Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Movies, Music, TV, Books

Unread 2018-07-19, 08:20 PM   #1
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
Default 'Stargirl' TV Series Announced for DC Universe

Today, fans got their first look at the Titans live-action series, and it looks like DC Universe has a lot more in store. During his panel at San Diego Comic-Con, Geoff Johns announced that he will be writing and producing a Stargirl live-action series, which is set to air on DC Universe. The series will be produced by Warner Bros. Television and Berlanti Productions.

Stargirl will follow high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore, who inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop villains from the past. The series will feature appearances and references to multiple members of the Justice Society of America, the group that Courtney is most often associated with in the comics. The series is described as "fun, exciting, and unpredictable", and inspired by Superman: The Movie and Wonder Woman.

"The show's about Courtney Whitmore, whose mom gets remarried to Pat Dugan, and they move to Blue Valley Nebraska," Johns revealed at the panel. "She learns that Pat Dugan used to be a member of the Justice Society of America, and so she steals her stepfather's stuff and goes for a joyride."

Courtney was originally created by Johns and Lee Moder, and was inspired by Johns' late sister of the same name. Stargirl first made her DC Comics debut in 1999's Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #1.

DC @DCComics

On his spotlight panel, @geoffjohns announces a new addition to @TheDCUniverse lineup: Stargirl, on a mission to bring back the legacy of the Justice Society! #DCSDCC
4:17 PM - Jul 19, 2018

This will be the latest live-action appearance for Stargirl, following roles on Smallville and Legends of Tomorrow. On the latter of those two shows, Courtney was last seen guarding King Arthur in his time period, after she was sent there to protect a portion of the Spear of Destiny.
This will mark the sixth original series for DC Universe, joining Titans, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, Harley Quinn, and Young Justice: Outsiders. The streaming service recently announced its initial subscription options, and is expected to roll out sometime this fall.

Are you excited to see Stargirl have her own television series? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-07-20, 08:32 AM   #2
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Geoff Johns Compares 'Stargirl' TV Series to 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' and 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'

Stargirl is officially the next DC Comics property to be headed to television, and it sounds like the series his drawing inspiration from quite a few places.

Geoff Johns, who will produce and write the upcoming live-action series, recently talked about the project in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. As he explained, Courtney Whitmore/Stargirl's journey will be a uniquely teenaged show, with plenty of DC Comics lore folded in.

"It’s cool; it’s going to take the Stars and STRIPE comic, the Justice Society comic, and merge it into one thing." John revealed. "And tonally, it’s Spider-Man: Homecoming and Buffy the Vampire Slayer along with the [comic] books. We’re bringing a lot of the legacy stuff into it, a lot of the stuff James Robinson did with the Justice Society. I love all of that, his JSA: The Golden Age series, launching the [1999 series] JSA… I’ve always wanted to do a series based on Stars and STRIPE, so it’s really exciting."

As Johns put it, the idea of setting a superhero television series entirely in high school will help set it apart, while creating some pretty fun storytelling possibilities.
"It’s a story about a combined family, and a young girl in school." Johns explained. "It takes place in high school; I don’t think we see a lot of superhero shows in high schools… I’m not sure there is another superhero show that takes place in high school; I love that, you know? There’s going to be good guys and bad guys. It’s going to be a lot of fun."
Stargirl will follow high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore, who inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop villains from the past. The series will feature appearances and references to multiple members of the Justice Society of America, the group that Courtney is most often associated with in the comics. The series is described as "fun, exciting, and unpredictable", and the approach to it is inspired by Superman: The Movie and Wonder Woman.

Courtney was originally created by Johns and Lee Moder, and was inspired by Johns' late sister of the same name. Stargirl first made her DC Comics debut in 1999's Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #1. And while the character has appeared in live-action on both Smallville and Legends of Tomorrow, Johns has put a lot of effort into bringing her into her own series.

"I’ve been wanting to do it for awhile, and the truth is, over the last few years as I’d been talking to Warners and DC about getting back to wanting to write and produce, this was something that was at the very top of my list." Johns added. "I’ve been working with Greg and Sarah over at Berlanti TV, and with Warner TV — I mean, I’ve been working with them for years. It’s been great. I get to work with my team at DC in a more creative way. It’s been in my head for awhile, and once I made the move at DC, it came together pretty quickly."

Unread 2018-08-15, 01:56 PM   #3
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Stargirl

Apparently, the show is looking for 18+-year-old actress of any ethnicity to play a 15-year-old incarnation of Courtney.
"An intelligent, compassionate and athletic young woman, Courtney is witty as well as an incredible kind individual who is living a perfect teenage life in Los Angeles, California. However, her life is completely changed when her mom gets married. Because of this, Courtney is forced to leave her life in L.A. behind as she moves to Blue Valley, Nebraska with Courtney’s mom’s new husband and his family. .... when she discovers that her stepdad used to be a superhero’s sidekick, Courtney takes it upon herself to “borrow” this superhero’s cosmic staff which leads to her becoming a surprising inspiration as she leads a brand new generation of superheroes!"

Unread 2018-09-20, 02:38 PM   #4
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

STARGIRL Will Be Played By Nickelodeon's BELLA AND THE BULLDOGS Actress Brec Bassinger

Reports are coming in that the upcoming DC Universe Stargirl series has found its Courtney Whitmore in the form of 19-year-old Bella and The Bulldogs actress Brec Bassinger. Find out more after the jump...

We have our Stargirl!

According to THR, 19-year-old Nickelodeon actress Brec Bassinger has signed on the play the lead role of Courtney Whitmore in the upcoming DC Universe superhero drama series, which focuses on a high-school sophomore who unites "an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past."

"There is no other character in comic books more special to me than Stargirl," said creator and showrunner Geoff Johns. "And after searching far and wide I can say there is no other actor on the planet that embodies her more than Brec Bassinger. Brec’s warmth, strength, humor and positive energy are core to who Courtney Whitmore is. I’m so grateful she’s signed on for the role.”

Bassinger is best known for her role in Nickelodeon comedy Bella and the Bulldogs, but she has also appeared in All Night, The Haunted Hathaways, School of Rock, The Goldbergs and Code Black.

Unread 2018-11-03, 03:58 PM   #5
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

DC Universe's Stargirl Casts Anjelika Washington In Mystery Comics Role

Anjelika Washington has joined the cast of DC Universe's Stargirl series. The series will join DC's new digital streaming platform, accompanying Titans, Doom Patrol, and the planned Swamp Thing adaptation. Although Titans will overtly intersect with Doom Patrol - with the former already planting seeds for the latter - Stargirl appears as though it will exist on its own as more of a standalone series.

Debuting in 1999 from creator Geoff Johns, Stargirl centers around a young woman named Courtney Whitmore who becomes a superhero after discovering that her step-father was once the sidekick to the super-powered Star-Spangled Kid. The character has been featured in episodes of Smallville and Legends of Tomorrow, and now the series is being adapted as one of DC Universe's brand new live-action TV series', with Johns personally overseeing the adaptation. Starring Brec Bassinger in the title role, it's recently been announced that Anjelika Washington (Young Sheldon) has also been cast.

According to CBR, despite the fact that Washington has been officially cast in the new series, her role has yet to be revealed. The only snippet of information offered to fans regarding who she might be playing comes courtesy of Geoff Johns himself, who explained that the character she'll be playing is very much "familiar to DC Comics fans." Unfortunately, that's all he was willing to reveal for the time being.

Though Washington's role in Stargirl will undoubtedly be significant in her budding career, this won't be her first experience in the superhero universe. Aside from appearing in shows like Shameless and Young Sheldon, Washington has also starred in two episodes of Marvel's Runaways on Hulu. That said, he role in Stargirl is expected to be far more significant.

Given Stargirl's association with the Justice Society of America, as well as the fact that the series' official casting breakdown mentions that Stargirl will inspire other young heroes to rise up, there is evidence to support Washington being a fellow member of the reimagined team. She could very easily be playing a character named Maxine Hunkel, otherwise known as Cyclone or even a gender-reversed interpretation of Jakeem Thunder. Both characters were featured during Johns' tenure with the Justice Society of America, so they're worth considering. That said, it's also possible that Washington may be playing a younger version of Merry Pemberton (aka Gimmick Girl) or - assuming she's playing a villain - Stargirl's comic book nemesis Shiv.

Unread 2018-11-29, 07:53 PM   #6
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

'Stargirl' Casts Yvette Monreal and Christopher James Baker

The cast of DC Universe's Stargirl series is beginning to take shape.

According to Deadline, Yvette Monreal and Christopher James Baker have been cast as series regulars in the upcoming live-action series. While both of their roles are currently a mystery, they are described as "undisclosed DC characters".

Stargirl will follow Courtney Whitmore (Brec Bassinger), a high school sophomore who inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. The series is expected to put a twist on the Justice Society of America, a group that has already appeared in live-action several times.

Monreal is known for her roles in Faking It, Rambo 5: Last Blood, and The Fosters. Baker's filmography includes True Detective, Ozark, and The Purge: Election Year.
The pair join a cast that includes Bassinger and Anjelika Washington, the latter of whom is also playing an undisclosed DC role. The series will join an eclectic roster of DC Universe original programming, including Titans, Young Justice: Outsiders, Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, and Harley Quinn.

"It’s cool; it’s going to take the Stars and STRIPE comic, the Justice Society comic, and merge it into one thing." executive producer and Stargirl co-creator Geoff Johns revealed earlier this year. "And tonally, it’s Spider-Man: Homecoming and Buffy the Vampire Slayer along with the [comic] books. We’re bringing a lot of the legacy stuff into it, a lot of the stuff James Robinson did with the Justice Society. I love all of that, his JSA: The Golden Age series, launching the [1999 series] JSA… I’ve always wanted to do a series based on Stars and STRIPE, so it’s really exciting."

"It’s a story about a combined family, and a young girl in school." Johns explained. "It takes place in high school; I don’t think we see a lot of superhero shows in high schools… I’m not sure there is another superhero show that takes place in high school; I love that, you know? There’s going to be good guys and bad guys. It’s going to be a lot of fun."

Unread 2018-12-12, 02:02 PM   #7
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

'Stargirl' TV Series Casts 'Community's Joel McHale as Starman

As DC Universe prepares to begin production on its live-action Stargirl series, Geoff Johns & Co. have found another star spangled hero to join their ranks.
According to a new report from Variety, the upcoming DC series has tapped Community star Joel McHale to play Sylvester Pemberton, aka Starman. The role will be influenced by the Golden Age version of the character, and he will appear in a recurring capacity throughout the show's first season.

If you aren't familiar, Starman has long been a member of DC's Justice Society of America. He uses a strange anti-gravity weapon that he calls "The Cosmic Staff," and has a sidekick named Stripsey. This is where his connection to Stargirl comes into play. Stripsey is known better by his alter ego, Pat Dugan, the stepfather to Stargirl herself, Courtney Whitmore.
This may sound confusing for longtime DC fans, as the character of Sylvester Pemberton is more widely known as the Star-Spangled Kid in the JSA. He never truly took on the mantle of Starman in the comics, but there was a period of time when the two characters shared a storyline. While Starman was injured, he passed his cosmic staff to Sylvester to fight in his place, hoping that the young hero would eventually serve as his successor.

Judging by the way the character is being described for the show, it sounds like he will be a mix of both the Star-Spangled Kid and Starman. In all likelihood, he will serve as a mentor of sorts for Stargirl.

Brec Bassinger will take on the lead role of Courtney Whitmore, aka Stargirl in the series. She's a high school student who inspires a group of young heroes to take on the villains from the past. Geoff Johns created the character in 1999, based on his late sister. Johns will pen the first episode of the series in addition to his role as executive producer.

Unread 2018-12-13, 02:33 PM   #8
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

STARGIRL Adds S.W.A.T. Actor Lou Ferrigno Jr. As Justice Society Member Hourman

DC Universe's upcoming Stargirl show has added another established DC Comics character to its ranks in the form of Golden Age Justice Society of America member Hourman, who'll be played by Lou Ferrigno Jr.

Last night, news broke that DC Universe's Stargirl had added Joel McHale as Sylvester Pemberton, a.k.a. Starman, and now we have word on another classic DC Comics character that'll be joining the show.

According to TV Line, Lou Ferrigno Jr. - son of the original Incredible Hulk actor - has signed on for the the recurring guest star role of Golden Age JSA founding member Rex Tyler, a.k.a. Hourman.

The character is described as "a master chemist and adrenaline junkie who as Hourman is a thrill-seeking superhero with the ability to manifest super-strength… for one hour a day."
Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore (School of Rock and All Night‘s Brec Bassinger) as she inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. This new drama will reimagine Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in an unpredictable series.

Unread 2018-12-13, 04:51 PM   #9
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

'Stargirl' Casts Brian Stapf as Wildcat

Stargirl's Justice Society of America has officially found its Wildcat.
According to a new report from TVInsider, Brian Stapf has been cast as Ted Grant/Wildcat in the upcoming DC Universe Streaming series. Stapf will be appearing in the series in a recurring role.

In the comics, Ted is one of the founding members of the JSA, who is a world-class fighter and a mentor to Black Canary and several other heroes. The character most recently appeared in Arrow's third season (played by J.R. Ramirez), as a gym owner and ex-vigilante who trained Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy). Stargirl's version of Ted is reportedly poised to be comic-accurate, as he is "clawed and cowled" and is "also a former heavyweight boxer".
Stapf previously appeared as Roy in three episodes of The Walking Dead, with his filmography also including House of Cards, Valor, and The Purge television series.

Stargirl will see Brec Bassinger playing the titular role of Courtney Whitmore/Stargirl, with Joel McHale, Lou Ferigno Jr., Anjelika Washington, Yvette Monreal, and Christopher James Baker also poised to appear. The series will join an eclectic roster of DC Universe original programming, including Titans, Young Justice: Outsiders, Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, and Harley Quinn.
"It’s cool; it’s going to take the Stars and STRIPE comic, the Justice Society comic, and merge it into one thing." executive producer and Stargirl co-creator Geoff Johns revealed earlier this year. "And tonally, it’s Spider-Man: Homecoming and Buffy the Vampire Slayer along with the [comic] books. We’re bringing a lot of the legacy stuff into it, a lot of the stuff James Robinson did with the Justice Society. I love all of that, his JSA: The Golden Age series, launching the [1999 series] JSA… I’ve always wanted to do a series based on Stars and STRIPE, so it’s really exciting."

Are you excited to see Stapf join Stargirl? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Unread 2018-12-17, 03:50 PM   #10
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

STARGIRL Adds THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE And E.T. Actor Henry Thomas As Doctor Mid-Nite

As DC Universe continues to round out the cast of its live-action Stargirl series, the latest addition is Henry Thomas (The Haunting of Hill House), who will play founding JSA member, Dr. Mid-Nite...

Following the news that DC Universe's Stargirl has added Joel McHale as Starman and Lou Ferrigno Jr. as Hourman, we have word that the live-action DC Comics adaptation has now cast another founding member of the Justice Society of America.

According toEW, Henry Thomas (E.T., The Haunting of Hill House) will appear in the recurring guest-star role of Dr. Charles McNider, a.k.a. Dr. Mid-Nite. This small-screen take on the Golden Age hero is described as a "brilliant and forward-thinking medical pioneer, and a founding member of the JSA. With his trusty owl, he acts as the team’s resident doctor and detective."

A different in incarnation of this character, played by Kwesi Ameyaw, appeared in season 2 of Legends of Tomorrow.
Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore (School of Rock and All Night‘s Brec Bassinger) as she inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. This new drama will reimagine Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in an unpredictable series.

Unread 2018-12-19, 10:07 AM   #11
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

DC's Stargirl Potentially Adding More Justice Society of America Members

A new casting breakdown for Stargirl suggests that more members of the Justice Society of America (JSA) will be joining the show's cast. First announced as being produced for DC Universe at San Diego Comic Con 2018, the upcoming show is shaping up to be another smash hit for the new streaming service. The show is currently scheduled to premiere some time in September 2019.

The series will focus upon Courtney Whitmore - a typical 15-year-old California girl who is forcibly relocated to the small town of Blue Valley, Nebraska after her mother remarries. The show's synopsis suggests the story of the show will stay close to Courtney's origins in the original Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. comic books, which introduced Stargirl into the world of DC Comics. This is hardly a surprise given that the show is being produced by Geoff Johns - the legendary comic book writer who co-created Courtney Whitmore's character and co-wrote the JSA comic book series in which Courtney joined the team.

That Hashtag Show reported on the latest casting breakdowns for Stargirl, which included several characters who might be members of the Justice Society of America. Previous casting announcements confirmed that several members of the JSA will be appearing in the new show. These include Lou Ferrigno Jr. as Hourman/Rex Tyler, Henry Thomas as Dr. Midnite/Dr. Charles McNider and Joel McHale as Courtney's predecessor Starman/Sylvester Pemberton.

Justice Society of America
The chief point of interest in the new casting announcement is the listing of a married couple, Sean and Ali Miller. Sean is described as an athletic Caucasian male in his 40s and an uber-jock, who runs the local trophy shop in Blue Valley and takes pride in selling only first place trophies. Ali is described as an Asian-American woman in her 40s, who is a gym teacher at the local high-school and an energetic, amusing soccer mom. The two are intensely devoted to their young daughter, Kerri, who is the school's star athlete. It is believed that Sean and Ali may be the JSA members Johnny Quick and Liberty Belle, which would make their child the future hero Jesse Quick.

The casting announcement goes on to list another recurring hero character named Arthur Matlock. Described as "a powerful man, both through physique, mind, and heart," Arthur is said to be a kind-hearted man who is not afraid to use his fists to solve problems if needed. Married to a woman named Ruth with a son named Ben, "Arthur Matlock" could be either Alan Scott/Green Lantern or Al Pratt/The Atom. The later seems more likely, however, given Pratt's reputation as a brawler in the comics.
Whoever these characters ultimately turn out to be, Courtney Whitmore will certainly need some experienced help to cope with the new villains the casting announcement also hints at. One of these, "Scott Weber", is described as a vicious telepath who is still a loving father to his son. This would seem to be a nod to the classic JSA villain Brain Wave. The show will also feature a mad scientist called "Dr. Draven", who hides his face behind a mask and conducts horrible experiments on innocent people. It is believed this could be an adaptation of the JSA villain Johnny Sorrow, despite Sorrow having been a magical villain rather than a mad-scientist. The truth of this will hopefully be revealed before Stargirl airs on DC Universe next fall.

Unread 2018-12-20, 07:38 PM   #12
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

DC Universe's 'Stargirl' Casts Three Members of the Injustice Society

DC Universe's Stargirl has been rounding out its roster of heroes, and now it just added three new adversaries.

According to a new report from Deadline, Joy Osmanski, Neil Hopkins, and Nelson Lee have all been cast in the upcoming live-action series and will be playing three members of the infamous Injustice Society.

For the uninitiated, the Injustice Society serves as a volatile team of master criminals, who are the underground foil to the Justice Society of America. The JSA - particularly the Golden Age iterations of the characters - are poised to play a pretty major role in Stargirl.
Osmanski (The Santa Clarita Diet, iZombie, Lucifer) will play Tigress, who is described as “protecting and providing for her family, Paula Brooks hunts the world’s most dangerous game – humans – as the Tigress.” Tigress made her DC Comics debut in 1947, although she was billed as Huntress at that time. She was introduced as the foe of Wildcat, who will be played by Brian Stapf in Stargirl.
Hopkins (Matador, Lost) will play Lawrence "Crusher" Crock, also known as the Sportsmaster. Sportsmaster is described as a man who“sees his criminal pursuits as a game to win — and his competitors as targets to kill. The only thing more important to Crock than ‘the game’ is his family.” In the comics, Sportsmaster uses augmented athletic gear to fight his foes, and eventually married Tigress. It is unclear if the pair will have the same relationship in Stargirl.
Lee (Blade: The Series, Disney's upcoming live-action Mulan), will be playing Dragon King, a super-villain who hides his face and past. He is described as "a deadly and mysterious hooded man…this controversial scientist has been experimenting on himself and his victims since the 1940s.”
Stargirl will see Brec Bassinger playing the titular role of Courtney Whitmore/Stargirl, with Joel McHale, Lou Ferigno Jr., Brian Stapf, Henry Thomas, Anjelika Washington, Yvette Monreal, and Christopher James Baker also poised to appear. The series will join an eclectic roster of DC Universe original programming, including Titans, Young Justice:

Outsiders, Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, and Harley Quinn.
"It’s a story about a combined family, and a young girl in school," Johns explained. "It takes place in high school; I don’t think we see a lot of superhero shows in high schools… I’m not sure there is another superhero show that takes place in high school; I love that, you know? There’s going to be good guys and bad guys. It’s going to be a lot of fun."

Unread 2019-01-08, 06:42 PM   #13
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

DC Universe's Stargirl Casts Luke Wilson As Pat Dugan

DC Universe's Stargirl just added another cast member to its list: Luke Wilson will join the series as Pat Dugan. In the comic books, Pat Dugan was once a superhero sidekick to the Star-Spangled Kid.
More importantly, though, Dugan becomes stepfather to Courtney Whitmore, who eventually becomes Stargirl after she finds the original Star-Spangled Kid's gear in Dugan's belongings. She first puts on the suit because she resents Dugan for marrying her mother and moving her family from L.A. to the Midwest. Dugan, a skilled mechanic, eventually creates a massive robotic suit called S.T.R.I.P.E. that he uses to help and protect Stargirl. It seems that the DC Universe TV show will stick pretty close to this origin story from the pages of its comic books.

Deadline reports that Wilson will join the cast of Stargirl as Dugan, with the TV show having Brec Bassinger in the lead role as Stargirl. Showrunner Geoff Johns, who created the Stargirl comic, admitted to initially creating the character of Dugan with Wilson in mind:
When I first moved to Los Angeles in 1996 and saw Bottle Rocket, I became a huge fan and admirer of Luke’s. And I literally wrote this part for Luke, hoping that someday and somehow he’d play Pat Dugan. I only envisioned him. And now I feel like I won the lottery! Luke’s talent, humor, compassion — his presence and professionalism — and his creative collaboration, his ideas — we’re so lucky to have him alongside Brec in Stargirl.

Wilson joins a cast that also includes Lou Ferrigno Jr. as Hourman, Brian Stapf as Wildcat, Henry Thomas as Dr. Mid-Nite, Joel McHale as Starman and Anjelika Washington in an as-of-yet unknown role. Stargirl is one of several original live-action series set to premiere on DC Universe; the streaming service's other original shows include Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing. DC Universe just recently wrapped up the first season of Titans and committed to a second season of that series before the first episode ever aired. DC also plans on rounding out its original programming with several new animated series, including Young Justice: Outsiders and Harley Quinn.

DC Universe, which launched in September 2018, offers more than just original TV shows, though, it also has a library of classic DC TV shows and movies, and will even be adding Syfy's first season of Krypton sometime this year, expanding its streaming library. The service also has a back catalog of comic books for fans to peruse, as well as exclusive merchandise offers for its subscribers. DC Universe's current plan for programming is to offer original content throughout the year, giving DC fans a reason to keep subscribing.
With the addition of Wilson to an already star-studded cast list, Stargirl could quickly become DC Universe's must-see TV. The series premiere of Stargirl will undoubtedly bring in some new subscribers when it lands on the service in August 2019.

Unread 2019-01-10, 06:55 PM   #14
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

'Arrow' Veteran Glen Winter To Direct DC Universe's 'Stargirl' Pilot

Arrow and The Flash veteran Glen Winter is going to direct the Stargirl pilot, according to a report from Production Weekly.
Winter has been directing DC TV since Smallville, and has helmed the pilot episodes of Supergirl, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Titans, and Doom Patrol already. Like David Nutter, who directed Arrow and The Flash's pilots after tackling Smallville's first episode, Winter has become a go-to.
Ironically, while Winter is directing Stargirl, Nutter will helm Batwoman's pilot for The CW.
Created by Geoff Johns and Lee Moder and inspired by Johns's late sister, Courtney Whitmore is a superheroine who found her way into one of the DC Universe's most storied legacies.
“There is no other character in comic books more special to me than Stargirl, and after searching far and wide I can say there is no other actor on the planet that embodies her more than Brec Bassinger,” said executive producer/writer Geoff Johns. “Brec’s warmth, strength, humor and positive energy are core to who Courtney Whitmore is. I’m so grateful she’s signed on for the role.”
Her stepfather, Pat Dugan, was the original Stripesy, the partner to a superhero in the '40s known as the Star-Spangled Kid. When Courtney first took on the role of Star-Spangled Kid, he got into a giant suit of armor and designated himself S.T.R.I.P.E. to keep her safe on missions.
Dugan will appear in the series as well, played by Luke Wilson.
Later, after inheriting the cosmic staff of Starman Jack Knight, she started calling herself Stargirl and worked primarily with the Justice Society. She's also worked with the Justice League, the Suicide Squad, and Young Justice.
Courtney has made two previous live-action appearances: she was played by Britt Irvin on Smallville and Power Rangers veteran Sarah Grey on DC's Legends of Tomorrow. Neither of those shows is in continuity with the forthcoming Stargirl series.
According to her official character bio, Courtney Whitmore (aka Stargirl) is smart, athletic and above all else kind. This high school teenager’s seemingly perfect life hits a major speedbump when her mother gets married and her new family moves from Los Angeles, California to Blue Valley, Nebraska. Struggling to adapt to a new school, make new friends and deal with a new step-family, Courtney discovers her step-father has a secret; he used to be the sidekick to a superhero. “Borrowing” the long-lost hero’s cosmic staff, Courtney becomes the unlikely inspiration for an entirely new generation of superheroes.
Greg Berlanti, Geoff Johns and Sarah Schechter are executive producers of Stargirl, which is based on characters from DC which were created by Geoff Johns. The series is produced by Berlanti Productions and Mad Ghost Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. Johns is writing the first episode.

Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore as she inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. This new drama reimagines Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in an unpredictable series. The project focuses on the character that started executive producer Geoff Johns’ career as a comic book writer when he created her in 1999, lovingly inspired by his late sister, who was killed in a 1996 plane explosion.

Unread 2019-02-22, 06:25 PM   #15
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

STARGIRL Rounds Out Its Cast With JUST FRIENDS Star Amy Smart & Three More Series Regulars

The DC Universe's upcoming Stargirl series has rounded out its Brec Bassinger-led cast with four more series regulars, including Amy Smart, Neil Jackson, Hunter Sansone, and Trae Romano.

Deadline is reporting that Amy Smart (Crank; The Butterfly Effect; Scrubs), Neil Jackson (Westworld; Kingsman: The Great Game), Hunter Sansone (Drama Drama; Unfollow), and Trae Romano (Robbie; 555) have joined the cast of the DC Universe's upcoming Stargirl series, which will star up-and-comer Brec Bassinger (Bella and the Bulldogs; The Goldbergs) in the title role as Courtney Whitmore.

Smart will portray Courtney's mother Barbara Whitmore and new wife of Pat Dugan (Luke Wilson). Her character description is as follows, "With her daughter in high school, Barbara is diving back into the workforce but striving to balance workplace demands with the commitments of both matrimony and motherhood."

Romano will portray Mike Dugan, Pat's only son and Courtney's new stepbrother. While the streaming service was forthcoming about those two series regular roles, they're choosing to stay tight-lipped about the roles played by Sansone and Jackson.

In addition to Bassinger, the cast will also feature Joel McHale (Community), Henry Thomas (The Haunting of Hill House), Lou Ferrigno Jr. (S.W.A.T.), Meg DeLacy (The Fosters), Anjelika Washington (Shameless), Yvette Monreal (The Fosters), Christopher James Baker (True Detective), Jake Austin Walker (Rectify), and Luke Wilson (Old School).
Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore as she inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. This new drama reimagines Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in an unpredictable series.
Stargirl features:
Brec Bassinger as Courtney Whitmore/Stargirl
Joel McHale as Sylvester Pemberton/Starman
Henry Thomas as Dr. Mid-Nite
Lou Ferrigno Jr. as Rex Tyler/Hourman
Meg DeLacy as Cindy Burman
Luke Wilson as Pat Dugan
Amy Smart as Barbara Whitmore
Trae Romano as Mike Dugan
Anjelika Washington in an undisclosed role
Yvette Monreal in an undisclosed role
Christopher James Baker in an undisclosed role
Jake Austin Walker in an undisclosed role
Neil Jackson in an undisclosed role
Hunter Sansone in an undisclosed role

Unread 2019-03-30, 01:58 PM   #16
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

STARGIRL: First Look At Brec Bassinger Suited Up; Plus SWAMP THING & YOUNG JUSTICE Premiere Dates Revealed

The DC Universe has just closed its WonderCon panel by releasing a first look at Brec Bassinger suited up as Stargirl! Plus, they've also announced the premiere dates for Swamp Thing & Young Justice!

Following their WonderCon panel, The DC Universe has shared a first look at Brec Bassinger (School of Rock) suited up as Stargirl, Courtney Whitmore's superhero alter-ego from the upcoming DCU series, which has now been confirmed to premiere in 2020.

In addition to Bassinger, the cast will also feature Joel McHale (Community), Henry Thomas (The Haunting of Hill House), Lou Ferrigno Jr. (S.W.A.T.), Meg DeLacy (The Fosters), Anjelika Washington (Shameless), Yvette Monreal (The Fosters), Christopher James Baker (True Detective), Jake Austin Walker (Rectify), Amy Smart (Crank), Neil Jackson (Westworld), Hunter Sansone (Drama Drama), Trae Romano (Robbie) and Luke Wilson (Old School).

Plus, they've announced a pair of eagerly-awaited premiere dates. First, Swamp Thing, which stars Andy Bean (It: Chapter Two) and Crystal Reed (Gotham), will premiere on May 31st and then, Young Justice: Outsiders will return with the back half of season three on July 2.

Unread 2019-07-06, 02:27 PM   #17
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Original Green Lantern Rumored To Debut In Stargirl TV Series

DC Universe's next original series up to bat will be Stargirl, which will star Brec Bassinger in the lead role of Courtney Whitmore, aka Stargirl. A new rumor has popped up though that suggests she will be joined by another DC favorite on the show, and if this is true Green Lantern fans now have something cool to look forward to. According to insider Lance Ausfresser from the Stargirl Facebook group, original Green Lantern Alan Scott is set to appear in Stargirl's first season, and it makes sense if you consider Stargirl's history with the JSA and her origins in general (via Full Circle Cinema).
There actually might already be a description for Scott out there, though under a different name. Last year Stargirl was casting a character named Arthur Matlock (via That Hashtag Show), whose description reads "Described as a powerful man, both through physique, mind, and heart, he is a kind individual who is quick with his fists whenever it is necessary. That also allows him to be a great husband to his wife Ruth and a great father to his baby son Ben.”
That could easily be describing Scott, just leaving out the whole Green Lantern aspect of his character. If you throw in the fact that other JSA members like Wildcat and Hourman are appearing in the show, it makes the argument even more convincing.
Scott first appeared in All-American Comics #16 in 1940, and shortly after that helped found the Justice Society. Scott's final Golden Age appearance was in 1951, and Green Lantern was later relaunched in 1959, with Hal Jordan becoming the primary Green Lantern. Scott would make his way back into the universe though and ever since has become a fixture of the DC Universe.
Personally we can't wait to see a Green Lantern as part of the DC Universe line of shows, even if it is in simply a cameo or supporting role, and hopefully, we'll get to see more Lanterns introduced sooner rather than later.
Stargirl is being written and executive produced by Johns, and Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter will also serve as executive producers. The series is being produced by Berlanti Productions and Johns' Mad Ghost Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. The series stars Bassinger, Joel McHale, Lou Ferrigno Jr., Brian Stapf, Anjelika Washington, Yvette Monreal, and Christopher James Baker, and you can check out the official description for the series below.
"STARGIRL follows High School sophomore Courtney Whitmore who inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. This new DC Universe series reimagines Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in a fun, exciting and unpredictable series premiering in 2019, produced by Warner Bros. Television, Mad Ghost Productions and Berlanti Productions."
Stargirl hits DC Universe later this year.

Unread 2019-08-22, 04:50 PM   #18
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Stargirl Set Photos Reveal Yvette Monreal's Possible Wildcat Costume

Last month, leaked DC Universe concept art gave fans an unofficial sneak peek at upcoming characters for the streaming service's shows. This included a character who might be the Yolanda Montez version of Wildcat, possibly indicating her appearence in Stargirl. Today, fans got a look at actress Yvette Monreal, who might play Yolanda in the series, in a costume that could be the show's version of Yolanda's costume.

Uploaded to Stargirl.TV, the photos and video -- all from the filming of the season finale in Dallas, Georgia -- show Monreal with fellow series stars Brec Bassinger, Trae Romano, Anjelika Washington and someone who might be Lou Ferrigno Jr. outside a building, with Bassinger, Monreal and Ferrigno Jr. all in costume.

In the photos and video, fans can see Monreal's costume, which -- as opposed to the more cat-like suit of the comics -- is a midnight blue leather bodysuit, with sunglasses taking the place of a mask.

While it has yet to be confirmed that Monreal is playing Yolanda -- especially given that the Golden Age's Wildcat, Ted Grant, will appear in the series -- it would appear that the series is opting to go with a more realistic costume, as opposed to a more faithful approach, such as the one seen with Ferrigno Jr.'s Hourman suit.

Arriving in 2020, DC Universe's Stargirl stars Brec Bassinger as Courtney Whitmore (Stargirl), Joel McHale as Sylvester Pemberton (Starman), Brian Stapf as Ted Grant (Wildcat), Lou Ferrigno Jr. as Rex Tyler (Hourman) and Meg DeLacy as Cindy Burman, with Anjelika Washington, Yvette Monreal and Christopher James Baker as undisclosed DC characters.

We've got something really special for you guys today! As you know, the finale episode is currently in production. There really only is a week and a half remaining! Today, the cast and crew headed back to the very sweet town of Dallas, Georgia, where several of the cast were there in costume! It looks like Brec Bassinger, Anjelika Washington, Yvette Monreal, Trae Romano and possibly Lou Ferrigno Jr. were on location. Seeing the cast in costume and in action was amazing! There are some obvious spoilers in these images so beware. Check out the images and behind the scenes video below:

High-Res Images: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Images are property of Stargirl.tv and have been marked as such. Any use of these images outside this website without proper credit or permission will not be allowed.