Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2016-03-15, 11:11 AM   #1
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 252
Likes (Received): 900
Dislikes (Given): 9
Dislikes (Received): 21
Default PlayStation Vue

Has anyone local started thier free trail for this? Essentially it's a cable substitute and it looks perfect for what I need. And will save about $120 off my ATT Uverse bill.

3 different channel packages are available with a couple separate channel add ons available as well. Runs on PS3/PS4, iOS and Amazon Fire as of right now. You can have 5 separate non PlayStation devices connected at once which will be perfect for my house (3 roommates). No extra fees like box fees, DVR fees, HD fees.

Anyone have any feedback?
Does anyone know if Fox Sports KC is included in the elite package?

I think I am going to pick up a Fire Stick and start my trail to see if I like it or not.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-15, 11:23 AM   #2
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 2009
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Has anyone local started thier free trail for this? Essentially it's a cable substitute and it looks perfect for what I need. And will save about $120 off my ATT Uverse bill.

3 different channel packages are available with a couple separate channel add ons available as well. Runs on PS3/PS4, iOS and Amazon Fire as of right now. You can have 5 separate non PlayStation devices connected at once which will be perfect for my house (3 roommates). No extra fees like box fees, DVR fees, HD fees.

Anyone have any feedback?
Does anyone know if Fox Sports KC is included in the elite package?

I think I am going to pick up a Fire Stick and start my trail to see if I like it or not.
Start reading.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...laystation+vue

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-15, 06:44 PM   #3
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

Well shit. Started my free trial and it doesn't have Fox Sports Midwest. So it's pretty much worthless to me. Fuck.
Unread 2016-03-16, 08:30 AM   #4
redlobster

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 321
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 29

I was interested till I saw it can't be used on a roku, which is what we have at our tv's.
redlobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 10:56 AM   #5
Pasty T-Bag

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 438
Likes (Received): 327
Dislikes (Given): 22
Dislikes (Received): 4

wow i didn't even know about this, ive been wanting to cancel my ATT tv cuz its 110 a month and i literally dont watch it at all, me and my gf usually watch either Netflix or PLEX, so im deff gonna give this a try

-2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD-
-2007 Chevy Trailblazer LT-
-2015 Yamaha FZ-07-
6+
Pasty T-Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-16, 11:28 AM   #6
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

The PlayStation Vue interface is very laggy on the fire stick. Hopefully they can push an update that fixes that.
Unread 2016-03-17, 10:05 AM   #7
roman.GSR

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 294
Likes (Received): 391
Dislikes (Given): 52
Dislikes (Received): 54

My contract with ATT ends in July.
I will more than likely switch to Vue-Slim and get antenna for live basic channels
Chevy Trailblazer- Snow mobile
roman.GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-17, 11:04 AM   #8
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

Talked to another customer service rep this morning. Said that Fox Sports Midwest will not be added until they can get the licensing figured out and switch the KC market to a full market (vs. a slim market). If that really is the case I will be cancelling at the end of my trial period and waiting for them to figure that out.
Unread 2016-03-24, 01:51 PM   #9
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 3422
Likes (Received): 1010
Dislikes (Given): 187
Dislikes (Received): 144

looks like a waste of money. I have gotten so used to not having cable that I don't miss all the bullshit out there anymore, discovery is nothing but bs reality, same with history channel and so on. All I really miss is ESPN sometimes but I'm not paying $30/month for that
Unread 2016-03-24, 03:12 PM   #10
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly all I need cable for is sports channels. This seems like a good cheap alternative as long as I can get all the sports channels I need. Still waiting for that though.
Unread 2016-03-26, 08:06 AM   #11
87supraT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 92
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

You guys should try SlingTV for sports. I haven't had cable for quite a while but wanted sports channels. So, I tried out sling on my Xbox One. It's laggy on the Xbox but is nice on my computer/tablet/phone. I signed up for the sports package that they had for $25/mo and I get all of the ESPN channels but ESPN3 along with a bunch of other channels I don't watch all to often. I just wish I could get the Golf Channel somehow!
Unread 2016-10-10, 01:29 PM   #12
Username:*
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 168
Likes (Given): 337
Likes (Received): 1003
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 10

Bumping an ancient thread.

My contract with DirecTV was up so I switched to this to give it a try. I have the $45/mo plan which comes with everything I'd want for cheaper than we paid through DirecTV. I can still record shows but they disappear after a couple of weeks. Searching for shows comes up with the same exact information on both so there's no difference in how it all comes up in the guides. The only thing about DirecTV that I miss is the picture quality and the fact that I could get CBS Sports through them (I don't think it's available on Vue). It's picture quality is not as nice with PS Vue, especially during live coverage of NFL games. I noticed on Sunday a lot of the games weren't even in HD. Given my internet speeds (300mb/s) I doubt it's an issue with bandwith on my end.

As I see it I'm saving money and I don't have a contract so I'm still completely okay with it. DirecTV tried locking us back in again but I was tired of calling in, they constantly fucked our bill up, and something was wrong with our dish as towards the end we'd lose signal if a freaking bee flew in front of the thing. They immediately wanted to tell me how much I'd be billed if someone came out and I just didn't care to deal with it anymore.
Username:* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-11-14, 03:30 PM   #13
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Another update now that I'm one month in:

The TV picture quality issue was with the PS4s shitty wifi. I activated the cable jack behind the TV (since it was no longer being used for DirecTV) and put the modem there so that the PS4 could be connected directly to it. Everything is HD all of the time now instead of in and out. It still doesn't look that amazing.

Not having Fox and NBC sucks. I'm missing out on a lot of football and it's annoying. I'm thinking of using my XB1 for local channels (over the air) and then the PS4 for cable.

If you don't watch an event live, it's pretty much pointless. I've yet to see the ending of a sports event I record or a Formula 1 race I watch. You can only save a show, not record it in the traditional sense, so you can't tell it to add time. I've noticed that sometimes they will add extra time on the end but it's never enough. This went from a "Oh that'll probably be pretty annoying" to "This really fucking sucks."

I can only speak to this on the PS4 since that's the only way I use it, but if my internet drops while I'm in the PS Vue app it bugs out once the internet comes back. It either straight up doesn't work, the "Internet connected, you're all set!" window gets stuck on, or it just errors over and over again until you give up. If it happens now I just restart the app immediately. Not a big deal but it randomly doesn't save the spot I'm at in something I'm watching and I'll have to start it all over again. Not a big deal unless what you're watching is 2-3 hours long. That's quite a few minutes of fast forwarding to get back to where you were.

The Viacom channels all dropped for some reason. I don't really watch them so it's whatever I guess.

All in all, it's losing it's luster. We're still using it because it's still worth it for the most part, but I'm paying extra for the sports shit that I never get to watch the ending for so that probably won't keep happening. It's sad that this is what you have to resort to when you hate contracts.
Unread 2016-11-14, 03:35 PM   #14
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 704
Likes (Received): 456
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username:* View Post
Another update now that I'm one month in:

The TV picture quality issue was with the PS4s shitty wifi. I activated the cable jack behind the TV (since it was no longer being used for DirecTV) and put the modem there so that the PS4 could be connected directly to it. Everything is HD all of the time now instead of in and out. It still doesn't look that amazing.

Not having Fox and NBC sucks. I'm missing out on a lot of football and it's annoying. I'm thinking of using my XB1 for local channels (over the air) and then the PS4 for cable.

If you don't watch an event live, it's pretty much pointless. I've yet to see the ending of a sports event I record or a Formula 1 race I watch. You can only save a show, not record it in the traditional sense, so you can't tell it to add time. I've noticed that sometimes they will add extra time on the end but it's never enough. This went from a "Oh that'll probably be pretty annoying" to "This really fucking sucks."

I can only speak to this on the PS4 since that's the only way I use it, but if my internet drops while I'm in the PS Vue app it bugs out once the internet comes back. It either straight up doesn't work, the "Internet connected, you're all set!" window gets stuck on, or it just errors over and over again until you give up. If it happens now I just restart the app immediately. Not a big deal but it randomly doesn't save the spot I'm at in something I'm watching and I'll have to start it all over again. Not a big deal unless what you're watching is 2-3 hours long. That's quite a few minutes of fast forwarding to get back to where you were.

The Viacom channels all dropped for some reason. I don't really watch them so it's whatever I guess.

All in all, it's losing it's luster. We're still using it because it's still worth it for the most part, but I'm paying extra for the sports shit that I never get to watch the ending for so that probably won't keep happening. It's sad that this is what you have to resort to when you hate contracts.
I use a OTA Antenna on my tv's and can get most of the football games just fine, give it a try. If there is a game I cant find that im wanting to watch i just stream it on the pc
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-11-14, 05:20 PM   #15
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

Im experiencing the same issues as you, but I use an antenna to get all my local channels.

I'm glad other people are having issues with internet dropping. I thought it was just my Fire Stick. It's really fucking annoying because it won't reconnect on its own. I have to restart my Fire Stick for it to work again. It doesn't make any sense because I will have a game streaming on my second TV and it will have no issues whatsoever.
Unread 2016-11-21, 03:42 PM   #16
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Im experiencing the same issues as you, but I use an antenna to get all my local channels.

I'm glad other people are having issues with internet dropping. I thought it was just my Fire Stick. It's really fucking annoying because it won't reconnect on its own. I have to restart my Fire Stick for it to work again. It doesn't make any sense because I will have a game streaming on my second TV and it will have no issues whatsoever.
It didn't do it (it being drop connection) a single time this weekend, which is a first. I'm hoping they fixed something behind the scenes as there hasn't been an app update on my PS4 from what I saw.
Unread 2016-11-30, 11:40 AM   #17
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

DirecTV Now is giving you a 4th gen Apple TV for free if you pre-pay for 3 months of their service at $35/mo so I'm taking a break from Vue to give Now a try. My early impressions are that I'll be back with PS Vue in 3 months, but if I'm paying for a no contract subscription I might as well take advantage of any deals that come up and this is a pretty decent deal.
Unread 2016-11-30, 12:07 PM   #18
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like

pondering directv now... $35 lifetime price for the $60 plan if you never cancel it.

not sure I'm down with paying more than $10 for such a service though. No OTA networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) with no word on when that might happen, no DVR, etc. I just feel like if you can't even lump in the shit I get for free with a coat hanger then it's not worth my money. I don't want yet another app to select from to watch programming.
Unread 2016-11-30, 12:38 PM   #19
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun y View Post
pondering directv now... $35 lifetime price for the $60 plan if you never cancel it.

not sure I'm down with paying more than $10 for such a service though. No OTA networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) with no word on when that might happen, no DVR, etc. I just feel like if you can't even lump in the shit I get for free with a coat hanger then it's not worth my money. I don't want yet another app to select from to watch programming.
Pausing and DVR are (supposedly) coming in 2017. The cloud DVR gives PS Vue a HUGE 1 up on DirecTV Now right now IMO. That and the ability to use it on more devices. I guess the Apple TV doesn't even have an app for it right now. Derp.

My biggest gripe is plenty of areas get Fox Sports MidWest, but not here in KC. That blows.

I will see where they're at in 2017. I don't like DirecTV as a company so I already feel dirty using this. If they weren't doing the Apple TV promo I wouldn't be trying the service out.
Unread 2016-11-30, 03:11 PM   #20
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

The DirecTV Now interface looks much cleaner and smoother. But I need to have 4-5 devices running this at the same time, not just 2. And I also need DVR. Tough decision. Intro price is really good too.
Unread 2016-11-30, 03:27 PM   #21
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like

Is DVR needed if they have on-demand? Or is on-demand not for the newest shows?
Unread 2016-11-30, 04:26 PM   #22
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Not everything is on demand and DirecTV Now doesn't have sign ins through a lot of apps that have on demand shows.

Strangely enough the thread on Slickdeals has an amazing amount of information about this program because so many people are trying it.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9462023-sta...x-extra-5-each

I did mean to update on picture quality with PS Vue. I started watching football OTA and my god the difference in quality is mind-blowing. PS Vue streams in HD but looks like garbage compared to OTA. The colors, the motion, everything is so unbelievably better OTA compared to PS Vue.
Unread 2016-11-30, 04:41 PM   #23
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like

OTA is really better than anything though. No compression
Unread 2016-11-30, 05:11 PM   #24
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun y View Post
OTA is really better than anything though. No compression
Absolutely, but to the degree it is when watched over PS Vue was pretty alarming.
Unread 2019-10-29, 08:41 PM   #25
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Sony's PlayStation Vue to Shut Down in 2020

Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced that its streaming service, PlayStation Vue, will officially be shutting down on Jan. 30, 2020.

News of the service's closing came directly from SIE Deputy President John Kodera on the PlayStation Blog. Along with the closing of PS Vue, Kodera provided a few words of reasoning behind the decision, writing, "Today we are announcing that we will shut down the PlayStation Vue service on January 30, 2020. Unfortunately, the highly competitive Pay TV industry, with expensive content and network deals, has been slower to change than we expected. Because of this, we have decided to remain focused on our core gaming business."

Kodera went on to state that current PS Vue subscribers who want to continue watching movies and TV on their PlayStation 4 are still able to do so through third-party applications and the PlayStation Store.

PlayStation Vue made its debut in spring 2015 and was created to compete with other streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu. The service differentiated itself from its competition by offering live TV channels on top of its own on-demand content. Aside from the end of PS Vue, Sony has been making headlines recently with the official confirmation of its next-generation console, the PlayStation 5.

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote