phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):
Dislikes (Given):
Dislikes (Received):

I'm not going to get into what I think you should be invested in but based on current market research, most analytics are pushing towards the average investor being recommended to strive to put away 15% (including company match). so just bear that in mind.

that's shaded a bit by the fact that the analytics I'm getting are coming from the recordkeepers (who get paid as a % of your assets so they've got a built in incentive for average participants to have larger balances) but that's what I'm hearing to ensure retirement readiness and guarantee a certain standard of living into extended retirement. definitely look at the electronic tools that your plan's recordkeeper has available (many have stepped up their game in that regard in the last couple of years) as that will help you get a realistic look at your situation as well.

as Lox said, the idea of a TDF is to appropriately diversify your portfolio given an assumed retirement date. one thing to pay attention to is whether or not your plan is using "to" or "through" TDFs but generally the assumption is that the TDF should be 100% of the assets for optimal diversification. if you're a more aggressive investor or you're forced to be because of a later start at saving you might consider pushing out 5-10 years on where you think you'll actually retire then pull back as you get closer to retirement.
Hamilton on requiring Congressional supermajorities "...its real operation is to embarrass the administration, to destroy the energy of government, and to substitute the pleasure, caprice, or artifices of an insignificant, turbulent or corrupt junto, to the regular deliberations and decisions of a respectable majority." - Federalist No. 22
phreakdna is online now   Reply With Quote