Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
I'm on track for 3-4 million (high side) between both the wife's and I's 401k at retirement but only have about 200k today, with contributions hitting what we owe on our mortgage in probably 2-3 years.... so I have no idea where that number would move if we effectively started over, but were completely maxing out what we could contribute whereas today I think I'm only putting 12% towards it on my side, and I think 8% on the wife's side. Obviously taxes for early payout would kill us and it may actually be a timeline closer to 5-6 years before we could actually have the funds to pay the mortgage down to zero after taxes and penalties.

I need to post on reddit and let the financial gurus tell me what would be smarter.
We have over half a million in our accounts, and I briefly entertained the idea of cashing out to a no debt situation, and while the idea of being debt free sounds awesome, the math doesn't work. You have to pay your 10% penalty, then you'll pay income tax on top of that, which on top of your household income puts that at anywhere between 33%-38% (state + fed). All in, you'll see about 52-57% the money you try to withdraw from your retirement account. That's money that could be growing.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/investing...al-calculator/
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote