Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):
Dislikes (Given):
Dislikes (Received):

Originally Posted by bwiencek View Post
Like $75 cheap enough?

ANY 'hands on' experience in setting up mock networks is going to help a lot with the confidence and be able to speak to someone during an interview. Don't worry about the more advanced stuff - concentrate on the basics as that's what most everyone uses every day....

If you get a lower rank job we'd just expect you to be able to do the simple tasks and keep the senior guys from having to do things like reset ports, fix flow control issues, add a VLAN to a trunk, look at port status / statistics for errors, know basic sub-netting and where/why you might use them (i.e. /29's for comm links or transit networks, /24's for server networks, etc.), do simple static routing, understand the BASICS of OSPF and EIGRP. Know how to reset a single switch port to factory default configuration and on the flip side know how to setup a port to talk to a single server or a huge VMWARE host with many servers on different networks (i.e. LACP/PAgP a collection of ports with a trunk with multiple vlans), HSRP. Then just being around the equipment, having curiosity, and a little common sense you can pick up a lot of the practical remainder that you just read about on the job...

Remember that you'll probably come into a company with a network that is mature, has been already setup, has evolved over time, and has a lot of moving parts and you will just start off "tweaking" the configs or fixing problems vs setting a whole bunch of gear up from scratch so when I interview folks for entry level positions I don't concentrate on the setup items that you do once per device (like generate crypto keys for SSH, setup SNMP, etc.) I tend to concentrate more on their logic, troubleshooting skills (i.e. if they know commands to look at relevant things when troubleshooting. etc.) and then their willingness to dig in, learn, and be part of the team/fit in.
that is true, it will likely be mature.

the troubleshooting bit I haven't gotten too far in as i'm familiarizing myself with the CLI with the sim software that came with the book... of course being the "lite" version it's pissing me off since not all commands are supported.

i'm currently getting used to using the ( what I've come to call) the almighty question mark, typing in part of a command or parameter and using tab and switching between user mode, privileged, and config modes. basically just trying to get used to it enough that it just kind of flows.

so far the only real Tshoot command it's utilized is show interfaces status, and maybe show mac-address table, haven't gotten into the line protocol down interface up type of stuff yet or how to figure out what network layer the issue resides on ect. i'm like 20 chapters away from the troubleshooting section of the book.

also my curiousity got me more on your NAT setup so I had to think about it over and over and over again and realized that using the IP address forwarding to the nat at the remote facility would have it automatically convert based on the subnet class and number sequence so it wouldn't require configuring forwarding at the remote site, and i'm assuming the NAT IP with ISP provided I.P. would remain static.

however looking into what other people do for overlapping subnets at remote locations, i'm wondering why not use an IPsec and VPN, they seem a little more secure

and 75? let me talk to my partner in crime, if he doesn't want to split costs, I may very likely nab it up myself.
Zetex is offline   Reply With Quote