Mcguireae

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 7
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 5

I am always looking for investors also my uncle and I are part of an investment club depending on amount invested but I only invested 5k and have made around 600.00 I can get you the info if your intrested.
Mcguireae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-01-27, 08:30 AM   #52
dtheo

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 5
Dislikes (Received): 3

That 50k, could possibly be 2 duplex rental properties (the 20% down). Get a 15-yr term loan on it, and think of it as a long term investment strategy. Tax right-off, let someone else build its equity. Very doable, good luck.
Unread 2013-01-27, 11:01 AM   #53
Roman

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcguireae View Post
I am always looking for investors also my uncle and I are part of an investment club depending on amount invested but I only invested 5k and have made around 600.00 I can get you the info if your intrested.
Interested I am.
Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-01-27, 12:51 PM   #54
Eyem

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also interested in learning anything about investing

I'm probably in the same boat as Roman, I'm 27. I put $12k into the stock market and make reliably $500+ a month off it, but I'm not interested in putting more into it while I'm still learning the ropes, hearing how the market have it's ups and downs.

I plan on getting my masters later so $35k is put away for that, leaving me about $15k to invest with.

That lending club seems interesting, wondering if anyone here has time in the morning for me to pop by their house and see it work?

mostly, I want to invest to generate retirement cash since my current bills are all paid for with what I earn with my job. I've thought about rental property, I'm interested in the concept, but not in practicality. I can't do any home repair past calling someone else so that eats up cost :S

Last edited by Eyem; 2013-01-27 at 12:56 PM..
Eyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-01-27, 01:22 PM   #55
Roman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyem View Post
I put $12k into the stock market and make reliably $500+ a month off it
Whats your strategy if you dont mind me asking? 50% a year is a hell of a return.
Unread 2013-01-27, 01:36 PM   #56
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 949
Thanks (Received): 344
Likes (Given): 6655
Likes (Received): 2826
Dislikes (Given): 135
Dislikes (Received): 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Whats your strategy if you dont mind me asking? 50% a year is a hell of a return.
+1
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-01-27, 01:44 PM   #57
Eyem

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about my strategy really, I've only been doing it for a few months :S so it isn't exactly set

But I just find about a few stocks then put $2-4k into it and sell once they make about $100-200. I know it is a quick turn around and I could do better holding longer... but I know I can do worse holding out for a higher return. I rather lock in a return then miss out on it because I was hoping big. Anyways Doing this I buy about 5-7 companies a month and by end of month, they normally get me $100 each, that's how I get the $500+ a month so far. I know I won't be able to pay the 15% capital gains tax since I don't hold it for over a year, but I make so little right now that what I've earned puts me in a low-ish tax bracket to begin with anyways.

I don't know if this is the best way but so far it's worked for me :S I'm not a financial person/know anything about it. I've been trying to find some local people to get together to learn from but working 6 nights a week, I don't have much time except in morning and that doesn't fit the "banker" hours but it does let me stay up for part of the stock market hours to watch it from home.

edit again: also if a company I've bought before seems to be on a good trend, I don't feel bad buying them again the next time around. Sure I could have made more if I had kept them but again, I could have lost money too. Example this past few weeks was I bought Smith and Wesson stock, then the shooting happened and it dropped a lot, instead of selling I bought more and then it spiked up during the gun frenzy and I sold them off. I'm keeping my eye on them again but it's been fairly flat. So I put my money in somewhere else.

I know this isn't a much of a strategy more than trying to buy low then selling high. I just figure out how much of a % increase the company needs so I can make my $100-200 then look and see if it feels likely to happen in the next month, if so I buy it up. So far from my amateur watching, it looks like EVERY company drops at some point during the week so those are the buy points I look for. I haven't found a company that always goes up every single day.

edit: the only problem that I can see is that I re-invest my earnings so if the entire market crashes again, I could lose it all. I haven't felt the need to take any of the earnings out to spend since I work a normal job that pays the bills.

edit: just thought I'd throw it out, but if there's some kind of get together in KC to talk about stocks, I'd be interested in meeting up since I've thirsty for any tips on doing better. I assume I'm doing fairly well for myself but my job doesn't get increases/bonuses/pay well so I've been trying to find ways to make extra money for retirement, as far away as it is. I put my 12% into the 401k , company match is shit but it's still a match (pennies on the dollar for 6%)... (can't afford to put in more). I don't have a IRA because I'm doing well enough in the stock market that I can't see how an IRA could do better. But I don't understand it much. People tell me to get a roth IRA, but if I'm going to pay taxes now, my logic is why shouldn't I just pay taxes on earnings now as well and then use leftover to earn more or put away (hence I use stock market)

edit: lots of edits I know but don't want to double post. My goal is to eventually get enough money to be able to get the buying and selling into a revolving loop, where my first sale will wait the next week for settlement, and the next sale will happen that week. But the stock market isn't cooperating with me and I end up selling most of them in the same week, then I'm left waiting a good part of the next for it to settle.

Last edited by Eyem; 2013-01-27 at 02:28 PM..
Unread 2013-01-27, 03:22 PM   #58
Roman

Post Thanks / Like

What website/agency/method are you using for your stock transactions? Is there alof of fees involved?
Unread 2013-01-27, 03:52 PM   #59
Eyem

Post Thanks / Like

I use scottrader, there's a $14 fee, well $7 to buy then $7 to sell, that's why I go with the 2-4k mark, so it brings the fee to under 1% of the amount I'm buying with.

Other sites have lower fees, but there is a scottrader about 15 minutes from me and I prefer having a real location to use, instead of an online only one
Unread 2013-01-27, 05:35 PM   #60
Roman

Post Thanks / Like

How do you determine which company's stock to get?
Unread 2013-01-27, 05:36 PM   #61
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Lol
Unread 2013-01-27, 08:24 PM   #62
jasman18

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 247
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 19

Best thing that can happen is if you lose a lot of capital. It will teach you how to value companies before throwing darts. (fundamental analysis vs technical analysis)
You need to learn about options (insurance)
Anyone can make money is a bull market.

Don't worry everyone started somewhere. some people just pay a lot more for the "experience"
jasman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-01-27, 08:40 PM   #63
Eyem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
How do you determine which company's stock to get?
magic eight ball? Sorry, I really can't explain this one, I normally find ones between $5-30, that has a upward trend for a while :S then I research it to see if there's any news on it, or the sector, then go with a gut feeling on if I want to buy it.

This part I haven't really nailed down yet, but the ones that I generally buy have already hit their lows and are recovering, I assume this because they are closer to their 52 week low than their high but have been growing for past 6 months or more. But sometimes I buy even if they are not near their lows... Mainly, I just go with what looks good to me, like I said, I don't have any background in any of this, and I've only just started this last summer.

The reason I don't buy higher than $30 is that I can't get enough stocks to make the $100 quick enough for my liking. Like I bought Ecolab at about $70, before, and while I made money on it, it took a while because I had to wait for it to go up about $2. Example, right now ECL is at $73.44, I can buy 54 stocks for $4000, to make $100 it has to go to $75.56. Now looking back 6 months, Ecolab hasn't hit that mark yet so I have no reason to think it'll hit it anytime soon but I know it'll eventually get there so if I'm patient I might buy it (I'm not though), plus if you hold it long enough, a dividend pays out too, so it's up to you.

My main thing right now is that I have a lot of watchlists with companies (about top 5 earners and losers from last few months) from each sector, and I just see which one seems to be doing well, plus what I feel about the timing. Such as for the fall/winter I've been buying some oil stocks because of the cold weather seems to bump up the price. Yes I know oil isn't growing a lot, but for $100, it only has to go up about $2 so it isn't very much. On the other hand, I also "lose" $100-200 since stock drops, but I just hold onto it then since I know oil will more than likely recover. If not, they pay out a dividend too so If I end up with it for a few months, I'd get some of the loss back.

My main goal is "investing" long term in a company, but end up selling it at $100 so it isn't long term. But since I picked it out for long term in mind, if I end up holding it for longer than that, I still end up with a "win" in my book because I've picked up a stock that I decided is a good investment (now what I decide might be up for question, but to me it's my decision).

@jasmin, I've thought about options, but I don't understand it :S and I don't think I have enough money to make much gains. I know I don't have much "experience" so I haven't put more than the 12k in yet so worst case, that's all I'd lose + what I've earned. So far however, I haven't lost any money on any of my stocks. I've had to sell some for a $1 profit, but it was still a net gain however small it is, and it's still better than what I would have got letting it sit in bank for interest.

edit: one thing that I haven't quite figured out is the bull/bear terms... I get that bear means market is "hibernating" or in other words, not gaining. A bull market is one that is active from my understanding. I just can't tell if this is a bull market or not, as jasmin said above :S I just know that regardless of it being a bull/bear, stocks will keep moving around, I just have to learn what/where it is being moved. So a bull market, everything goes up(?) and it's easier to find ones to buy, but things still go up/down in a bear market (from what I can tell), so it's harder to pick the right ones.

edit: I did find a few with a high-ish dividend payout (10-14%), the stock price is fairly stable too so I have a few in them when I'm out of companies that look good to me. This way I can wait for the stock to go up, or wait for the dividend payment. At 10%, it's about the same return as the lendingclub that was mentioned, I just don't know how quick the lendingclub investments turn over though. But I can always sell the dividend stock, hopefully higher than what I bought for, and get my initial money back plus all the dividends.

edit: just thought to post this, and this isn't based on much either, but for the companies that I follow, for some reason or another they more or less seem to drop on Fridays. Not every one of them, and not every Friday, but I see more red on my watchlists on Fridays than I do other days. This isn't about any single company, but say on a list of 20 companies, more will be in red than other days of the week, different companies each day. But because of this, I generally make Friday the day I buy/or look into buying. I can't explain this so this isn't a very good "tip" for anyone but myself, just putting it out there. Maybe one of you will be able to say why I see this :S

Last edited by Eyem; 2013-01-27 at 09:28 PM..
Unread 2013-02-01, 08:20 PM   #64
Roman

Post Thanks / Like

Is this right?

Unread 2013-02-01, 08:23 PM   #65
ctprelude

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 166
Dislikes (Received): 9

Quote:
Is this right?

Typically, yes that is a good generalization. Obviously once you get into individual companies it's possible for a lot of different things to effect the price.
Unread 2013-02-02, 05:52 PM   #66
so.DOPE

Location: From a 70 mph roll, 2 red tail lights radically morph to one...
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 178
Likes (Received): 608
Dislikes (Given): 43
Dislikes (Received): 45

Quote:
Is this right?

This is correct minus Government Bonds not carrying the least risk. Government Bonds carry the least risk at all times typically. There is more fluctuation in cash equivalents than in govt. bonds, granted because of the fluctuation cash equivalents may dip below govt. thresholds at times; it's a rarity.

Last edited by so.DOPE; 2013-02-02 at 05:54 PM..
so.DOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-02-02, 06:07 PM   #67
Roman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by so.DOPE View Post
This is correct minus Government Bonds not carrying the least risk. Government Bonds carry the least risk at all times typically. There is more fluctuation in cash equivalents than in govt. bonds, granted because of the fluctuation cash equivalents may dip below govt. thresholds at times; it's a rarity.
How do government bonds work in a nutshell? Do you have to keep them for a while? Thanks
Unread 2013-02-02, 07:57 PM   #68
Prolific

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 446
Thanks (Received): 103
Likes (Given): 3806
Likes (Received): 841
Dislikes (Given): 110
Dislikes (Received): 22

Quote:
How do government bonds work in a nutshell? Do you have to keep them for a while? Thanks
Government bonds are bought for a certain amount, less than face value. After a certain amount of time, the "mature" to the value printed on them. Think of them as a $100 bill you buy for $50 then after 20 years they're worth the full amount.

I personally don't care for it as it's a super slow return.
1995 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy has a EK View Post
your just a dumb ass fuck this im done with these dumdasses!.
Prolific is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-02-02, 08:34 PM   #69
Roman

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any more places besides Citizens Bank and Quest CU who are offering decent high yield checking accounts?
Unread 2013-02-04, 03:58 PM   #70
Eyem

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about the checking accounts, there are money market accounts with interest rates around 1% online, like smartypig. Nowhere near are local credit unions which are about 1/3 of that or less :S. I like a local credit union for convenience though. I never really plan to "make" money off of interest from saving/checking/money market accounts. While I keep my rainy day fund in a money market since it has highest interest, I don't put it away for real earning since I want to keep it available for a rainy day.

Probably the highest rates will be online since they don't have to spend money on a real location. Drawback is you can't get your money as easily (outside of using ATMs), and no in person customer service... as bad as they are sometimes, over phone is worse.
Unread 2013-02-04, 04:38 PM   #71
Roman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyem View Post
Probably the highest rates will be online
Citizens bank is 1.3% for the first 25K.

Quest is 2% for the first 25K.
Unread 2013-02-04, 05:06 PM   #72
HiLandR
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 150
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 833
Likes (Received): 729
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege94 View Post
Silver has had a better profit margin than gold.
My thoughts as well!

You could also take say $10k and play it aggressively on the market. Sitting and watching silver fluctuate will drive you crazy, at least it would me. having some play cash can be a blast.
2007 Audi S4 - traded
2004 BMW 540i - sold
2001 C5 sprayed Corvette - sold
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Mantooth liked this post
HiLandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-02-09, 12:04 AM   #73
Ardica
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Default Investing 50K...

Investing money involves big risk. you need to classify its advantages and disadvantages.
Ardica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-07, 02:24 PM   #74
Roman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Citizens bank is 1.3% for the first 25K.

Quest is 2% for the first 25K.
Quest is now at about 1.3% as well.
Unread 2014-01-05, 07:51 PM   #75
Roman

Post Thanks / Like