Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):
Dislikes (Given):
Dislikes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetex View Post
so I did a little search on the ASA 5505, interesting. how cheap are we talking?

I've heard good things about GNS3 cisco's from what I read ( packet tracer) is really buggy.
Like $75 cheap enough?

ANY 'hands on' experience in setting up mock networks is going to help a lot with the confidence and be able to speak to someone during an interview. Don't worry about the more advanced stuff - concentrate on the basics as that's what most everyone uses every day....

If you get a lower rank job we'd just expect you to be able to do the simple tasks and keep the senior guys from having to do things like reset ports, fix flow control issues, add a VLAN to a trunk, look at port status / statistics for errors, know basic sub-netting and where/why you might use them (i.e. /29's for comm links or transit networks, /24's for server networks, etc.), do simple static routing, understand the BASICS of OSPF and EIGRP. Know how to reset a single switch port to factory default configuration and on the flip side know how to setup a port to talk to a single server or a huge VMWARE host with many servers on different networks (i.e. LACP/PAgP a collection of ports with a trunk with multiple vlans), HSRP. Then just being around the equipment, having curiosity, and a little common sense you can pick up a lot of the practical remainder that you just read about on the job...

Remember that you'll probably come into a company with a network that is mature, has been already setup, has evolved over time, and has a lot of moving parts and you will just start off "tweaking" the configs or fixing problems vs setting a whole bunch of gear up from scratch so when I interview folks for entry level positions I don't concentrate on the setup items that you do once per device (like generate crypto keys for SSH, setup SNMP, etc.) I tend to concentrate more on their logic, troubleshooting skills (i.e. if they know commands to look at relevant things when troubleshooting. etc.) and then their willingness to dig in, learn, and be part of the team/fit in.