Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Politics, Religion, Current Events

Unread 2020-02-28, 09:47 AM   #1
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 272
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 2013
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35
Default Trump Admin Silences Coronavirus Expert

Yeah, let's control the flow of information from the experts. One step closer to state controlled media.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...cussion-2020-2

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2020-02-28, 10:19 AM   #2
ForcFed93

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 103
Likes (Given): 339
Likes (Received): 711
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
Yeah, let's control the flow of information from the experts. One step closer to state controlled media.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...cussion-2020-2

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
And unfortunately, Trump's diehards are perfectly fine with that. It's amazing how much Trump aspires to be like Putin or Xi.
Unread 2020-02-28, 10:22 AM   #3
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 493
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 4167
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 125

Have Phreak and Dr. Ryan approved the credentials of this guy yet, or should I wait for their approval to consider him an expert? Just in case he's an expert, here's him saying the mortality rate of this is less than 2%, lower than some, and right on average with other types of flu pandemics we've seen over the years.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxc4078Ye7w
jwdb1fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2020-02-28, 10:30 AM   #4
ForcFed93

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 103
Likes (Given): 339
Likes (Received): 711
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
Have Phreak and Dr. Ryan approved the credentials of this guy yet, or should I wait for their approval to consider him an expert? Just in case he's an expert, here's him saying the mortality rate of this is less than 2%, lower than some, and right on average with other types of flu pandemics we've seen over the years.
Well, I'd say as the director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infections Diseases, I'd say he's probably pretty well versed in the subject.

How dare anyone say anything that contradicts was Trump or Pence say, even if it means putting more American lives at risk due to lack of preparation.

Because we all know Trump and Pence are the nations foremost infectious disease experts.

Edit: By the way, a 2% mortality rate means that for every 50 people that contract it, one will die. Sure, SARS and MERS may have higher mortality rates, transmitting those diseases is much more difficult (and by extension, much easier to contain). And influenza, which transmits much the same way, has a mortality rate of around 0.1%. Or, 1/20th of Coronavirus. So if you're trying to use his (factual) words as a way to discredit him, then you're ignorance on the subject has invalidated your argument.

Last edited by ForcFed93; 2020-02-28 at 10:44 AM..
ForcFed93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2020-02-28, 10:35 AM   #5
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

This is the man that helped the US navigate the AIDS crisis of the 80s. He's also a Presidential Medal of Freedom awardee, so he should be just as good as Rush in Trumps eyes.

Unread 2020-02-28, 10:38 AM   #6
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Dont worry, he is a real doctor. Now do your job, Ive been waiting on my wings for 15 minutes.
Unread 2020-02-28, 10:40 AM   #7
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
This is the man that helped the US navigate the AIDS crisis of the 80s. He's also a Presidential Medal of Freedom awardee, so he should be just as good as Rush in Trumps eyes.

Can you post the actual NYT article that is what your link references in the OP? Your link also states that his office denies the report. I tried to reads it, but the NYT website wants me to sign up to get beyond the first paragraph.

Unlike you and your cronies in here, I like to read the facts in their entirety, and not just take secondhand information at face value.
Unread 2020-02-28, 10:48 AM   #8
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Can you post the actual NYT article that is what your link references in the OP? Your link also states that his office denies the report. I tried to reads it, but the NYT website wants me to sign up to get beyond the first paragraph.

Unlike you and your cronies in here, I like to read the facts in their entirety, and not just take secondhand information at face value.
My link references a Business Insider article. not the NYT.

*Edit I think you were talking about the first bolded summary. Here you go:

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The White House moved on Thursday to tighten control of coronavirus messaging by government health officials and scientists, directing them to coordinate all statements and public appearances with the office of Vice President Mike Pence, according to several officials familiar with the new approach.

But on a day that the White House sought to display a more disciplined strategy to the administration’s communications about the virus, Mr. Trump used an evening event honoring African-American History Month to rail against the news media, claiming it is overstating the threat, and to congratulate himself for keeping the number of cases low.

“I think it’s an incredible achievement what our country’s done,” Mr. Trump said, noting that he had moved quickly to ban travel from China after the emergence of the virus. Even though a total of 60 people infected with the coronavirus are in the United States, he ignored all but the 15 who did not initially contract it overseas.

“Fifteen people is almost, I would say, a miracle,” the president bragged.

The comments came just a few hours after Mr. Pence convened a meeting of the coronavirus task force composed of some of the nation’s top public health officials. The vice president made it clear that they would report to him.

“I’m leading the task force,” Mr. Pence told reporters at the Department of Health and Human Services, even as he promised to rely on the guidance of experts.

Mr. Trump announced Wednesday evening that Mr. Pence would coordinate the government’s response to the public health threat while playing down the immediate danger from the virus that is spreading rapidly across the globe.

Officials insist Mr. Pence’s goal is not to control what experts and other officials say, but to make sure their efforts are coordinated, after days of confusion with various administration officials making contradictory statements on television.

But the attempt to demonstrate a unified administration voice was undercut early in the day, when Mr. Pence said that he had selected Dr. Deborah L. Birx, the director of the United States effort to combat H.I.V. and AIDS, to serve as the coronavirus response coordinator for the White House, enlisting an experienced scientist and physician to address the potential spread of the virus.

The announcements of the roles of the vice president and Dr. Birx were intended to show that Mr. Trump and those around him are taking seriously the potential threat to the health of Americans. Aides said the president wanted governors and members of Congress to have a single point person to communicate with, eliminating any jockeying for power in a decentralized situation.

But Dr. Birx is now the third person to have been designated as the administration’s primary coronavirus official, along with Mr. Pence and Alex M. Azar II, the secretary of health and human services.

Mr. Trump said Wednesday that “Mike is going to be in charge, and Mike will report back to me.” Mr. Pence said it would be Dr. Birx. Mr. Azar, for his part, remains the chairman of the government’s coronavirus task force.

The vice president’s move to control the messaging about coronavirus appeared to be aimed at preventing the kind of conflicting statements that have plagued the administration’s response.

The latest instance occurred Thursday evening, when the president said that the virus could get worse or better in the days and weeks ahead, but that nobody knows, contradicting Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, one of the country’s leading experts on viruses and the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease.

At the meeting with Mr. Pence on Thursday, Dr. Fauci described the seriousness of the public health threat facing Americans, saying that “this virus has adapted extremely well to human species” and noting that it appeared to have a higher mortality rate than influenza.

“We are dealing with a serious virus,” Dr. Fauci said.

Dr. Fauci has told associates that the White House had instructed him not to say anything else without clearance.

The new White House approach came as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention acknowledged Thursday that a California woman with coronavirus was made to wait days before she was tested for an infection because of the agency’s restrictive criteria.

And despite Mr. Trump’s efforts to calm jittery investors, stock markets plunged again Thursday. The S&P 500 fell 4.4 percent, the worst single-day slide for the market since August 2011 and leaving it 10 percent lower than it was a week earlier.

The president’s decision to appoint Mr. Pence to lead the coronavirus response came after several days in which his aides grappled with whether to name a “coronavirus czar.”

Mr. Trump said on Wednesday that he was pleased with Mr. Azar’s performance, calling the team that he has led “totally brilliant.” But White House aides, led by Mick Mulvaney, the president’s acting chief of staff, had debated for days whether the administration needed a point person to be the face of the response.

The decision to put Mr. Pence in charge was made on Wednesday after the president told some people that the vice president did not “have anything else to do,” according to people familiar with Mr. Trump’s comments.

Dr. Birx has spent more than three decades working on H.I.V./AIDS immunology, vaccine research and global health, according to the White House, which said in a statement that she would “bring her infectious disease, immunologic, vaccine research and interagency coordinating capacity to this position.”

The president’s selection of Mr. Pence — and the decision to name Dr. Birx as the coordinator for the response — further erodes Mr. Azar’s traditional role as the nation’s top health official in charge of directing the government’s response to a medical crisis. Mr. Trump has told people that he considers Mr. Azar to be too “alarmist” about the virus.

Mr. Azar denied reports that he had not been consulted about the decision to bring in Mr. Pence before the president’s announcement Wednesday evening. He told lawmakers on Thursday during a House Ways and Means Committee hearing that when he was informed of Mr. Pence’s selection, “I said, quote, ‘that’s genius.’”

Officials also announced that Mr. Pence was expanding the coronavirus task force to include “key administration officials,” including Dr. Jerome M. Adams, the surgeon general, as well as the president’s top two economic advisers, Larry Kudlow, the director of the National Economic Council, and Steven Mnuchin, the Treasury secretary. The task force is made up of more than a dozen top administration officials and cabinet secretaries.

An administration official said Thursday night that Mr. Pence had discussed the coronavirus with several governors, including Andrew Cuomo, Democrat of New York; Greg Abbott, Republican of Texas; Larry Hogan, Republican of Maryland; Pete Ricketts, Republican of Nebraska; Jay Inslee, Democrat of Washington; and Gavin Newsom, Democrat of California.

The decision to bring in Mr. Pence was not without controversy.

Critics of the vice president pointed to Mr. Pence’s record on public health when he was the governor of Indiana as evidence that he was not the right person to lead the government’s response to a health crisis. Democrats noted that Mr. Pence was blamed for aggravating a severe AIDS outbreak among intravenous drug users when he opposed calls for a clean needle exchange program on the grounds it would encourage more drug use.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi told reporters that she had told Mr. Pence directly that she questioned his new role given that as governor, he had “slashed” the public health budget in Indiana.

“I spoke with the vice president this morning, made some of these concerns known to him,” she said. “We have always had a very candid relationship and I expressed to him the concern that I had of his being in this position.”

Correction: Feb. 27, 2020
An earlier version of this article misstated the name of agency that Dr. Anthony S. Fauci leads. It is the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, not the National Institute of Allergy and Infections Diseases.

Last edited by BuddyLee; 2020-02-28 at 10:52 AM..
Unread 2020-02-28, 10:52 AM   #9
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
My link references a Business Insider article. not the NYT.

Your link is directly to a Business Insider article that clearly states they are referencing a report from the New York Times.

Did you read the article you posted, or do you have such a hard on for anything anti-Trump that you'll just regurgitate anything that looks to fit your desired narrative?

"President Donald Trump's administration has barred one of the top US experts on infectious diseases from speaking out about the coronavirus outbreak without permission from the White House, The New York Times reported Thursday, in an apparent bid to stop contradictory messages about the public-health crisis."

"The Trump administration has barred Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), from speaking publicly about the novel coronavirus without approval, according to The New York Times."
Unread 2020-02-28, 10:53 AM   #10
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Your link is directly to a Business Insider article that clearly states they are referencing a report from the New York Times.

Did you read the article you posted, or are do you have such a hard on for anything anti-Trump that you'll just regurgitate anything that looks to fit your desired narrative?

"President Donald Trump's administration has barred one of the top US experts on infectious diseases from speaking out about the coronavirus outbreak without permission from the White House, The New York Times reported Thursday, in an apparent bid to stop contradictory messages about the public-health crisis."
I actually read the article. I skipped over the bold summarizations and read the meat. If you scroll back I posted the article for you since you are struggling at internetting

Unread 2020-02-28, 10:56 AM   #11
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I actually read the article. I skipped over the bold summarizations and read the meat. If you scroll back I posted the article for you since you are struggling at internetting
lol.

You win.

I was busy fixing up Dr. Ryan's wings and then realized I hadn't asked him if he wanted them bone in or bone out. From what I can tell about the Doc, I'm sure he's all about getting the bone though
Unread 2020-02-28, 10:58 AM   #12
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, tries to act all fancy and then gets proven he is full of shit, just like every other boomer.

You mad about Garth's endorsement of Bernie too?
Unread 2020-02-28, 02:28 PM   #13
Oblique
Forum Jester and Clown

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 144
Likes (Given): 240
Likes (Received): 792
Dislikes (Received): 26

Caring more about American lives than the possibility of this hurting Trump's chances at re-election later this year is just plain unamerican.
Unread 2020-02-28, 03:00 PM   #14
Oblique
Forum Jester and Clown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Since you value the opinion of experts so much, here is a psychiatrist explaining how Trump's mental health in relation to this situation spells disaster for us.

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/amp-vide...mpression=true
Unread 2020-02-29, 10:12 PM   #15
TWEETY

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 222
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 5

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/the-...ronavirus.html
Quote:
While the new coronavirus ravages much of China and world leaders rush to close their borders to protect citizens from the outbreak, the flu has quietly killed 10,000 in the U.S. so far this influenza season.
At least 19 million people have come down with the flu in the U.S. with 180,000 ending up in the hospital, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The flu season, which started in September and can run until May, is currently at its peak and poses a greater health threat to the U.S. than the new coronavirus, physicians say. The new virus, which first emerged in Wuhan, China, on Dec. 31, has sickened roughly 17,400 and killed 362 people mostly in that country as of Monday morning.

“In the U.S., it’s really a fear based on media and this being something new,” Dr. Jennifer Lighter, hospital epidemiologist at NYU Langone Health, said of the new coronavirus. “When in reality, people can take measures to protect themselves against the flu, which is here and prevalent and has already killed 10,000 people.”
The coronavirus outbreak, however, is proving to be more deadly than the flu. It has killed roughly 2% of the people who have contracted it so far, according to world health officials. That compares with a mortality rate of 0.095% for the flu in the U.S., according to CDC estimates for the 2019-2020 flu season. The CDC estimates that 21 million people will eventually get the flu this season.
Unread 2020-03-01, 07:18 AM   #16
TWEETY

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 222
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 5

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Quote:
A top U.S. health official disputed claims that the Trump administration blocked him from speaking out about the new coronavirus.

Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, categorically denied on Saturday about being "muzzled" by any administration, dating back to the presidency of Ronald Reagan.

"Let me clarify. I have never been muzzled — ever," Fauci told reporters gathered at the White House for President Trump's news conference meant to provide an update on COVID-19.
Instead, he claimed there was a misunderstanding.

"We were set up to go on some shows, and when the vice president took over, we said, 'Let's regroup and figure out how we're going to be communicating.' So I had to just stand down on a couple of shows and resubmit for clearance. And when I resubmitted for clearance, I got cleared," he said.
The New York Times reported that, on Thursday, Fauci met with Vice President Mike Pence, who was appointed the day before to lead the administration's coronavirus response effort, and described the virus as being "very serious," which contradicted what Trump said about the threat of the illness being less urgent. According to the report, Fauci told associates that the White House instructed him not to say anything else without clearance.
Trump initially responded to a reporter's question about Fauci and called it a "very dishonest question."
The news conference took place after Washington state announced the first death of a coronavirus patient on American soil.
Unread 2020-03-01, 02:19 PM   #17
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
LOL, tries to act all fancy and then gets proven he is full of shit, just like every other boomer.

You mad about Garth's endorsement of Bernie too?

WTH are you babbling on about this time? The only thing I meant by "you win" was that he had posted the article I requested while I was replying. That article gives no names, and quotes no source of who the "associates" are that claimed to have been told this-

"Dr. Fauci has told associates that the White House had instructed him not to say anything else without clearance."

And now we have an actual quote from the doctor stating that it never happened, and that he has never been muzzled.

Brian, Phreak, Dr. Ryan, and Force Fed are just puppets of the media, and nothing more than a pack of frauds trying to further an agenda.
Unread 2020-03-02, 01:48 PM   #18
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 179
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 471
Likes (Received): 663
Dislikes (Received): 36

Quote:
nothing more than a pack of frauds trying to further an agenda.
which means we have your undying support to run for President and shit all over the Constitution the entire time of being in office? because that's your history...
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2020-03-02, 01:52 PM   #19
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 711
Likes (Given): 365
Likes (Received): 4044
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Given how this virus impacts older folks, I sure hope those packed in at Trump's rally's are washing their hands. They would really be at risk from a carrier. But I'm sure that's not a real risk or anything since this is just a democrat hoax.
Unread 2020-03-02, 03:26 PM   #20
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 202
Likes (Given): 74
Likes (Received): 1374
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 29

You realize that Trump is the youngest man currently running.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2020-03-02, 03:37 PM   #21
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 711
Likes (Given): 365
Likes (Received): 4044
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Reading comprehension.

"those packed in at Trump's rally's....They would really be at risk"
Unread 2020-03-02, 04:15 PM   #22
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 202
Likes (Given): 74
Likes (Received): 1374
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 29

As opposed to the empty venues at the Biden and other Dem candidates.

I can see your point there.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2020-03-02, 06:26 PM   #23
Oblique
Forum Jester and Clown

Post Thanks / Like

Looks empty to me.
Unread 2020-03-02, 08:04 PM   #24
JewelsMari

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 142
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 749
Likes (Received): 297
Dislikes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Given how this virus impacts older folks, I sure hope those packed in at Trump's rally's are washing their hands. They would really be at risk from a carrier. But I'm sure that's not a real risk or anything since this is just a democrat hoax.
Considering that everyone is too busy telling people not to buy masks - instead of making sure there are working soap dispensers in public restrooms.... I kinda doubt it...
Unread 2020-03-03, 11:28 AM   #25
Oblique
Forum Jester and Clown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Trump suggests using flu vaccine on coronavirus and is instantly corrected by health experts: ‘No’

President appears to not understand basic information about vaccine testing

Donald Trump asked medical experts if coronavirus could be treated with a flu vaccine that already exists at a meeting with pharmaceutical executives on Monday.

The Trump administration called the meeting to discuss early work for developing a vaccine for the virus, which has killed more the 3,000 people and infected nearly 90,000 worldwide.

However, the president appeared to not understand basic information about how a vaccine is tested or produced and had to be repeatedly corrected by public health officials.

When Leonard Schleifer, the CEO of biotechnology company Regeneron, noted that millions of people are vaccinated for the flu, Mr Trump interrupted and asked if the same vaccine could be used for coronavirus.

“You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that would have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?” he said.

“No… probably none,” Mr Schleifer replied.

There is currently no vaccine for the new strain of coronavirus, officially known as Covid-2019, which was first identified in China in December.

Although multiple organisations are working on developing vaccines for the virus, health officials have said it will take at least one year to develop an effective treatment.

"In order to get a [coronavirus] vaccine that is practically deployable for people to use, it's going to be at least a year to a year and a half at best,” Dr Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said last week.

There are currently 16 confirmed cases of coronavirus and 27 “presumptive positive” cases awaiting confirmation in the US, according to the Centre for Disease Control (CDC).

Officials announced yesterday that six people in the US have died from the virus so far.

Later on Monday at a rally in North Carolina, Mr Trump also expressed his surprise at the fact that thousands of people die from flu every year in the US.

“Three or four weeks ago, I was sitting there and I said ‘what do we lose with the regular flu?’, they [health officials] said ‘about 27,000 minimum', it goes up to 70, sometimes even 80, one year it went up to 100,000 people,” Mr Trump told his supporters, as he recounted one of his meetings with health experts.

“I said ‘nobody told me that, nobody knows that.’

“So I actually told the pharmaceutical companies that they have to do a better job on that vaccine."

Recent estimates by the CDC have shown between 12,000 - 61,000 deaths annually from influenza since 2010.

Chuck Schumer, the Democrat Senate minority leader, accused Mr Trump on Monday of “downplaying” the threat posed by the coronavirus outbreak.

“Even now, President Trump seems to be spending more of his time blaming the media, and blaming the Democrats, than being constructive. In fact, he blames everyone not named Donald Trump,” Mr Schumer said.

“We know the history of how these viruses spread and work. When you deny them, when you don’t let people know what’s happening and what to do about it, things get worse."