Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Politics, Religion, Current Events

Unread 2017-11-27, 10:09 AM   #1
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 254
Likes (Given): 2538
Likes (Received): 1704
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47
Default Off-duty officer shoots, kills man who brandished gun at Lenexa Costco

Quote:
Off-duty officer shoots, kills man who brandished gun at Lenexa Costco
Updated: Nov 27, 2017 8:22 AM CST
By Zoe Brown, Digital Producer

LENEXA, KS (KCTV) - An off-duty police officer shot and killed a man who brandished a gun inside a Costco Wholesale store on Sunday.

Police got a call about 11 a.m. about a man who was brandishing a firearm at the store. Witnesses said that the man was yelling and pointing a gun.

When officers arrived, they found that the man had been shot by someone inside the store and he was pronounced dead.

They then learned that an off-duty police officer, who was shopping there, engaged the man inside the store and fatally shot him.

On Sunday evening, Kansas City, KS police confirmed it was one of their officers who shot the man.

No one else was hurt.

Police said at this time, they could not describe the suspect. However, they said they have a preliminary identification. Witnesses told KCTV5 he was a tall, older man. Police said they are not looking for any other suspects.

"I don't know what his intent was, but before anything really bad could happen, he was stopped," said Captain Wade Borchers with the Lenexa Police Department.

At last check, police could not confirm whether the man shot his firearm.

There was a large police presence at the store on 9350 Marshall Drive for several hours as Lenexa police officers and authorities from surrounding agencies investigated. Overland Park, Olathe, Shawnee, and Mission Hills police were among those who responded to assist.

The Johnson County Officer-Involved Shooting Team is handling the investigation.

Witnesses said they were evacuated out of the building around the time of the incident. The store was rather full, as is typical for a Sunday afternoon.

Some witnesses told KCTV5 what the situation was like:

"You could hear from the front of the store," one woman said. "A bunch of people were yelling, 'Everybody get down! Everybody get to the back of the store!'"

"We just kind of ran through the neighborhoods to see how far away we could get from the building," she said. "I just really hope and pray that things get better across the country."

Miguel Robles, a Costco employee, said, "I saw a gentleman standing at the door yelling at everybody. It looked like a .45 revolver in his hand. I just turned around and I started clearing people away from the door and pushing people away. I saw kids and told everybody to grab their kids and keep going, keep going, keep going."

Costco employee Ryan Vacca said, "It was this weird moment for me where I could hear and sense a lot of commotion going on, but it wasn't really registering with me. I was just kind of watching it ensue." Vacca said the man was "yelling something about the fire marshal and the doors. It sounded like gibberish."

Bill Payne was shopping with his friend when the incident happened. He said, "I was looking at the TVs and somebody hollered, 'Man coming in with a gun!' We ran towards the back and out the side door," he said, "and when I got to the back, I counted 8 shots. It's scary."

Police shut down the area and customers were forced to leave their cars in the parking lot as officers investigated the shooting. Those vehicles were later able to be picked up.

Employees have returned to the store, which is expected to reopen on Monday.
Anyone else see this? I live only a couple miles from this Costco.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 10:42 AM   #2
Lazarus

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 26
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

I have a friend who was there and posted about it on FB just after it happened.

Can't we all just get along.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 01:12 PM   #3
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 194
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1346
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
Anyone else see this? I live only a couple miles from this Costco.
I didn't hear about it until this morning. It wasn't reported because the crazy dude was killed by a legal gun owner and wasn't able to commit a mass killing which assuredly would have been reported along with a call to ban all guns.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes torqueburner liked this post
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 01:28 PM   #4
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
I didn't hear about it until this morning. It wasn't reported because the crazy dude was killed by a legal gun owner and wasn't able to commit a mass killing which assuredly would have been reported along with a call to ban all guns.
Yep... good guy with a gun stopped a potential mass murder... and it was in another "gun free zone"... wonder if Costco will revoke the cop's membership.

Glad everyone is safe... thank god the cop ignored their rules.
Ricerking13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 03:46 PM   #5
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 160
Thanks (Received): 115
Likes (Given): 395
Likes (Received): 632
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricerking13 View Post
Yep... good guy with a gun stopped a potential mass murder... and it was in another "gun free zone"... wonder if Costco will revoke the cop's membership.

Glad everyone is safe... thank god the cop ignored their rules.
https://www.costco.com/member-privil...onditions.html
Quote:
Costco policy prohibits firearms to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers.
but hey, you keep trying to focus on Costco's imaginary policies instead of the idea that its because of our ridiculous gun culture and gun laws that this situation happens all the time in the first place.

and yes, you've noticed that I've become more exasperated with this bullshit because I'm tired of pretending like its something that deserves legitimate discussion... other countries don't have to deal with this near weekly mass tragedy/near-miss shit. I refuse to concede that we are uniquely suited to be the most violent, homicidal people/society on Earth and therefore we must just deal with this like both sides have a valid argument to discuss. I'm sick of the only answer being that in order to live in America that I'm supposed to either arm myself or simply accept the risk that some random person might just start shooting wherever I go in public.
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 04:58 PM   #6
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 226
Dislikes (Given): 16
Dislikes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post

but hey, you keep trying to focus on Costco's imaginary policies instead of the idea that its because of our ridiculous gun culture and gun laws that this situation happens all the time in the first place.

and yes, you've noticed that I've become more exasperated with this bullshit because I'm tired of pretending like its something that deserves legitimate discussion... other countries don't have to deal with this near weekly mass tragedy/near-miss shit. I refuse to concede that we are uniquely suited to be the most violent, homicidal people/society on Earth and therefore we must just deal with this like both sides have a valid argument to discuss. I'm sick of the only answer being that in order to live in America that I'm supposed to either arm myself or simply accept the risk that some random person might just start shooting wherever I go in public.
Huh, Other countries don't deal with this?

Street & Racing Technology

Last edited by torqueburner; 2017-11-27 at 05:02 PM..
torqueburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 05:00 PM   #7
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Nice law enforcement carve-out in print... but they certainly don't ask that question... they just ask you to leave.

I agree I misspoke on that point... but the concept is the same.. stopping the law abiding from protecting themselves and others is crazy.

Texas shooting was ended by a good guy with a gun. After the government failed to do their job and block the guy from buying.

Get exasperated all you want, other countries have mass shootings/killings with and without gun control. Our homicide rate is not that different than comparing straight to the EU, last I checked like 3/100k them 4.8/100k us... we have parts of our country that are very much worth comparing to Mexico, Russia, and other shitty countries. So discounting those is not a fair comparison.

We use more drugs than any country in the world, we have massive wealth inequality, American exceptionalism IS a thing... why wouldn't we be more violent than many countries?

With all that said... same story as usual... I AM willing to have to worry about mass shootings, to protect my right to defense. Tell me what proposals you like... I've argued against all of them.

Chicago last year had more homicides than the entire UK. Tell me what you want done that's going to solve that kind of problem... guns aren't the issue, and by targeting them... you actually miss out on helping the real problems.
Unread 2017-11-27, 05:05 PM   #8
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like

We might be, but i don't want to dig through all the data. Are we even in the top 10 countries with the highest murder rates?

Unread 2017-11-27, 05:39 PM   #9
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueburner View Post
We might be, but i don't want to dig through all the data. Are we even in the top 10 countries with the highest murder rates?
Nope, not close. 94th out of 219 countries. 5th out of the OECD countries.

Great discussion here about US/Canada... and acknowledging what I've been saying forever, and some on the left are starting to finally hear. It's not guns... we have fixable social issues that can save lives.

https://mises.org/wire/theres-no-suc...-homicide-rate

Two clear charts
https://imgur.com/a/jUnIA
Unread 2017-11-27, 05:49 PM   #10
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 468
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 4006
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 124

Quote:

You're trying to rationalize with those who are irrational. They have allowed fear to overcome them to the point that their most prized personal possessions are weapons, and they fear leaving their own homes without the ability to defend themselves.

The statistics they throw out there even show they don't need their guns...statistically not necessary.

Fear is a strong motivator
jwdb1fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 05:53 PM   #11
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Gun culture...please explain what you mean exactly.

I'm just curious about your view on that, it's not intended to be a loaded question.

Unread 2017-11-27, 06:19 PM   #12
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
You're trying to rationalize with those who are irrational. They have allowed fear to overcome them to the point that their most prized personal possessions are weapons, and they fear leaving their own homes without the ability to defend themselves.

The statistics they throw out there even show they don't need their guns...statistically not necessary.

Fear is a strong motivator
Is fear what motivated you to get one for the wife to carry?
Or does she just carry when she walks?

Last edited by torqueburner; 2017-11-27 at 06:28 PM..
Unread 2017-11-27, 06:52 PM   #13
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 940
Thanks (Received): 340
Likes (Given): 6502
Likes (Received): 2774
Dislikes (Given): 133
Dislikes (Received): 137

Blm
mild83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 07:36 PM   #14
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 468
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 4006
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 124

Quote:
Is fear what motivated you to get one for the wife to carry?
Or does she just carry when she walks?

She hasn't taken in out of the box other than the day I gave it to her

The eight hour class is more of a worry than anything she feels she may encounter walking the trails
jwdb1fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 08:11 PM   #15
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 160
Thanks (Received): 115
Likes (Received): 632
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 36

Quote:
Gun culture...please explain what you mean exactly.
I'm just curious about your view on that, it's not intended to be a loaded question.
there are many examples but one in particular that I think reflects the ridiculousness of our gun culture is that when Trump said, on national TV, that maybe "the Second Amendment people" might just have a solution for the problem of Hillary being elected, the majority of the right and some on the left didn't bat an eye. he was rather specifically calling out people associated with our national gun culture to "handle" his opponent and rather than repudiate the comment, the NRA lobbied people to vote for him. all they would've had to do is statement that said they reject any implication that firearms be associated with removing rivals and that they took his comments to mean the same bullshit excuse his campaign made up after the fact... but no, the idea that someone would actually make them check to see if who they were selling firearms to had the legal right to own those firearms and the possibility that they wouldn't be able to buy a Barrett 50 cal were seemingly enough to make them swallow their humanity and hold their tongues.

the fetishists that have invaded the US gun culture and the NRA have turned it from a long, proud tradition of sporting and home defense to something fucking awful that refuses to concede any ground whatsoever to help protect others or even themselves. the idea that in KS all you need to have the right to brandish a concealed firearm is a pulse and a firearm and its considered normal is yet another sign of how fucked up US gun culture is.

go play Rambo or Dirty Harry or whatever other make-believe bullshit someone imagines themselves as (but refuses to admit they're basically playing with American girl dolls that can kill dozens of people around them) the fuck away from everyone else.

statistically I'm in just about as much danger from the wannabe "good guy with a gun" as I am from the person intentionally inflicting harm. there is a reason that the gun lobby specifically had their Congressional minions cut off funding gun violence and prevention research; owning a gun statistically puts you in significantly more danger for being a victim of gun violence, its extremely rare that guns are a positive outcome influencer for those that carry, etc.

I'll be one of the first to admit, shooting guns is fucking cool and fun. however, we've gotten to a place as a country where the hobby of some has been fetishized and transformed into absolutism that doesn't recognize basic statistical analysis and research as valuable and it values unfettered ownership over the increased danger that it poses to everyone else.
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-27, 11:03 PM   #16
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Man the irony of claiming my side is not recognizing stats and research. You are sipping the kool-aid way too hard brother.

Guns are up, crime is down.

The most recent mass shooting was stopped by a good guy with a gun, that went BAREFOOT to the attacker, and shot him with his own AR15. That shooter, passed a background check, because the government can't make the system work. I couldn't possibly design a better example of proof to what I've been saying.

Statistically, concealed carry permit holders commit crimes of all types at far less than the national average, and thousands of people a day, protect themselves or a loved one. Is it unlikey to happen? Sure... but there is nothing fetishized about wanting to be in charge of protecting you and your loved ones... when time after time in every city in the country, we know the police are there to do clean up.

EDIT: THIS DAMN THREAD is about a good guy protecting lives from a likely crazy person. Good thing that cop woke up that day and didn't have your insane ideas.
Unread 2017-11-28, 09:13 AM   #17
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Man the irony of claiming my side is not recognizing stats and research. You are sipping the kool-aid way too hard brother.

Guns are up, crime is down.

The most recent mass shooting was stopped by a good guy with a gun, that went BAREFOOT to the attacker, and shot him with his own AR15. That shooter, passed a background check, because the government can't make the system work. I couldn't possibly design a better example of proof to what I've been saying.

Statistically, concealed carry permit holders commit crimes of all types at far less than the national average, and thousands of people a day, protect themselves or a loved one. Is it unlikey to happen? Sure... but there is nothing fetishized about wanting to be in charge of protecting you and your loved ones... when time after time in every city in the country, we know the police are there to do clean up.

EDIT: THIS DAMN THREAD is about a good guy protecting lives from a likely crazy person. Good thing that cop woke up that day and didn't have your insane ideas.
Guns being up and crime is down is mere correlation, unless you can actually link those statistics in a cause-effect way.

Should the shooter not have passed the background check?

FWIW, I'm happy the officer was there and was able to stop the threat before anyone was hurt.
Unread 2017-11-28, 10:55 AM   #18
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Guns being up and crime is down is mere correlation, unless you can actually link those statistics in a cause-effect way.

Should the shooter not have passed the background check?

FWIW, I'm happy the officer was there and was able to stop the threat before anyone was hurt.
Nope, it's absolutely correlation. However, a lot of the proposed rules have to do with lowering the number of guns in circulation... which doesn't seem to be having an impact on crime.

Nope, the shooter was not turned over to the NICS (background check system) by the military. He was 100% a prohibited person, for two reasons.
Likes LTe liked this post
Unread 2017-11-28, 11:01 AM   #19
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Nope, it's absolutely correlation. However, a lot of the proposed rules have to do with lowering the number of guns in circulation... which doesn't seem to be having an impact on crime.

Nope, the shooter was not turned over to the NICS (background check system) by the military. He was 100% a prohibited person, for two reasons.
Is this the same shooting that the thread is about, or are we talking about the other dude that shot up the Church?
Unread 2017-11-28, 11:24 AM   #20
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Is this the same shooting that the thread is about, or are we talking about the other dude that shot up the Church?
Sorry, Church.

I don't know any details on this shooting so far.

The incident I was describing about the AR15 using, barefoot, good samaritan is the Church.
Unread 2017-11-28, 11:43 AM   #21
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Sorry, Church.

I don't know any details on this shooting so far.

The incident I was describing about the AR15 using, barefoot, good samaritan is the Church.
Got it, ya that sounded very familiar. For a second I thought it was both being similar instances and was like goddamn, military... get your shit together!
Unread 2017-11-28, 11:58 AM   #22
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Got it, ya that sounded very familiar. For a second I thought it was both being similar instances and was like goddamn, military... get your shit together!
Oh they are horrible... they've turned over exactly ONE case to NICS about domestic violence. 5 mental health. Insanity.

https://imgur.com/a/1Re4S