to stay out of the Middle East for the most part as well, but at the same time you can't ignore Iran. When I mentioned a United Korea, its because I feel like at some point the same thing that happened in Germany with the wall and East and West will happen with Korea. Not because it's an agenda our country needs to push.
Likes sr20boy liked this post
CosmosM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-05, 02:46 PM   #183
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 259
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1954
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
I think we need to stay out of the Middle East for the most part as well, but at the same time you can't ignore Iran. When I mentioned a United Korea, its because I feel like at some point the same thing that happened in Germany with the wall and East and West will happen with Korea. Not because it's an agenda our country needs to push.
Why can't you ignore Iran?

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-05, 02:48 PM   #184
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

There are similar parallels w/ the DMZ/38th Parallel being there (kind of like the Germany comparison) but it was established before the Korean Conflict so it just kind of stuck
Unread 2013-04-05, 03:02 PM   #185
CosmosM3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
Why can't you ignore Iran?
Serious?
Unread 2013-04-05, 03:04 PM   #186
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Serious?
quite

Unread 2013-04-05, 03:06 PM   #187
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

The US has too much vested in Israel to just "ignore" a country that wants to wipe it off the map of the world
Unread 2013-04-05, 03:17 PM   #188
CosmosM3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
quite
The middle east is hardly a stable region as can be seen in Libya, Egypt, and Syria. Iran wants a nuclear weapon so bad, they would rather continue to pursue it, than stop sanctions that reportedly have their inflation level over 30%. If the government was destablizied ala the Arab Spring and unaccounted for nuclear weapons were taken by terrorists not only would the middle east be in danger but so would the US, and the rest of the world.

I don't think this worlds needs MORE nuclear weapons...
Unread 2013-04-05, 03:19 PM   #189
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE 1-Russia says N.Korea actions cut chance of nuclear talks

(Reuters) - Russia said on Thursday that North Korea's disregard for U.N. restrictions was unacceptable and that its decision to pursue a nuclear programme radically limited the chances of resuming stalled six-party nuclear talks.

Pyongyang formally rejected a U.N. Security Council resolution on March 9 that demanded an end to its nuclear arms programme, signalling it would defy international sanctions and pursue its goal of becoming a full-fledged nuclear weapons power.

"We have taken notice of the March decision ... to further enhance the status of a country possessing nuclear arms for the purposes of self-defence," Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich told a briefing.

"This radically complicates, if it doesn't in practice shut off, the prospects for resuming six-party talks," he said, referring to stalled aid-for-disarmament talks between the two Koreas as well as China, Russia, Japan and the United States.

"Attempts by Pyongyang to violate ... decisions of the U.N. Security Council are categorically unacceptable," Lukashevich said.

North Korea has also said it would restart its shuttered Yongbyon nuclear reactor after leader Kim Jong-un declared at a policy-setting meeting of the ruling Workers' Party on March 31 that the country would bolster nuclear power and develop the economy. (Reporting by Steve Gutterman, Writing by Gabriela Baczynska; editing by Mike Collett-White)
Unread 2013-04-05, 03:41 PM   #190
Ryan H.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 178
Likes (Received): 231
Dislikes (Given): 67
Dislikes (Received): 11

Starting to think that China wants this to happen.
Ryan H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-05, 03:42 PM   #191
ItalionStallion888
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 184
Thanks (Received): 261
Likes (Given): 2195
Likes (Received): 1605
Dislikes (Given): 68
Dislikes (Received): 73

So just saw there was an Earthquake 6.2
ItalionStallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-05, 03:46 PM   #192
Ryan H.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 178
Likes (Received): 231
Dislikes (Given): 67
Dislikes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalionStallion888 View Post
So just saw there was an Earthquake 6.2
NK told the UK, Russia, etc that they can't promise to protect their embassies after April 10.

EDIT: Quake was on the Russian side of the border.

Last edited by Ryan H.; 2013-04-05 at 03:48 PM..
Ryan H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-05, 03:49 PM   #193
CosmosM3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H. View Post
Starting to think that China wants this to happen.
Maybe China is tired of dealing with N.Korea and see this as a way to get out of that arrangement?
Unread 2013-04-07, 10:01 PM   #194
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

China rebukes North Korea, says no state should sow chaos

• View Photo
    Reuters/Reuters - North Korean soldiers take part in a shooting drill in an unknown location in this picture taken on April 6, 2013 and released by North Korea's official KCNA news agency in Pyongyang on April …more

BEIJING/SEOUL (Reuters) - China's leaders issued thinly veiled rebukes to North Korea for raising regional tensions, with the president saying no country should throw the world into chaos and the foreign minister warning that Beijing would not allow mischief on its doorstep.
The weekend comments were the strongest yet by China in response to more than a month of North Korean rhetoric that has included threats to launch a nuclear attack on the United States and to wage war with Seoul.
No country "should be allowed to throw a region and even the whole world into chaos for selfish gain", President Xi Jinping told a forum on the southern Chinese island of Hainan. He did not name North Korea but he appeared to refer to Pyongyang.
Former U.S. Ambassador to China Jon Huntsman said Xi's comments were unprecedented.
"It suggests to me, as I've watched the ratcheting up of frustration among Chinese leaders over the last many years, that they've probably hit the 212-degree boiling point as it relates to North Korea," he told CNN on Sunday.
North Korea kicked off its latest round of threats after U.N. sanctions were imposed for its February 12 nuclear test, the country's third.
Despite the rhetoric, Pyongyang has not taken any military action and has shown no sign of preparing its 1.2 million-strong army for war, indicating the threats are partly intended for domestic consumption to bolster young leader Kim Jong-un.
South Korean media said on Friday the North had moved two medium-range missiles to its east coast, but there has been no confirmation of such a move. Washington has said it would not be surprised if the North conducted another missile test.
North Korean authorities have told diplomatic missions in Pyongyang they could not guarantee their safety from Wednesday - after saying conflict was inevitable amid joint U.S.-South Korean military exercises due to last until the end of the month. Staff at embassies appeared to be remaining in place over the weekend.
South Korea said it was ready for any kind of action - including a possible missile launch - by Wednesday.
Analysts are also looking ahead to April 15, the birthday of the late Kim Il-sung, North Korea's founder and the grandfather of its current leader. The anniversary is a time of mass celebrations and occasional demonstrations of military prowess.
CHINA SAYS WON'T ALLOW TROUBLE-MAKING
China, North Korea's sole financial and diplomatic backer, has shown growing irritation with Pyongyang.
Beijing negotiated the new U.N. sanctions with Washington and has said it wanted them implemented. The measures tighten financial curbs on North Korea, order mandatory checks of suspicious cargo and strengthen a ban on luxury goods entering the country.
"We oppose provocative words and actions from any party in the region and do not allow trouble-making on China's doorstep," Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said, according to a ministry statement on its website late on Saturday, relating a telephone conversation with U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
On Sunday, the ministry expressed "grave concern" at rising tension and said China had asked North Korea to "ensure the safety of Chinese diplomats in North Korea, in accordance with the Vienna Convention and international laws and norms".
No expert on North Korea has suggested China would abandon Kim or even implement the new sanctions to the letter, but China appears to have run out of patience after years of trying to coax Pyongyang out of isolation and to embrace economic reform.
China's new leaders, including Xi, do not have the emotional ties to North Korea that their predecessors had.
The 30-year old Kim has also failed to pay fealty to China as his father, Kim Jong-il, and his grandfather did, according to North Korean experts. He has not visited China since taking over when his father died at the end of 2011.
U.S. LAWMAKERS SAY CHINA HAS NOT DONE ENOUGH
U.S. politicians said China should do more.
Republican Senator John McCain, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, criticized China's "failure to rein in what could be a catastrophic situation" and said Beijing could step up pressure by using its influence over North Korea's economy.
"Chinese behaviour has been very disappointing," McCain said on CBS's "Face the Nation" program.
"More than once, wars have started by accident and this is a very serious situation," he added.
The United States said it was postponing a missile test to help calm high tension on the Korean peninsula.
In Washington, a defence official said a long-scheduled test of the Minuteman III intercontinental missile, due to take place at the Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, would be postponed.
"This test ... has been delayed to avoid any misperception or miscalculation in light of recent tensions on the Korean peninsula," the official said on Saturday.
The South Korean president's office said the country had a "firm military readiness" for any eventuality.
It described as "planned behaviour" the North's call for South Korean workers to leave the Kaesong joint industrial park, just inside North Korea, and for diplomats to evacuate Pyongyang by Wednesday. Pyongyang has blocked entry to the factory park since last Wednesday, jeopardizing one of its few sources of hard currency.
The North has always condemned the annual joint military exercises off the South Korean coast, but its rhetoric has been especially furious this year as the United States sent nuclear-capable stealth bombers from their home bases.
North Korean state television showed a military training session, with soldiers putting dogs through their paces, including one seen tearing to pieces an effigy of South Korean Defence Minister Kim Kwan-jin. Soldiers were shown firing at pictures of the minister and a depiction of a U.S. serviceman.
"As you all know, on the Korean peninsula, it is not a matter of whether we will have a war or not, but whether it will take place today or tomorrow," an unidentified soldier said.
(Writing by Dean Yates; Additional reporting by Koh Gui Qing in Hainan and Phil Stewart, David Morgan, Aruna Viswanatha and Mark Felsenthal in Washington; Editing by Mark Bendeich)
Unread 2013-04-07, 10:04 PM   #195
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

North Korea threat
North Korea, which has missiles capable of hitting U.S. territories in the Pacific and possibly mainland USA, has ordered its rocket and long-range artillery units to be combat ready after joint military drills by U.S. and South Korean forces. A look at the Koreas and the military presence and threat:

Unread 2013-04-08, 07:19 AM   #196
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

NK has pulled out of the joint industrial complex that it was blocking the South from.

Quote:
North Korea said Monday that it would pull out all its workers and temporarily suspend operations at the industrial complex it jointly operates with the South, the latest sign of deteriorating relations on the Korean Peninsula.

The North said it would also consider permanently closing down the Kaesong Industrial Complex, a shared manufacturing zone that is the last major symbol of cooperation between the two countries.

In a statement carried by the official North Korean news agency, Kim Yang Gon, secretary of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea, accused the South of seeking "to turn the zone into a hotbed of war" against the North.

Pyongyang was already preventing South Korean workers and managers from entering the complex, which sits on the North's side of the militarily fortified border, and threatened to shut it down entirely amid its recent stream of verbal broadsides against Seoul and Washington.

Unread 2013-04-08, 08:52 AM   #197
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 267
Thanks (Received): 319
Likes (Given): 1963
Likes (Received): 2502
Dislikes (Given): 40
Dislikes (Received): 51

is shit gonna hit the fan? If so, what are they waiting for?
uprrman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-08, 08:53 AM   #198
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by uprrman23 View Post
is shit gonna hit the fan? If so, what are they waiting for?
hard to say, they think he's going to do another test this week and Foal Eagle is still going on
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-08, 09:16 PM   #199
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Obama: Keep Out of North Korea

Kim Jong-un may be threatening to blow the U.S. into oblivion, but the best way to bring an end to the Hermit Kingdom is to keep American soldiers far, far away.

Ever since the Cold War’s end, the government of the United States has done its best to pretend that the government of North Korea does not exist. And again and again, Pyongyang’s leaders have reminded Washington that, unfortunately, it does. The most recent reminder came in February, when North Korea conducted its third nuclear test. Since then, leader Kim Jong-un has scrapped his country’s 1953 armistice with South Korea and threatened the United States so graphically that even Fidel Castro has pleaded with his Marxist brethren not to blow up the planet. The Obama administration, for its part, has sent warplanes and ships to the region, called for economic pressure, and pursued diplomacy—all of which stand a decent chance of defusing the current row and virtually no chance of ensuring that such rows do not return whenever the North Korean regime so chooses.

On April 8 a South Korean military vehicle passes by gates leading to the North Korean city of Kaesong at the customs, immigration, and quarantine office near the border village of Panmunjom, which has separated the two Koreas since the Korean War. (Lee Jin-man/AP)
The bald truth is this: the relationship between the United States and North Korea will not fundamentally change until North Korea fundamentally changes. And once North Korea fundamentally changes and its Stalinist regime begins to cede power, reform will probably spiral into revolution, revolution will spur unification with the South, and in all likelihood, North Korea will cease to exist. Thank God.

All of which means that while the Obama administration is focused right now on preventing nuclear Armageddon, its broader North Korea strategy must be to do whatever it can, short of war, to hasten North Korea’s end. And the best way to do that would be to pledge formally that America will never station troops on what is now North Korean soil.

Here’s why. The only country with any influence over North Korea is China, which since the collapse of the Soviet bloc has been Pyongyang’s only important ally. According to the Council on Foreign Relations, China provides 90 percent of North Korea’s energy and 80 percent of its consumer goods and ensures that its military stays fed. China is clearly frustrated with its destitute, bellicose neighbor. In February, The New York Times reported that Chinese public opinion has turned against the North. That same month, an influential Communist Party editor argued that “China should consider abandoning North Korea” and “take the initiative to facilitate North Korea’s unification with South Korea.” In 2010, according to a WikiLeaks cable, South Korea’s vice foreign minister claimed that the Chinese leaders were increasingly sympathetic to a South Korean–led reunification of the peninsula.

But despite these hints of a potential shift in policy, Beijing keeps propping up Pyongyang. According to a February article in Foreign Policy by Fudan University’s Shen Dingli, there are three main reasons. The first is that China fears North Korea’s implosion could send tens or even hundreds of thousands of refugees fleeing across the two countries’ 800-mile-long border. The second is that North Korea’s collapse might prompt the millions of ethnic Koreans living on the Chinese side of the border to try to secede and join their kinsmen in a reunified Korea. The third is that if America’s ally South Korea swallows its northern twin, China could suddenly find itself with the U.S. military on its southeastern border.

There’s little the Obama administration can do to allay Beijing’s first two fears. But it can do a lot to allay the third. To realize how seriously China has historically taken the danger of U.S. troops in North Korea, one need only remember that when Douglas MacArthur’s men crossed the 38th parallel in October 1950, Mao Zedong and Zhou Enlai sent 200,000 Chinese troops to repel them. Sure, Sino-American relations have improved since then. But Beijing has watched unhappily in recent years as the United States “pivots” toward a containment strategy in which it bolsters military relations with as many of China’s neighbors as possible. Nor is it likely lost on China’s leaders that when Germany reunified in 1990, NATO troops soon deployed onto former East German soil.

North Korean soldiers patrol April 4 along the bank of the Yalu River in Sinuiju, North Korea, across from Dandong, China. (STR/AFP/Getty)
The more the U.S. assuages China’s concerns about a reunified Korea, the more likely a reunified Korea becomes.
Like the Soviet Union, which after World War II controlled Eastern Europe in order to guard against the threat of another invasion from the West, China has long desired what a 2008 United States Institute of Peace report called “a buffer zone” along its border. The best way to convince China’s leaders to cut North Korea loose is to reassure them that North Korea’s collapse won’t mean the end of that buffer zone, because it won’t mean American troops north of the 38th parallel.

That kind of reassurance isn’t simple. (Especially because Russian leaders believe that George H.W. Bush and James Baker reneged on promises not to expand NATO into Eastern Europe in 1990.) But the point is that the more the U.S. assuages China’s concerns about a reunified Korea, the more likely a reunified Korea becomes. Perhaps the best precedent is the way Ronald Reagan—who in his second term was the most dovish president of the Cold War, by far (if you disagree, read this)—dramatically reduced tensions with Mikhail Gorbachev and thus made it easier for the Soviet leader to loosen his grip on Eastern Europe.

The year 2013 isn’t 1987. In all likelihood, America and China will remain rivals, but preventing that rivalry from descending into cold war is crucial to toppling the most evil regime on the planet and sparing the world any more of its disgraceful nuclear bluster. Which would be nice right about now.
Unread 2013-04-09, 08:09 AM   #200
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

North Korea warns foreigners to evacuate the South

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...ate-the-south/

SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA North Korea is urging all foreign companies and tourists in South Korea to evacuate or find out where they can take shelter because it says the rival Koreas are on the eve of a nuclear war. The new threat appeared to be an attempt to keep the region on tenterhooks over its intentions.

Analysts see a direct attack on Seoul as extremely unlikely, and there are no overt signs that North Korea's 1.2 million-man army is readying for war, let alone a nuclear one.

The U.S. embassy in Seoul tells CBS News its security status is unchanged, despite Tuesday's warning. It says it's not telling Americans to evacuate, and Secretary of State John Kerry is still scheduled to visit Friday, reports CBS News correspondent Margaret Brennan.

Still, North Korea's earlier warning that it won't be able to guarantee the safety of foreign diplomats after April 10 has raised fears that it will conduct a missile or nuclear test on Wednesday, resulting in U.S. retaliation. South Korea's military has reported missile movements on North Korea's east coast but nothing pointed toward South Korea.

But, as Brennan reports, North Korea has not filed the customary Notice to Airmen - a procedure it usually takes before a test - leading to further uncertainty about whether they will follow through on their threats.

North Korea closing only business partnership with South

Pyongyang draws criticism from key allies

S. Korea warns about potential N. Korea missile attack

The United States and South Korea have raised their defense postures, and so has Japan, which deployed PAC-3 missile interceptors in key locations around Tokyo on Tuesday as a precaution against possible North Korean ballistic missile tests.

"The situation on the Korean Peninsula is inching close to a thermonuclear war due to the evermore undisguised hostile actions of the United States and the south Korean puppet warmongers and their moves for a war against" the North, said a statement by the North Korean Asia-Pacific Peace Committee, an organization that deals with regional matters.

The statement is similar to past threats that analysts call an attempt to raise anxiety in foreign capitals. Observers say a torrent of North Korean prophecies of doom and efforts to raise war hysteria are partly to boost the image of young and relatively untested leader Kim Jong Un at home, and to show him as a decisive military leader.

Another reason could be to use threats of war to win Pyongyang-friendly policy changes in Seoul and Washington.

Also Tuesday, a factory complex that is North Korea's last major economic link with the South was a virtual ghost town after Pyongyang suspended its operations and recalled all 53,000 of its workers in more of its recent war-like posturing.

The work stoppage at the Kaesong industrial complex, the biggest employer in the North's third-biggest city and a source of much-needed hard currency, shows that Pyongyang is willing to hurt its own shaky economy in order to display its anger with South Korea and the United States.

Play VIDEO

Nuclear threats against the U.S.

Only a few hundred South Korean managers remained at the facility, which has been run for the past decade with cheap North Korean labor and South Korean capital and know-how. The managers have not been forced to leave the complex, located just north of the Demilitarized Zone.

One manager said he and his colleagues are subsisting on instant noodles but planned to stay and watch over company equipment as long as their food lasted. Some of those who chose to leave were seen departing in cars overloaded with finished products.

The Kaesong complex is the last symbol of inter-Korean rapprochement projects from previous eras of cooperation. Other projects, such as reunions of families separated by war and tours of a scenic North Korean mountain stopped in recent years.

Tourists continued to arrive in Pyongyang despite the war hysteria.

Mark Fahey of Sydney, Australia, said he was not concerned about a possible war.

"I knew that when I arrived here it would probably be very different to the way it was being reported in the media," he told The Associated Press at Pyongyang airport. He said his family trusts him to make the right judgment but "my colleagues at work think I am crazy."

Chu Kang Jin, a Pyongyang resident, said everything is calm in the city.

Play VIDEO

Amid, N. Korea threats, U.S. missile defense system on alert

"Everyone, including me, is determined to turn out as one to fight for national reunification ... if the enemies spark a war," he said, in a typically nationalist rhetoric that most North Koreans use while speaking to the media.

In Seoul, Presidential spokeswoman Kim Haing told reporters that the North Korean warning amounted to "psychological warfare."

31 PHOTOS

Who is Kim Jong Un?

"We know that foreigners residing in South Korea as well as our nationals are unfazed," she said.

South Korean President Park Geun-hye, who has sought to re-engage North Korea with dialogue and aid since taking office in February, expressed exasperation Tuesday with what she called the "endless vicious cycle" of Seoul answering Pyongyang's hostile behavior with compromise, only to get more hostility.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday described the tensions as "very dangerous," and said that any small incident caused by miscalculation may "create an uncontrollable

Tags
north korea