Praetorian

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):
Dislikes (Given):
Dislikes (Received):

I can hit up a few guys that already work with Spyderco...but most designers have knife experience is the main thing....bankable names in the industry like Brad Southard who's stopped taking orders and designed this gorgeous piece (http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=788). I don't know about their internal designers...whether they focus more on design backgrounds or people who've been making knives for years...but any and all external designs I know of are from makers who've garnered a following.

They take in design considerations all the time, but follow through and all that is a bit tougher...I'm not entirely sure where you are with the design process, what papers have been signed and so forth, or even if negotiations are on the table for name privileges and what your profit share is gonna be (we're talking single digit cents on the dollar, just a heads up).

Good luck dude! Spyderco is a major volume brand in the industry!

I'm interested to see where this goes. If anything, it might be helpful to meet the team in person. They'll be at BLADE Show here June 5-8 down in Atlanta. I'll be there like always as well .

EDIT: Talked to a maker that has a collab out with Spyderco and he said the following:
"If they displayed interest at all, he is already in a small select group. But he should understand that there is still a chance for the project to no go through. Spyderco is also notoriously slow. My flipper took over 2 years from the prototype to seeing a product hit the shelves."

Good luck man!

Last edited by Praetorian; 2014-04-24 at 10:40 AM..
Praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote